ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday Pulpit (via Loewy Law Firm): A rebuild is the only remaining option

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Loewy-Orangebloods-Banner-20200830-large.jpg

Adam Loewy is one of the top personal injury lawyers in Austin. Adam is a proud graduate of the University of Texas School of Law and started his law firm in 2005. Adam helps people who have been injured in car crashes, slip and falls, dog bites, and other assorted ways. He is actively involved in every case he handles and is always available to talk or text. If you or a loved one has been injured, call the Loewy Law Firm today at (512) 280-0800.

Morgantown, W.Va. – It is over.

Texas technically has one more game remaining in this disappointing season, but Longhorn athletic director Chris Del Conte cannot put a Ferris wheel on Bevo Boulevard big enough to excite this fan base. We cannot even joke about the importance of getting seniors to a bowl game anymore. Texas is currently 4-7 and most Longhorn seniors need to focus on life after football, which will begin after the season finale against Kansas State on Friday. Of course, this gives us plenty of time to focus on things that were overlooked and have been overlooked the past four years as we prepared for those pesky bowl games.

Now is the perfect time to tell Aunt Gladys to leave the potato salad with raisins for Thanksgiving at home this year. You can safely get arrested for assaulting @drunk randoke at Walmart on Black Friday for an air fryer and not worry about missing the Kansas State game. When was the last time you took the family to Trail of Lights? The Christmas lights show at Mozart’s Coffee Roasters is calling our names. We will not have to worry about celebrating New Year’s Eve in New Orleans or at a bowl game in Texas this year. Our holiday calendar is wide open.

However, you may want to invest in a hard hat.

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian's only remaining option is a rebuild.

“I think the first thing to (say to) the fan base is don't think that our players aren't working hard and trying hard,” Sarkisian said after his team’s 31-23 loss against West Virginia on Saturday. “Our guys are battling and they're competing. I give them a lot of credit and I just told them that [after the game]. Clearly, we're not a finished product. This has been a journey that we've been on. This has been a difficult stretch that we've been on as a team and as a university, as a fan base, but we've got a lot of Texas fight left in us. We’ll continue to battle. We continue to compete. I think our future is very bright here. And I'm looking forward to the days when the ball game is done and we sing The Eyes of Texas and not have to listen to their song.”

Many Longhorn observers are looking for someone to blame for a soundtrack that resembles the Charlie Strong years.

Track 1: Baking That Cake For My Baby.

- Texas is not bowl eligible for the first time since 2016. The only other Big 12 team that is mathematically eliminated from bowl contention is Kansas.

- Texas is currently on a six-game losing streak, the program’s worst skid since dropping eight in a row in 1956.

- According to reporter Robert Behrens, Sarkisian is the first Texas coach to finish his first regular season as head coach below .500 since Dana X. Bible in 1937.

- According to Action Network reporter Darren Rovell, there has only been four Longhorn football losing streaks that lasted five games or longer since the program started in 1893.

I do not know how many years this season has taken off our lives, but it has to be a historic number as well.

The optimism Sarkisian shared during his initial press conference is cringe-worthy upon review.

“I'm super excited about the team, just in general,” Sarkisian said. “I think this is a very talented football team. I got a chance to watch them a few times this season. There’s a lot of talent on this team. I think there's championship talent on this team. Clearly, there's work to be done or a change wouldn't be made. That's a responsibility of mine that we have to get that done.”

Sarkisian echoed those sentiments a few moments later.

“First of all, I'd like to say that this is a talented roster,” Sarkisian said. “There's plenty of good football players on this team to go win a championship with.”

Ten months later, Del Conte pointed to a lack of talent during his recent newsletter.

“With all that said, it's important that we discuss the reality of the situation facing Coach Sark and our Football program. It came up in Monday's press conference and is something we've talked about. This isn't to cast any blame or make excuses; it's just factual that we have some real depth issues. As injuries mount, it's even more glaring. When you look at it, 52% of our 2018 signing class and 46% of the 2019 class are no longer here. That's nearly half of the student-athletes from two classes that were ranked as the third-best in the nation and should be making up the juniors and seniors on our roster today. Overall since 2018, we've lost 33 percent of the last four classes. That's a lot of attrition to manage. And when it rains, it pours. We had 25 guys miss practice last week due to a flu bug and virus and missed three others who were out due to COVID-19 protocols.”

Del Conte’s numbers were informative but did not provide much context. It was hard to know if Texas’ attrition rates were normal or out of the ordinary.

As a result, I spent way too much time researching the Big 12’s attrition numbers during 2018 and 2019 to provide you with a point of reference.

Spoiler alert: It is difficult to draw a concrete solution based on the numbers.

