ADVERTISEMENT

The TCH War Room: Lots of portal talk; Damonic Williams talks Texas; QB recuiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1714083200225.png

(From Anwar)

--- Texas is looking to add depth at cornerback through the transfer portal. The staff’s priority is finding a defensive tackle to join the Longhorns. However, I was told cornerback is the other position Texas is kicking the tires on.

--- Of course, the most obvious name Longhorn fans have discussed recently is Arizona cornerback Tacario Davis. OB previously reported that the staff is interested in Davis, a cornerback who entered the transfer portal in January. However, Davis is participating in spring practice. Arizona’s spring game will take place on Saturday.

I checked in with someone close to the Arizona program on Thursday and the Wildcats are optimistic Davis will remain with the program. In fact, that person believes Arizona and Washington are currently the biggest contenders for Davis.

I was told Davis has a close relationship with Arizona defensive coordinator Duana Akina. In addition, Davis has a great relationship with Star coach Brett Arce and senior defensive assistant Chuck Cecil. Those close to the situation are optimistic those relationships will pay off for Arizona.

When I asked why Davis entered the portal, it appears Davis wanted to give the new staff a chance this spring before making a decision.

One person who has attended every practice told me Davis has not practiced this week due to an undisclosed injury. He was seen limping around the practice field. There is a chance Davis will not play on Saturday if the staff wants to play it safe.

--- Now, with all due respect to the Arizona staff, a lucrative NIL opportunity is a game-changer in the transfer portal. In my opinion, all bets are off if the NIL opportunity in Texas is better than Arizona’s.

--- If Texas cannot obtain a cornerback in the transfer portal, I was told the Longhorn staff is confident with their remaining options. The sense of urgency surrounding the defensive tackle position is greater than the cornerback position.

--- There is nothing new to report as relates to Vernon Broughton’s status at Texas. I know there was a lot of speculation about his future with the Longhorns. However, he remains with the program.

--- One person expressed a slight frustration with the SEC's rule that states players who transfer within the conference during the spring transfer portal window must sit out a year. Players who transferred before February 1 could play immediately (Texas and Oklahoma are included in the rule). I was told multiple SEC players would love to play for Sarkisian, but they do not want to miss a year of football.

--- I was told Sarkisian’s meetings with players this week have gone well. As of Thursday morning, there were not any rumors of more players who will enter the portal. Nevertheless, players have until April 30 to enter their names in the transfer portal.

(Suchomel)

- Former defensive lineman TCU Damonic Williams wrapped up his Texas official visit on Thursday. He was scheduled to hit Colorado next but has replaced that trip with Missouri. He’ll then hit LSU on Monday and is planning to have a final decision on Wednesday of next week. Some other schools (including Oregon) were in play but Williams said he’ll likely just focus on those four schools that he’s visiting.

- The Texas visit, as one would expect, went well.

“It was very good. I really appreciate the staff bringing me out here. The team is very family-oriented, and that’s what I look for in a program,” Williams said.

The message from the Texas coaches was pretty simple … “That they want me. I can see how badly they want me,” Williams said.

- Williams isn’t tipping his hand right now on potential leaders. He’s visited both Texas and Oklahoma and said those trips matched up pretty evenly.

“They’re neck and neck at this moment. They’re both very good programs, both have what I look for,” Williams said. “They’re both family-oriented, both need interior d-linemen, both need to get that decision filled up.”

- After completing his LSU visit, Williams said he’ll sit down with the people close to him and go over the pros and cons of the schools he’s considering before announcing his decision on social media.

Williams and I didn’t get into NIL discussions, but reading the tea leaves on this one, it does feel like a situation where those kinds of opportunities will be very important to him and those close to him.

- Some fans have asked me if the performances of Arch Manning and Trey Owens in the spring game might have a negative effect on Texas QB commitment KJ Lacey, who was in Austin for the game.

People wonder if Lacey, being such a high-profile QB, is going to want to sit behind Arch Manning for two years, especially if there’s no guarantee he’d be able to beat out Owens, who seems to be ahead of schedule in his expected development.

My thoughts … First off, trying to project three years down the road is a fool’s errand. So much can change from year to year. What if Arch stays just one year after Quinn Ewers leaves? Hell, what if something happens to Ewers this year and Arch takes control of the job and never looks back? What if it’s Owens who decides he’d like to try his hand somewhere else? I’m not expecting any of that, but stranger things can definitely happen.

