ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday Pulpit (via Loewy Law Firm): Let us talk about the defensive line ...

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Loewy-Orangebloods-Banner-20200830-large.jpg

Adam Loewy is one of the top personal injury lawyers in Austin. Adam is a proud graduate of the University of Texas School of Law and started his law firm in 2005. Adam helps people who have been injured in car crashes, slip and falls, dog bites, and other assorted ways. He is actively involved in every case he handles and is always available to talk or text. If you or a loved one has been injured, call the Loewy Law Firm today at (512) 280-0800.

Texas will enter this season with a lot of offensive weapons in its arsenal.

Bijan Robinson is a Heisman Trophy candidate. Winning the award will be tough to accomplish, but Robinson is still one of college football's best players. Xavier Worthy is a receiver to keep an eye on in the Biletnikoff Award race. Pitt receiver Jordan Addison won it last year as a sophomore, but Worthy will be in the conversation. Former Wyoming receiver Isaiah Neyor was viewed as one of the top transfer portal prospects in the country and joined the Longhorns after last season. The tight end room is stacked with talented players. Oh, and Quinn Ewers, the quarterback we expect to start, is a former 5-star prospect.

In addition, Brennan Marion left Pitt to join Texas this season and is one of the top receivers coaches in the country. Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice is a former fourth-round draft pick and spent six seasons in the NFL. Kyle Flood has an excellent reputation for coaching offensive linemen. Oh, and Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian is known for his ability to develop quarterbacks.

However, Sarkisian's collection of offensive toys will not mean much unless his defense improves.

More specifically, the defensive line.

“We obviously have a deep group with a lot of the guys returning, with some of the new faces,” Sarkisian said when I asked him about the defensive line earlier this past week. “Obviously, Justice [Finkley] is there now. A lot of new faces up front. I think one of the keys is finding that right rhythm from a rotational standpoint for us as a staff as we move forward. Two, I think we've got really talented players there. If we can get to a point where they play a really dominant brand of football, which I think we're capable of doing. Part of that is scheme. Part of that is technique. Part of that is not trying to save themselves but really cutting it loose knowing that we have the depth at that position. Because that's, to me, and you guys know me well enough on this, you win football games up front. I think we have a chance to be good up front.”

Hopefully, for Longhorn fans, Sarkisian is correct.

Texas has lacked a defensive line that can directly impact the outcome of games.

Well, in a positive way.

The Longhorns have struggled to consistently disrupt quarterbacks for multiple years. That inability to pressure opposing quarterbacks has allowed opposing passers to remain comfortable in the pocket and not speed up the clock in their heads. When quarterbacks are rushed, they make more mistakes.

What happens when it does not occur?

Another season of your dog hiding as you scream at the TV.

When you look at last season’s disappointing outcome, the offense struggled at times. Nevertheless, it was a constant struggle for the defensive line throughout the entire season.

Pop quiz.

Who led the teams in sacks last season?

Backup linebacker Ben Davis had 2.5.

Ovie Oghoufo had two, according to UT’s website.

Alfred Collins had two.

Bryon Murphy II had two.

Keondre Coburn had one.

Ray Thornton had one.

Vernon Broughton had 0.5.

Texas’ inability to apply constant quarterback pressure is why Kansas quarterback Jalon Daniels completed 21 of 30 passes for 202 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions while leading his team to 57 points during a road win against Texas.

Overall, Texas was ranked seventh in sacks within the Big 12 (20 overall).

Here is where Texas has ranked in sacks within the Big 12 since 2009, plus the overall team leader each season.

2021 – Texas, 7th (20 sacks); Oklahoma State, 1st (56 sacks)

2020 – Texas, 8th (17); Oklahoma, 1st (37)

2019 – Texas, 6th (27); Baylor, 1st (46)

2018 – Texas, 4th (32); Oklahoma State, 1st (39)

2017 – Texas, 2nd (31); TCU, 1st (42)

2016 – Texas, 2nd (41); TCU, 1st (43)

2015 – Texas, 4th (37); Oklahoma State, 1st (40)

2014 – Texas, 1st (40)

2013 – Texas, 1st (39)

2012 – Texas, 1st (34)

2011 – Texas, 4th (29); Texas A&M, 1st (51)

2010 – Texas, 4th (30); Oklahoma, 1st, (37)

2009 – Texas, 2nd (42); Nebraska, 1st (44)

In addition, Texas ranked seventh in third-down conversions by opponents in 2021.

