ADVERTISEMENT

The 3-2-1 - Updates on top targets that visited Texas recently; spring game thoughts; commitment prediction

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1713274951220.png

THREE THINGS WE LEARNED

1. Caleb Chester is a priority target for Texas

Fort Bend Marshall cornerback Caleb Chester hasn’t received the recruiting headlines that some other prospects have in the 2025 cycle, but it might be time for that to change. Chester, a three-star prospect out of Fort Bend Marshall, visited Texas last weekend and the UT coaches made him a priority throughout the day, even telling him he’s the top corner on their recruiting board.

“I would probably say what stood out was all the attention. I had four to five staff members, coach (Terry) Joseph and coach Pat (Crowley) with me at all times. Their message to me, they just constantly let me know I’m the number one cornerback on their board,” Chester said. “We were talking about football, how I could be used, the development process of things when I get to Texas, if that’s where I decide to go to.”

Chester also got some time with Steve Sarkisian on Saturday’s visit.

“That was probably like my fifth or sixth time talking to coach Sark. It’s always good talking to him,” Chester said. “We were talking about life, football, development of things, what’s going to go down on my Texas official visit.”

Chester dropped a top five on Friday of last week and he has official visits set to those five programs. He’ll start with TCU (May 3), then hit LSU (May 31) with Texas (June 7), Texas A&M (June 14) and Arkansas (June 21) rounding out his list.

During Saturday’s stop in Austin, Chester was able to take in the Longhorns’ scrimmage. Like most other sources Orangebloods.com spoke with that day, cornerback Manny Muhammad was singled out by Chester for his play.

“The development of the young guys stood out. They all looked really good, especially Manny Muhammad. He was just different,” Chester said. “He had like four picks, a bunch of plays. On the field, he’s just such a smart player.”

Chester plans on committing in the summer, before his senior season begins. The football element of his decision will obviously be big, but he said academics and proximity will also be factors he’ll consider. Chester wants to study business, and UT’s reputation in that area is something he’s well aware of.

“A lot,” Chester said on if the McCombs School of Business is a factor. “It really gives them an edge.”

Chester said all the schools in his top five are pretty even as his key run of official visits approaches.

2. An in-state race is shaping up for Jackson Christian

Port Neches-Groves offensive lineman Jackson Christian was in Austin on Saturday and he’ll return on Tuesday to watch another UT practice. That can’t be a bad sign.

During the weekend visit, Christian said he accomplished quite a bit, including spending time with the coaches, bonding with some players and getting an in-depth look at the campus.

“The atmosphere of the practice (stood out). It was very nice. It was up and down but they're going in the right direction, I believe. They practice in DKR. The atmosphere was pretty cool in there,” Christian said. “It was a lot of energy. I can see myself playing here and going here. We got to see the dorms and everything. They're pretty nice. And then how coach Flood coaches is a big thing.”

Christian has official visits set up to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. As things stand right now, he said the Longhorns and Aggies are setting the pace. He’ll likely wait until after his official visits to make a commitment, but said he feels he has a good handle on things after having taken several visits this spring.

“I have most of the information. So it's just about making a decision right now,” Christian said.

3. Texas is an early contender for 2026 LB Tank King

The Longhorns put an offer on the table for 2026 LB Tank King last week, and on Saturday King made his way to Austin for a visit. The Rivals100 member said it was a good experience overall.

“I was soaking everything up. Texas really treats you like family,” King said. “I was really surprised and grateful for this visit.”

During the stop in Austin, which included watching Saturday’s scrimmage, King got to see some familiar faces.

“I saw Jaylon Guilbeau. He’s from Port Arthur. He’s dang-near my brother. I saw Tyanthony (Smith). We work out together and he’s dang-near blood,” King said.

It’s very early for the 6-2, 205-pounder, but King said Texas is “really up there” for him and he has a few schools that have his attention.

“Notre Dame. I’m going up there next week. Texas A&M. I know Texas fans are not going to be happy with that. Those are the only top schools I have right now, and UT,” King said.

******​

IMG_2634.JPG

TWO QUESTIONS

1. What are five things I’ll be watching at the Orange-White game?

1. The play of the QBs – We’ve heard Quinn Ewers’ name mentioned from sources in practice reports, but it hasn’t always been these overwhelmingly rave reviews. Is that because so much is expected of Ewers and he’s such a known commodity that it’s not a big deal when he has a new day? Is it a matter of getting his timing down with the new receivers? Not sure. We’ve heard positive reviews of Arch Manning, but also some reports that he’s still growing on the job, as should be expected.

2. The running back rotation – Is CJ Baxter the main guy? Can Jaydon Blue surge to the top of the depth chart? Is the Tre Wisner buzz legit?

3. The interior defensive line – There’s no way this group doesn’t drop off from last year’s performance, but how much of a drop should be expected? Hearing on Saturday that the OL dominated the DL in red zone work is a bit alarming.

4. The receivers – All right Ryan Wingo, show us what you’ve got. This feels like a spot where Johntay Cook might show out. How will the incoming transfers look and will one guy look like the go-to receiver?

5. Edge rushers – I’m not worried about the secondary, despite the statistical struggles from last year. I’m more curious to see if guys like Trey Moore and Colin Simmons can make an impact in getting to the passer (not to mention guys like Ethan Burke, Barryn Sorrell and Colton Vasek).

2. Texas is squarely in the mix for DB Aiden Anding

Ruston (LA) cornerback Aiden Anding is a pretty new offer for Texas, with the staff having extended a scholarship on March 29. Anding said he had been waiting on that offer and he’s still on cloud nine having Texas added to his list.

“Man, it still feels unreal. I was telling some friends of mine, ‘I want to go to Texas.’ That’s a school I’ve been looking at. Then like a week later, the director of personnel texted me and then coach Joseph ended up calling me like three days later. It was really shocking,” Anding said.

Anding took a visit to UT on April 6 and said he enjoyed that experience, including meeting Terry Joseph. The UT offer and that trip to Austin has the Longhorns high on his list.

“They’re up there in the top three. They’re in the top three for sure,” Anding said, adding that Arkansas and Miami would round out his top three.

Anding’s official visit schedule will see him at Miami on May 31, TCU June 7, Arkansas June 14 and Texas on June 21. He’d like to decide on a college before his senior year at Ruston begins.

As for what has Texas in his top three, Anding said it’s a little bit of everything.

“The environment, the support system by the fans. It’s a good program overall and seeing how many people get developed to go where they want to go. A lot of people come here to go to the league,” Anding said. “And they have a good academic program, especially for business, what I want to major in. I could see myself getting developed here and going to the next level.”

******​

ONE PREDICTION – Texas lands Caleb Chester

After talking to Caleb Chester this week, I get the feeling that his eventual choice will come down to either Texas or Texas A&M. Yes, he has a top five and will visit all five schools, but this one looks to be an in-state battle to me. Assuming Texas continues to prioritize him and push the right buttons, I like UT’s chances. His visit on Saturday went exceptionally well and if academics are important to him, as he says, the McCombs School of Business should push the Longhorns over the top. I’ll be entering my FutureCast pick for Texas soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News