ADVERTISEMENT

The defense

q1w2e3

Mar 2, 2005
I think this is a good article by Chip on the defensive struggles the last two weeks. He thinks it’s because they switched out of the lightning dime package and went to a 3-3-5 to mimick Iowa State’s “cloud” coverage.
This created a bad combination of no pressure on the quarterback and can’t stop the run. Iowa State sacked Grier seven times while Texas didn’t even get a speck of dust on his jersey.

I hope they go back to the lightning package for Tech.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...dd-Orlando-UT-defense-124244260/#124244260_13

I think this is a good article by Chip on the defensive struggles the last two weeks. He thinks it’s because they switched out of the lightning dime package and went to a 3-3-5 to mimick Iowa State’s “cloud” coverage.
This created a bad combination of no pressure on the quarterback and can’t stop the run. Iowa State sacked Grier seven times while Texas didn’t even get a speck of dust on his jersey.

I hope they go back to the lightning package for Tech.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...dd-Orlando-UT-defense-124244260/#124244260_13
I don’t understand why we changed from a defense that was working to a dysfunctional defense? Just because Iowa State runs that defense surely we can run it more effectively?

The biggest issue with the D for the last I don't know how many years is the lack of push of front from the D line. I know that they only rush 3 guys at times but the opposing qbs have like 10 minutes back in the pocket. We have to find a way to bring in guys that can get that push up the middle or we will continue to struggle against teams with talented qbs.

Reactions: Cotton #12
D line is garbage. If Nelson and O ( end can't spell his name) don't play lights out we suck. We need pass rushers..in the big 12 we don't want Fatty's we want pass rushing d line and fast athelath lbs like Gary Johnson. The secondary will be fine as soon as Boyd and Locke are gone.

1. We lack experienced depth. We have talent but it does not know how to play college level ball.

2. Why are we copying what other people do? If we cannot be original in our scheme, then get the guy(s) who are.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
The way to beat Tech and the spread offense is to get to the QB in 1001,1002 1003 and if not Tech will burn you bad.I watched Ole Miss destroy TECh under Leach in the Cotton Bowl because they had a front four that destroyed passing rhythm of the QB.Because of our DL Texas will have to be more creative with blitzes from LB and Db"S to pull it off.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
The way to beat Tech and the spread offense is to get to the QB in 1001,1002 1003 and if not Tech will burn you bad.I watched Ole Miss destroy TECh under Leach in the Cotton Bowl because they had a front four that destroyed passing rhythm of the QB.Because of our DL Texas will have to be more creative with blitzes from LB and Db"S to pull it off.

Bowman will kill out blitzes. It comes down to the pass rush by the DL. The air raid is designed to kill aggressive defense. No DL push, no win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT