ADVERTISEMENT

The ACC the best conference in football?

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
Believe it. My lord as recently as 2011 they were the worst conference in the country. Every year. Their conference champion always lost their bowl game It used to be FSU and a bunch of dwarfs. Then Bobby Bowden started to lose his touch and the Noles became a 500 team and FSU forced him to retire. Jimbo Fisher came in and they're back on top. But they also hired Dabo Sweeney, Justin Fuente, and especially Mark Richt. Does anyone remember a column called the bottom ten? There were times when the guy who wrote that column ranked the entire ACC in the bottom ten. They were that bad. This year?

They are 8/2 in bowl games and if Clemson wins it will make them 9/2. Let me tell you an ACC team that isn't FSU or Miami winning a NC is amazing and that's putting it mildly. They're having unprecedented success in football.

Last edited:
May not ever happen again but I dont think there is any debate that the ACC is the best conference in CFB this year. I am a bit surprised that there has been very little talk about it since it should be a big story.

Believe it. My lord as recently as 2011 they were the worst conference in the country. Every year. Their conference champion always lost their bowl game It used to be FSU and a bunch of dwarfs. Then Bobby Bowden started to lose his touch and the Noles became a 500 team and FSU forced him to retire. Jimbo Fisher came in and they're back on top. But they also hired Dabo Sweeney, Justin Fuente, and especially Mark Richt. Does anyone remember a column called the bottom ten? There were times when the guy who wrote that column ranked the entire ACC in the bottom ten. They were that bad. This year?

They are 8/2 in bowl games and if Clemson wins it will make them 9/2. Let me tell you an ACC team that isn't FSU or Miami winning a NC is amazing and that's putting it mildly. They're having unprecedented success in football.
would love to see Texas join the ACC... guess that's a pipe dream.

How long ago did Danny Ford get fired? Didn't Clemson get almost the death penalty? Seems like mid 80's.

I just looked him up....He won the National Title for Clemson in 1981....the youngest ever coach to do so. Clemson soon went on probation, but for violations under the previous coach, but continuing under Ford. Ford was later cleared by the NCAA and stayed at Clemson doing very well until he resigned in 1992.

How long ago did Danny Ford get fired? Didn't Clemson get almost the death penalty? Seems like mid 80's.

Yes they almost got the death penalty. Danny Ford took them to the nc in 1981. But right after that they got slammed by the NCAA and it set their fb program back for a long time. Clemson does have some fb history but by no means are they a blue blood. Mostly they were a speed bump for Bobby Bowden's seminoles.

Great post...they have been rolling this year. 11/14 bowl teams, Hiesman winner and runner-up. Also one of the premier MBB leagues in the country with the Big 12.

Strange they are not getting more pub. What's more strange is that the SEC is not getting throttled for the fact that they are Bama and the 13 dwarfs this year. Its getting mentioned, just not at the level that it should.

Great post...they have been rolling this year. 11/14 bowl teams, Hiesman winner and runner-up. Also one of the premier MBB leagues in the country with the Big 12.

Strange they are not getting more pub. What's more strange is that the SEC is not getting throttled for the fact that they are Bama and the 13 dwarfs this year. Its getting mentioned, just not at the level that it should.

The critics are waiting for the outcome of the Clemson/Alabama game before they start writing about the ACC.

Btw, I'm impressed with the coaches the ACC has hired the last few years. They hired Justin Fuente, and Mark Richt, and both men look like they can take their teams to the next level. As a BYU fan I'm pulling for Bronco Mendenhall at VA. Paul Johnson won the Orange Bowl a couple of years ago and I think he went 4/0 against the SEC this year. And one more coach they hired. Have you noticed this fella Dabo Swinney?

ACC was the best this year. They normally are number 2 in NFL draft picks, so they have some talent. They have some geographical advantages. Florida, Georgia, Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland, DC, are good places to recruit.

ACC was the best this year. They normally are number 2 in NFL draft picks, so they have some talent. They have some geographical advantages. Florida, Georgia, Carolina's, Virginia, Maryland, DC, are good places to recruit.

I knew FL was a good place to recruit only TX sends more players to college.
What I didn't know until I noticed why Clemson is so high in recruiting ratings is that a lot of their players out of GA. I had no idea that GA had that much talent.

Yes they almost got the death penalty. Danny Ford took them to the nc in 1981. But right after that they got slammed by the NCAA and it set their fb program back for a long time. Clemson does have some fb history but by no means are they a blue blood. Mostly they were a speed bump for Bobby Bowden's seminoles.

You're incorrect on the NCAA thing. Clemson wasn't setback by the sanctions. They got two years probation from the NCAA in 82-83, plus an extra year from the ACC in 84. They went 25-6-2, plus 54-16-2 from 85-90, so no, probation didn't hurt them.

Ford was later cleared by the NCAA and stayed at Clemson doing very well until he resigned in 1992.

1990, not 92, and he got fired.

I knew FL was a good place to recruit only TX sends more players to college.
What I didn't know until I noticed why Clemson is so high in recruiting ratings is that a lot of their players out of GA. I had no idea that GA had that much talent.

Georgia is loaded with high school football talent. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia produces as many, or more college FBS football players per capita than the big 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT