ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday Pulpit (via Loewy Law Firm): Can Steve Sarkisian duplicate 2020 success?

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Loewy-Orangebloods-Banner-20240131-large.jpg

Adam Loewy is one of the top personal injury lawyers in Austin. Adam is a proud graduate of the University of Texas School of Law and started his law firm in 2005. Adam helps people who have been injured in car crashes, slip and falls, dog bites, and other assorted ways. He is actively involved in every case he handles and is always available to talk or text. If you or a loved one has been injured, call the Loewy Law Firm today at (512) 280-0800.

Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian’s greatest masterpiece as a play-caller arguably occurred when he was an offensive coordinator at Alabama in 2020. Sarkisian’s offense guided Alabama to a national championship that year. The Crimson Tide curb-stomped Ohio State during the championship game. However, it is hard to fully appreciate everything Sarkisian accomplished because the majority of college football fans were focused on navigating life.

That was also the year we were dealing with the pandemic. Every parent tried to figure out how to keep bored kids entertained throughout the day when they were not staring at their respective Chromebooks and trying to learn. We had to scheme a plan like Oceans 11 to obtain toilet paper and paper towels. Adults had to figure out what the heck a Zoom call was and how to hit the mute button. People endured layoffs. Some people lost their businesses. To mask or not to mask, that was the question. That does not include the The Eyes of Texas controversy. It was hard to sit back and enjoy college football when our world was in chaos.

Somehow, Sarkisian cultivated a play-calling masterpiece during that madness.

It begs the question.

Can Sarkisian duplicate his 2020 offensive success at Texas in 2024?

Now, to be fair, I warned Chad Hastings.

This topic is one Hastings raised a few months ago when he co-hosted The Old Fashioned Show with me. I warned Hastings that I would steal this idea like Mark Zuckerberg, and he could forget an out-of-court settlement. I tabled that column idea for a later date.

However, Chad and I discussed that topic on Thursday, and I believed this would be a great time to write about it – with the proper attribution, of course.

I found an article on TideSports.com that sets the foundation for what Sarkisian accomplished that season:

“The 2020 Crimson Tide broke at least nine school records, and its three offensive standouts — quarterback Mac Jones, running back Najee Harris and wide receiver DeVonta Smith — broke dozens of individual records.

“While most of the record book changes required are due to offensive excellence, the black mark of the season — the offensive performance Ole Miss had against Alabama — will also live in UA’s record books. The Rebels’ 37 first downs and 647 yards were both UA records.

“Alabama’s offense set the school record for yards per game, 541.6, breaking the 2018 team’s mark of 522. It also broke records set by the 2018 team in team completions (324, beating 301, in 2015) and passing first downs (210, beating 195).

“The team also broke the school records for passing yards per game (358.2, previously 342.2 in 2019), points per game (48.5, previously 47.2 in 2019), and first downs per game (28.07, previously 24.8 in 2007).”

2020-Alabama-Football-Stats.png

Let us look at each position and see if we can envision it.

QB Mac Jones and Quinn Ewers

According to TideSports.com, “Jones did not stop at setting a school record for single-season passing yards with 4,500, doubling as just the second 4,500-yard season in SEC history. He also set the school record for total yards with 5,414 and total yards per game at 347.2, breaking records set by Tua Tagovailoa in 2018 and 2019, respectively.”

Jones finished with 4,500 passing yards, 41 TDs, and four INTs.
2020-Alabama-Passing-and-WR-Stats.png

Last season, Ewers threw for 3,479 yards, 22 TDs, and six INTs.

How does Ewers obtain an additional 1,021 yards in a season?

The formula is simple.

It begins with Ewers staying healthy. Ewers has battled injuries during his two years as a starter at Texas, plus his final year of high school football. He missed two games last year due to a clavicle sprain.

Let's say Ewers throws for 300 yards in those two games he missed last season. That would give him an additional 600 passing yards.

What about the other 421 yards?

Ewers would need to eliminate the head-scratching performances.
Quinn-Ewers-Game-Log-2023.png

He completed 11 of 21 passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns against Wyoming.

Ewers completed 23 of 29 passes for 211 yards and two touchdowns against Houston.

He completed 17 of 26 passes for 196 yards, one touchdown, and one interception against Texas Tech.

If we see the Alabama-Ewers (349 passing yards), Oklahoma-Ewers (346 passing yards), or Oklahoma State-Ewers (452 passing yards) more often, the quarterback box can be checked.

RB Najee Harris and CJ Baxter

Former Alabama RB Najee Harris put up numbers that would make most professional gamers jealous.