1. Kansas (48th ranked class) – 77 percent
2. TCU (28th ranked class) – 65 percent
3. West Virginia (33rd ranked class) – 62.5 percent
4. Kansas State (23rd ranked class) – 60.8 percent
5. Texas Tech (74th ranked class) – 58.8 percent
6. Oklahoma (8th ranked class) – 56.5 percent
7. Texas (4th ranked class) – 52 percent
8. Oklahoma State (35th ranked class) – 37.5 percent
9. Iowa State (54th ranked class) – 27 percent
10. Baylor (32nd ranked class) – 26 percent

1. Kansas (70th ranked class) – 53 percent
2. Baylor (33rd ranked class) – 52 percent
3. Texas (4th ranked class) – 46 percent
4. Kansas State (68th ranked class) – 41 percent
5. West Virginia (46th ranked class) – 38 percent
6. Oklahoma (5th ranked class) – 29 percent
7. TCU (29th ranked class) – 21 percent
8. Texas Tech (57th ranked class) – 21 percent
9. Oklahoma State (40th ranked class) – 20 percent
10. Iowa State (47th ranked class) – 13 percent

I was impressed with Iowa State’s ability to retain players.

However, Iowa State is currently 6-5, and the lack of attrition did not help the Cyclones this season. Iowa State finished 9-3 last season, while Texas was 7-3 and did not face Kansas due to covid in 2021. Assuming Texas defeated Kansas last season – talk about a sad caveat – the Longhorns finish 8-3. In addition, Baylor's attrition numbers fluctuated, but the Bears are currently 9-2.

Texas faced attrition in 2018 and 2019, but that is not the smoking gun.

Plus, it is not fair to put it all on the players.

Remember when Herman made the mistake of saying, “If we all thought that we were going to come in here and in nine months sprinkle some fairy dust on this team and think that we've arrived then we're wrong" after the loss against Maryland in year one?

If that rings a bell, so should the response to Herman’s comment by Urban Meyer, something every Longhorn observer, including myself, applauded at the time.

"That's like, when I got here, everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBS Sports. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done.

"Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players.

"You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely. I love you, and I'm going to kick the shit out of you, and we're going to do it right …

"[Blaming players] drives me insane."

Being secretly taped while trying to get a lap dance in peace probably drives Meyer insane, too.

Nevertheless, the message was valid.

We can debate for hours about how this mess was created.

Regardless, Sarkisian is the head coach, this team has regressed, and he must clean up this mess.

And that six-year deal will not mean much unless Sarkisian figures out how to win at Texas soon.

Sarkisian said he could easily see 33 new players on the fall roster. Considering Texas will host UTSA, which is currently 11-0, and Alabama, which is freaking Alabama, the majority of those new players need to have an immediate impact. In addition, Sarkisian and his staff must have more success acquiring talent in the transfer portal next year than they did before this season.

The first-year coach said he intends to become more involved in the defense this offseason. The Longhorns could have used his input after West Virginia. Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski and Sarkisian cannot afford another bad season.

Austin American Statesman reporter Brian Davis asked Sarkisian if he will evaluate everyone in the program over the next six days.

“Well, I do that daily now,” Sarkisian said. “That hasn't changed from where I’m at.”

Diehard Longhorn observers evaluate this program daily, too.

You may want to invest in a hard hat.

Sarkisian's only remaining option is a rebuild.

Funniest Things You Will See This Week

The dangers of an open bar

I love the initiative

Videos like this could convince me to bring a dog into my home one day

Sports On A Dime

1. Sarkisian on this year’s setback: “The practice would be great, would be nice. I think inevitably, for us, it's about the psyche and the mindset. We've got to finish this season strong Saturday and we owe it to our seniors. We need to celebrate them this week. They've given a lot to this university and to a lot to this program. We'd like nothing more than to send them out with a win in their last game at DKR. And that's really where we're at. As far as the extra practice time, sure, we'd like that. The reality of it is, as we build this thing, as we build this culture, recognizing that this has clearly been a difficult stretch for our players and for our coaches. I feel for those guys because they battle, they compete. I say it all the time, they come to work every day. They give us what they got. We just haven't broken through yet. That's the biggest frustrating part. Every game, it seems like there's a different story to tell of why that didn't happen. I hate it for the guys because they do bring it every day and they compete. I'm proud of them. I told them that because they could have folded the tent today. They didn't. They battled their way back and they gave themselves a chance to be in that game late. Unfortunately, just couldn't make the plays to do that.”

2. Texas quarterback Casey Thompson’s performance against West Virginia was one of his worst performances this season. Texas was 0-for-5 on third-downs in the first half against West Virginia. Thompson completed 4-of-14 passes for 29 yards (31.7 passer rating) before he was benched. When Thompson had the opportunity to redeem himself in the fourth quarter after Hudson Card left the game with an injury, he threw an interception. I think there are plenty of college programs that would want Thompson on their roster. A change of scenery might be good for Thompson, unless he wants to engage in another quarterback battle at Texas next year.