That partially explains why Texas was ranked ninth in time of possession last season (Texas Tech was last).

One of Sarkisian’s biggest challenges is getting back to the era when Texas stacked defensive linemen.

Every Longhorn football fan remembers the magical 2005 season. You have the Vince Young run memorized. Heck, you recall every moment of the national championship game.

Do you remember how stacked that team was on defense?

Tim Crowder, Frank Okam, Rodrique Wright, and Brian Robinson started on the defensive line against USC in the title game.

However, look at how deep that room was.

Texas was so deep, Brian Orakpo, a future first-round pick, was a situational player and the Longhorns still won it all.

Crowder, Okam, Robinson, Miller, and Wright emerged into NFL draft picks, too. Derek Lokey had a cup of coffee in the NFL as an undrafted free agent.

The good news is Sarkisian understands the importance of improving his defensive line.

Texas signed one of its best defensive line classes in recent memory. Will every player from the 2022 class emerge into a standout player? That typically does not happen.

Nevertheless, Kristopher Ross, Aaron Bryant, Jaray Bledsoe, Zac Swanson, Ethan Burke, J’Mond Tapp, and Justice Finkley have an opportunity to become the impact defensive linemen this program needs. Bledsoe, Bryant, Finkley are early enrollees.

There is also an opportunity for Alfred Collins to emerge into the standout player we witnessed as a freshman.

“It's about consistency, right?” Sarkisian said. “It's about trusting your fundamentals, your techniques, playing with really good pad level, playing with great effort, because it's not about the talent. What we're trying to minimize upfront is being some time players where you make one really great play and have two average plays. I think we have the capability to be dominant, play in and play out, and you got to empty the tank to do that. But it's okay to empty the tank knowing we're going to have a pretty good rotation at that position. For Alfred, it's trusting the fundamentals of techniques and playing with a level of consistency to his capability and to his standard.”

Every Longhorn observer knows this year’s offense is capable of explosive plays.

However, Sarkisian’s collection of offensive toys will not mean much unless his defensive improves.

More specifically, the defensive line.

Funniest Things You Will See This Week

The moment he went from boyhood to manhood

This might make you laugh out loud (adult humor)

Those with young children and grandchildren will appreciate this

Can we buy Hazel a traditional water bowl?

This video is not funny but guaranteed to make you smile

Sports On A Dime

1. Rori Harmon’s response to a question during media availability on Saturday:

Q. Rori, when you played Stanford in November, you torched them for 21 points. Did you expect that at any point during the game? Were you looking around thinking, I'm killing the national champ right now? Why do you think you've been able to adjust so well to college basketball?

Harmon:
"To answer your first question, I would say it did appear to me, wow, like we are doing pretty good against the defending national champs.
No, I have learned a lot this year, especially with just being a point guard under Coach Schaefer. It's a bit challenging, but just doing what he says, doing what I got to do, limiting turnovers. With our run right now, that's all we got to stay with."

2. This is just another reason to like and respect Texas women’s basketball coach Vic Schaefer:

Q. We just learned when your players were in here that because Rori is the baby of the group, they call her "Fetus." I wonder if you knew that and if you have a reaction to that? The more important question is, you said the other day you knew how special she was because of her motor. For her to go in in her second or third game of the season, take it to the defending champs, torch them for 21 points, was there any point you were in that game thinking, Damn, this girl is pretty good that I recruited?

Schaeffer:
"Well, to answer the question on the nickname, I don't think that's real appropriate. I would hope y'all wouldn't print that. That's something they do in the locker room. She's young. We probably could get a nickname for everybody in the room if we wanted to. Some might be worse than that one, or better.

"She's young. I think all those freshmen are really doing a great job, and they're a big part of our success. She's proven it throughout the course of the season. Obviously she's got a tremendous skill set. We've talked about that, y'all. What separates her is the motor.

"A lot of people have skill sets and don't have a motor. That's the thing, if you're going to play at the University of Texas, it's hard to play for us if you don't have a motor. So I think that's where she really separates herself really from a lot of people across the country, is how hard she plays.