Harris rushed 251 times (my goodness) for 1,466 yards, and 26 touchdowns (Lawd, have mercy). He had 43 receptions for 425 yards and four touchdowns.

He finished with 1,891 scrimmage yards and 30 touchdowns.

Clearly, Baxter would need to have one heck of a season in 2024.

Nevertheless, Sarkisian’s running back history indicates the starter will receive a heavy workload.

2023 (Texas)
Jonathon Brooks - 187 carries, 1,139 yards, 10 TDs
CJ Baxter - 138 carries, 659 yards, 5 TDs

2022 (Texas)
Bijan Robinson – 258 carries, 1,622 yards, 18 TDs
Roschon Johnson – 93 carries, 563 rushing yards, five TDs

2021 (Texas)
Bijan Robinson – 195 carries, 1,127 yards, 11 TDs
Roschon Johnson – 96 carries, 569 yards, five TDs

2020 (Alabama)
Najee Harris – 251 carries, 1,466 yards, 26 TDs
Brian Robinson Jr. – 91 carries, 483 yards, six TDs

2019 (Alabama)
Najee Harris – 209 carries, 1,244 yards, 13 TDs
Brian Robinson Jr. – 96 carries, 441 yards, 5TDs

2017- 2018 (Atlanta Falcons OC)

2015 (USC)
Justin Davis – 169 carries, 902 yards, seven touchdowns
Ronald Jones – 153 carries, 987 yards, eight touchdowns

2014 (USC)
Javorius Allen – 276 carries, 1,489 yards, 11 TDs
Justin Davis – 129 carries, 595 yards, four TDs

2013 (Washington)
Bishop Sankey – 327 carries, 1,870 yards, 20 TDs
Jesse Callier – 48 carries, 213 yards, three TDs

2012 (Washington)
Bishop Sankey – 289 carries, 1,439 yards, 16 TDs
Dezden Petty – 29 carries, 99 yards

2011 (Washington)
Chris Polk – 293 carries, 1,488 yards, 12 TDs
Jesse Callier – 47 carries, 260 yards, 1 TDs

2010 (Washington)
Chris Polk – 260 carries, 1,415 yards, nine TDs
Jesse Callier – 77 carries, 433 yards, zero touchdowns

2009 (Washington)
Chris Polk – 226 carries, 1,113 yards, five touchdowns
Demitrius Bronson – 19 carries, 89 yards, zero touchdowns

WR Devonta Smith and ???

Here are the records Smith broke, according to TideSports.com

“On the way to the Heisman Trophy, Smith set single-season and career records on both the school and SEC levels for receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, eight records in total. He went for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns this season and 3,965 yards and 46 touchdowns for his career. He also set a school record for career receptions with 235, breaking Amari Cooper’s record of 228.

“Single-game performances of Smith’s will also be etched into the record book. His 15 catches against Florida was a school single-game record, breaking marks set by DJ Hall once and Cooper twice.

“His 28.8 yards per catch (over at least eight catches) against LSU was also a record, breaking the record held by David Palmer for his performance against Vanderbilt in 1993. Against LSU, Smith had eight catches for 231 yards and three touchdowns.

“Smith’s nine 100-yard games this season also broke a record shared by Hall (2006) and Cooper (2014) with seven each. Those nine pushed Smith’s career 100-yard games total to 14, tying the record also held by Cooper.”

It was easy for me to create a path for Ewers to match Jones.

For that to occur, Isaiah Bond or Johntay Cook II would need to take one heck of a tremendous step.

To be fair, former Alabama receiver Jaylen Waddle missed the majority of the 2020 season with an ankle injury. If Waddle was healthy, Smith’s numbers may have been lower.

Regardless, duplicating Smith’s success will be a challenge.

TE Jahleel Billingsley/Miller Forristall and Gunnar Helm and ???

Once upon a time, Billingsley was viewed as one of the nation's best tight ends. He had 18 receptions for 287 yards and three touchdowns during the 2020 season at Alabama.

In addition, Miller Forristall had 23 receptions for 253 yards and one touchdown. Forristall entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2021 and has been on the practice squads of Tennessee, Cleveland, New Orleans, Cleveland, and the Rams.

We know Helm is better than Billingsley. Helm beat him out for playing time last season. Billingsley became so frustrated, he quit Texas before the season ended.

Amari Niblack, Juan Davis, and Helm will battle for playing time this season. Davis is currently the No.2 tight end, but that could change in the fall.