3. Sarkisian on Hudson Card’s performance: “I thought he was playing well. It's unfortunate. Casey was not 100 percent coming into the game. I think that was evident. He just couldn't throw the way I know he's capable of throwing. I know it was frustrating for him. It's frustrating for us because I think we had some opportunities for some plays and then we didn't catch the ball great early in the game either to help him out. When we went to Hud at halftime, I thought Hud competed his tail off. Gave us a chance. Had a couple of nice drives and then he gets injured. It's a questionable call. We have to look at it if it was late or not. Then you got to go back to a guy who's obviously not 100 percent healthy. Then he gets hurt and then you got to go back to Hud, who clearly wasn't 100 percent healthy. Definitely, adversity struck today, especially in the fourth quarter from the quarterback position, but really all day long. I appreciate Hudson and Casey battling, knowing they weren't 100 percent, or close to 100 percent, but they gave us what they had.”

4. I want to clarify Sarkisian’s statement about The Eyes of Texas after the loss against West Virginia. Longhorn players and coaches assembled in the corner of the end zone to wait for their band, located on the third level, to start playing the song. However, “Country Roads” by John Denver was blasting on the PA system as West Virginia fans sang and shouted "S-E-C, S-E-C, S-E-C." Sarkisian’s team was forced to witness West Virginia's celebration. The Longhorns eventually left the disrespectful scene and headed to the locker room.

5. If you are looking for a bright spot, Texas running back Keilan Robinson rushed nine times for 111 yards and one touchdown, while Roschon Johnson carried 15 times for 77 yards and one touchdown. Alabama coach Nick Saban’s reference to Robinson before Saturday seemed unnecessary.

6. Another bright spot was this past week was 37 Longhorn football players were named to the 2021 Academic All Big 12 Team. First team members consist of those who have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA while the second team selections hold a 3.00 to 3.19 GPA.

To qualify, student-athletes must maintain a 3.00 GPA or higher either cumulative or the two previous semesters, and must have participated in 20 percent of their team’s scheduled contests. Freshmen and transfers are not eligible in their first year of academic residence. Senior student-athletes who have participated for a minimum of two years and meet all the criteria except percent of participation are also eligible.

Academic All-Big 12 First Team (Name, Major)
^Junior Angilau, Corporate Communication
Jahdae Barron, Physical Culture & Sports
Skyler Bonneau, Sport Management
#Cade Brewer, Sport Management
Vernon Broughton, Undeclared
*Ryan Bujcevski, Corporate Communication
Jett Bush, Government
Hudson Card, Business
Keondre Coburn, Sport Management
Alfred Collins, Undeclared
Kitan Crawford, Physical Culture & Sport
*Cameron Dicker, Marketing
Zach Edwards, Applied Movement Science
Jaylan Ford, Undeclared
Jaylen Garth, Economics
Sawyer Goram-Welch, Economics
*Tope Imade, Sport Management
^Roschon Johnson, Management
^Christian Jones, Sport Management
Andrej Karic, Youth & Community Studies
*Derek Kerstetter, Sport Management
*Justin Mader, Mechanical Engineering
Jake Majors, Business
^Kai Money, Biology
* Moro Ojomo, Finance
Denzel Okafor, Sport Management
Logan Parr, Corporate Communication
Bijan Robinson, Undeclared
T’Vondre Sweat, Youth & Community Studies
^Casey Thompson, Sport Management
~Gabriel Watson, Liberal Arts*
^Jared Wiley, Physical Culture & Sports
Al’Vonte Woodard, Physical Culture & Sports

Academic All-Big 12 Second Team (Name, Major)
Luke Brockermeyer, Applied movement Science
Jerrin Thompson, Physical Culture & Sports
Travis West, Finance
^Jordan Whittington, Public Relations

#indicates fourth career selection
*indicates third career selection
^indicates second career selection
~indicates nominated with a 4.00 GPA

7. Texas senior linebacker Ben Davis finished with seven tackles (five solo) and one sack. Props to Davis for excelling when given a chance during what had to be another frustrating college football season for him. I give Davis credit for persistence and a positive attitude.

8. Seven receptions, 80 yards, and one touchdown for freshman receiver Xavier Worthy. Marcus Washington was the only other receiver with a reception (one catch for 10 yards) against West Virginia.

9. Congratulations to the Drayton family. Family is more important than football, a life lesson we may need to remember throughout the upcoming offseason.

10. Shawn Porter's father said the reason he stopped the fight against Terence Crawford on Saturday night is because of his son's lack of preparation. Porter was knocked down twice before his father stepped in. I think he should have allowed his son to continue fighting. However, as a father, I would intervene if there was a chance my son could sustain long-term damage in a fight. It is time for us to see Errol Spence Jr. versus Crawford in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News