ADVERTISEMENT

The Die has been Cast for Texas Coaches

Malibuhorn

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2003
Fort Worth
www.blacklandfw.com
With the hiring of Bob Bowman in April and now Jim Schnosslagle fresh off his national title appearance, CDC went out and secured the best two coaches in two non-revenue generating sports and sent the message that you're expected to win the conference title at the least and compete for a national title every year in every Texas sport. We've always wanted it to be like that, but it hasn't been. And if you look at the roster of current Texas coaches, I think there are two outliers on the staff with 2024-2025 likely to be their last year at Texas, especially when you look at the expectations, performance, accomplishments and success of the other Texas teams around them. You get paid a lot to coach at Texas, but with that comes the exepctation to be great. Wiht NIL and the transfer portal, there are no more excuses not to be great.

Elite Texas Coaches (have won at least one national title):
Bowman: Michael Phelps coach, former US Olympic coach, lead Arizona State to the national title, already seeing the best in the world transfer to follow him at Texas.
Elliott: Three national titles. Built Texas into a Volleyabll powerhouse.
Fields: Won multiple national titles in men's golf; 9 conference titles.
Berque: National Title in 2019, multi-time conference champion, Final Four 3 times out of the last 5 years.
Floreal: Multiple NCAA and conference titles in track.
Ianello: Won a national title in women's golf at her alma mater.
O'Neill: Back-toback national titles in rowing.
Joffe: Two national titles. 4 conference titles.

Really good/Trending Toward Elite (have everything but a national title):
Schnosslagle: Lead TCU and A&M to the College World Series 7 times in the last 14 years; multiple conference championships, arguably the best coach in college baseball.
Sark: Won the conference, made the College Football Playoff, is building a juggernaut.
Schaefer: Two time national coach of the year, Elite 8 three of the last four seasons with Texas, won multiple conference championships. Took Miss. State to the national title game. Final Four twice.
White: Conference winner, finished #2 in softball the last two years in the same conference as softball powerhouse and four-time consecutive national title winner OU.

Outliers on the Hot Seat:
Only three programs finished outside of the top 20 in 2023-2024 season (an incredible accomplishment). Baseball, men's basketball and women's soccer.
Terry: Inherited a 7-1 team and won the Big 12 Conference Tournament Champion and led Texas to the Elite 8 in 2022/23. 21-13 last year, 2nd round tournament exit.
Kelly: 13 years as head coach, one conference title, no wins ever at TCU and the farthest she's ever taken Texas is the Sweet 16 (please correct me if that's wrong).

I'm actually surprised Kelly still has a job in light of her performance over an incredibly long amount of time, especially compared to every other Texas program, but soccer aside, this has to be a make or break year for Terry. I'm rooting for the guy, but in terms of what he's shown to this point with coaching, recruiting, the transfer portal and NIL, I'm skeptical. Here's hoping he proves me wrong, but I have a feeling our next two hires will be men's basketball and women's soccer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News