Texas should be able to match Alabama’s 2020 success at the tight end position.

Offensive line

Here was Alabama’s starting offensive line that season

LT – Alex Leatherwood (1st round pick/Las Vegas in 2021)

LG – Devonte Brown (6th round pick/Carolina in 2021)

C – Landon Dickerson (2nd round pick/Philadelphia in 2021)

RG – Emil Ekiyor Jr. (signed as an undrafted free agent with Indianapolis in 2023)

RT – Evan Neal (1st round pick/New York in 2022)

Kelvin Banks Jr., DJ Campbell, and Cam Williams are future NFL draft picks. Maybe an NFL team falls in love with Jake Majors? We need to see Neto Umeozulu as a starter before formulating an opinion.
2FOUB4OCG5EOJDDZSWGHD7BLHU.jpg

Photo via Alabama

Texas might have an offensive line that matches 2020 Alabama – or is pretty darn close.

Many college fans did not closely examine the success of Alabama’s offense in real-time.

Danny Ocean was giving us the blueprint for a toilet paper heist.

However, the 2024 Texas Longhorns have a chance to duplicate that success.

Thanks, Chad.

Funniest Things You Will See This Week

They gave that poor woman a heart attack

A clean joke that is guaranteed to make you laugh

This cannot be real … but it may resemble your company

This is what happens when you finish last in fantasy football

The worst horseback ride ever (adult humor/NSFW)

Sports On A Dime

1. Tyler RB Rickey Stewart Jr. has enough for Tashard Choice to work with. He is a good north-south runner with speed. After watching his tape, I noticed Stewart does not always switch the ball to another hand to protect it. That is a weakness Choice should be able to clean up.

2. Texas LT Kelvin Banks on the improvements he has witnessed in Neto Umeozulu: “I'll say every aspect of his game. Eto is an aggressive player. I feel like that's always been there for him. He's never lacked aggressiveness, but just him understanding the game and what goes into different things, like making different calls and stuff like that. I feel like that part of his game has improved a lot.”

3. Banks on the players he mentors on this team: “I would say probably. Trevor Goosby, Brandon Baker, Andre Coje, and Jaydon Chatman. Those four guys, I feel like I've tried to stay on them real hard. Letting them know hey, you might do good, but you could have did this better on that route. Even if Coach Flood gets on them, I'll double down on it and try to help them some more ... Those four guys, they get the playbook very well. I feel like that's not a problem, but just their mentality of knowing, hey, I got to get here in this amount of time, or I got to stay in this position to make this block.”

4. Texas sophomore linebacker Anthony Hill on Mo Blackwell: “He's playing fast and physical. He’s playing way faster, way physical. And he feels like he's getting better every day. Same with (David) Gbenda. I feel like both of them are really good football players for us.”

5. Hill on helping to recruit Collin Simmons: “I talked to Colin every day. I feel like he reminds me so much of myself. He's gonna be an elite football player. I expect him to be three-and-done. That's the standard he set for himself and for him. I feel like he's just going to be getting better every day. Taking little steps, just learning and getting better. From Barryn Sorrell and Tre Moore, just learning a little from them every day, he’s going to be amazing.”

6. Texas sophomore running back CJ Baxter on the transition from high school to college football: “At Egdewater, I ran straight gap scheme runs. When I got here, I had to explain my horizons. With Coach Sarkisian, we run outside zone, and inside zone. We still implement the gap scheme. But coming here, expanding my horizon, when it's time for me to go to the next level, I feel I'll be accustomed to it.”

7. Baxter on splitting carries: “My high school career was really crazy in a sense. I compare my freshman year of high school to last year, my freshman year of college. I say that because my freshman year of high school, I was behind one of the top backs in the country [Isaiah Connelly]. He ran for like 2,200 yards in the regular season, 1,000 in the postseason, I was behind him. I would get some carries. Last year, it was the same in a sense. I split carries. When I look back, I was like God did this on purpose. He made me go through what I went through my freshman year and my freshman year of college because He was challenging me to see how I respond.”

8. The most important observation by Colorado football coach Deion Sanders was how NIL attributes to some players choosing not to focus on academics. Seeing players who care less about classwork is nothing new. However, their decision to ignore classwork because they are getting paid – legally – in college is new. It is just another road coaches must navigate.

9. I questioned my decision to buy last-minute tickets to attend Austin FC’s game against San Jose with my sons after falling behind 2-0. After Sebastian Driussi’ made the game-winner moments before the end of regulation, and my little men went wild, I felt great about the decision.

10. Good luck, Jake Paul

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News