"In this game, you know, we went in and we talked about some things that we felt like she could do. As we did with a lot of our players. That moment wasn't too big for her at a really early stage in her career. She's proven it many times since, that she's mature beyond her years.

"Again, I think a lot of it has to do with not just her skill set but her motor. That's what you get every day, y'all. I told y'all. In practice you're going to get that same motor every day."

3. Sarkisian on Bijan Robinson becoming more of a vocal leader: “I think it's been good for him. We did some different things in winter conditioning to try to empower more leaders on the team. Bijan being one of those guys. I think pretty much all of those guys embrace that role. The best teams I've ever been a part of, yes, as coaches we're trying to lead, but player-led teams. Those are the best teams I've ever been a part of, when they hold each other accountable in the locker room. And to do that you have to empower people to do it. Like I said, we tried to empower those guys in winter conditioning. Bijan was one of those guys and I think he got more comfortable in that role. And obviously, having a guy like Roschon [Johnson] to kind of model what that looks like, especially in his own room, I think is really beneficial for him.”

4. Sarkisian’s response when asked which receivers he wants to see step up during spring practice: “The more weapons we have on the field, the more people are dangerous that defenses have to be concerned. We don't want just one guy that we throw the ball to and one guy that we hand the ball to. The more weapons we have, hopefully, the more difficult we are to defend. There's a lot of opportunities out there ... Brennan [Marion] is a tremendous technician. This guy's one of the best coaches individually as far as a teaching technique, line of scrimmage, route-running, ball-catching ability, and I think the guys are buying into that. I think he really relates well to the players and they respond. He coaches them hard, but they respond to them."

5. Sarkisian on managing a limited number of offensive linemen until the incoming freshmen arrive: “Well, we had to adjust some. Generally, in spring practice, when we do a lot of our team stuff. We'd like to two-spot so that everybody's getting reps. We're just not able to do that right now with the number at the line position. We have six guys that are going to show up in the summer. Six more bodies. That affects the style of practice that we want to have but that's okay."

6. Sarkisian on what needs to occur for Andrej Karic to take the next step: “Consistency. Like a lot of the guys. There's a level of consistency needed to play at a high level. You guys have heard me say it's not a some-time thing. You can't be one play is great technique, good pad level, communicate really well, and the next play not, especially on the offensive line. When they make a mistake, generally it's pretty glaring. It's like playing cornerback. When a corner does the wrong thing, it's a touchdown. When an offensive lineman does the wrong thing, generally, it's a tackle for loss or a sack. You really have to fight to be as consistent as you can be on the line of scrimmage, and Andrej is no different. I think for him to go to the next level in his game, it's consistency, day in and day out, play in and play out.”

7. Sarkisian on the current level of buy-in from his team: “I said this to you guys last year. I think it's good but you got to ask the players that question. I feel great about it but they’ll tell you that.”

8. The NFL offseason rarely has this many fireworks. I hope NFL teams keep this same dramatic energy during next month’s draft.

9. The qualifying even for the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix was the wildest of my young journey into F1 racing. Ferrari is kicking and Mercedes is struggling. Meanwhile, Valterri Bottas has outqualified Lewis Hamilton and George Russell this season.

10. On March 22, 1967, Muhammad Ali defeated Zora Folley with a seventh-round knockout. It was Ali’s last fight for nearly four years after. However, that is not the most interesting of this battle.

Check out a portion of this fight recap on Boxing247.com:

“Folley had ten more fights after losing his one and only world title chance; with him going on to lose/draw more than he won. Retiring in 1970, this after suffering a 1st round KO at the hands of Mac Foster, Folley went on to serve as a member of the Chandler City council as well as being a good husband and father, this to nine kids. But then, on July 8, 1972, Folley died under mysterious circumstances.

“Folley checked into a hotel, this under a false name, and he was with another man and two women at the time. Folley then became the victim of a nasty accident/incident, having fallen, or having been shoved, into the hotel swimming pool. Zora reportedly suffered a head injury and he later died in hospital. To this day, nobody knows who the other three people who were there that day were, nor does anyone know how Folley had “several injuries to his head,” including a “hole in his head.” And this from an alleged accidental fall into a pool? The autopsy was never made public and all Zora’s fans knew was that he was dead.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News