More on point, in talking to Lacey, he seemed genuinely thrilled at the way the QBs played. If anything, I get the sense that it just further reinforces to him why he chose to play for Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee.

“It was good. Trey did really good. Arch did really good. I feel like if Quinn was in there for longer, he would have found his rhythm. He’ll be good when the season starts,” Lacey said, while grinning ear to ear.

- Lacey didn’t say he has completely shut things down with other schools but said he’s “getting there.” He has no other visits scheduled other than the trip to Austin for his official visit on June 21. He spent most of his time in Austin hanging out with the other Texas commitments that were in town, and he even did some recruiting of his own (he specifically mentioned big OL Nick Brooks, who was at the game.”

- The message from the Texas coaches to Lacey on the most recent visit was to let it be known to anyone and everyone that he’ll be quarterbacking at Texas, and use that platform to recruit others to Austin with him.

“The whole thing was just getting the recruiting class going, making it known that I’m going to be here so other people will come on and join,” Lacey said.

- It’s been an interesting week for Duncanville QB Keelon Russell.

Russell visited Texas on Sunday and while he LOVED the visit, he did not pick up a UT offer. On Wednesday, he picked up an offer from Alabama … the same Alabama staff that hasn’t really prioritized KJ Lacey the way Nick Saban’s staff did.

Russell is pretty open that a Texas visit would be big in his recruitment. Would he be willing to be part of a two-QB class over opportunities at other schools where he’d be the only QB taken? Not sure on that one.

I did ask Russell how he’d feel if a Texas offer came later in the process, like next fall. He said he’d probably be too far invested with whatever school he’s committed to (be it current school SMU or someone else) at that point.

- Hitchcock wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson continues to add official visits. Currently, he’s got dates locked in with Texas, USC, TCU and Texas Tech. He’s working on setting one up with A&M.

I’ve felt for a while this one probably comes down to either Texas or USC, with Texas currently holding the edge. I still feel that way after speaking to Johnson last weekend.

- Johnson was at the Orange-White game and like everyone else, was impressed with Ryan Wingo.

“They’re always talking about how good he was but he really showed up. He’s good,” Johnson said.

Perhaps as important as Johnson having a good time … his mom enjoyed the visit and her time with the UT coaches.

“My time with the coaches is always a good time. I just wanted my mom to come up here because she’s never really interacted with all the coaches. She really liked it,” Johnson said.

- A couple of quick notes on two of the Longhorns’ top 2026 OL targets, starting with John Turntine. The North Crowley product attended UT’s spring game and really enjoyed it, including watching Kyle Flood in action.

“I can tell that he’s a great man. He always tries to get me out here to Austin. He always makes sure I have a great time. I don’t know a lot about his coaching style. I haven’t talked to any of his players, but I can just tell from meeting him, that he’s a great person,” Turntine said.

Texas may have a bit of a built-in advantage in this one.

“One big thing to me is location. Both of my sisters and my cousin go to school right down the street. It would be cool to go to school in the area with them. The location of Texas is a big thing,” Turntine said, before noting that his older sister will start at UT in the summer.

- IMG Academy 2026 OL Breck Kolojay, who is originally from Colorado, visited Texas a couple of weeks ago. It was his second visit after having camped at UT last summer. It’s early, but Texas is in a good spot.

“It’s up on my list, up there,” Kolojay said of Texas. “Definitely when I camped last year and go offered, I was very excited. But this visit, talking with the players, talking with the coaches more, it’s up there for me. It’s going to play a huge factor in my recruitment.”

- Jasper tight end Kiotti Armstrong dropped a top 10 this week, for those of you keeping score. Florida State, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Baylor, Auburn, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M and Ole Miss made the cut.

Armstrong has an official visit to Texas set up for June 21. He also has plans for official visits to Baylor, LSU, Florida State, Auburn and Texas A&M. We still expect this one to come down to the Longhorns or the Aggies in the end.

- Cornerback Courtland Guillory picked up a Texas offer in February but at that time Oklahoma was the team to beat due to him having seen the OU campus. Guillory would then visit Texas in March and told us it was 50/50 between Texas and OU coming out of that visit. Then came another trip to Norman last weekend for the Sooners’ spring game. Now, Guillory is set to announce his commitment this coming Sunday. The timing of that announcement isn’t a coincidence with the Sooner likely wrapping this one up. Guillory does have a Texas visit scheduled for June 7 so we’ll follow up with him after his decision to see if that trip will still take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News