ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (On Caleb Johnson, Mathis, Hall, Manning and more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1650586898715.png

(Suchomel)

UCLA transfer linebacker Caleb Johnson visited Miami late last week and then was in Austin Monday through Wednesday for an official visit. We caught up with Johnson on Thursday morning and he told us he was still trying to officially decide between Texas and Miami.

A few hours later, Johnson issued the following tweet …

Coming into the Miami visit, most felt like Johnson would be a ‘Cane before he left town. That didn’t happen, but there was still some chatter that Miami would eventually be the pick. Even Johnson himself was seeing himself in South Beach before he visited Texas, but the UT visit made more of an impression than Johnson thought it would.

“It was a good visit. I didn’t really know what to expect. It was a different environment, different vibe,” Johnson told OB. “It was really just completely different people there. Different facilities, everything.”

Texas stressed to Johnson how badly he’s needed and how he could be successful in the new staff’s scheme.

“They said I’m a need, not just somebody they want. I like everything they had to say - the way they said I would fit and how they would use me in the defense,” Johnson said. “I liked that a lot. They really went in depth on my film, watched every single one of my games.”

Johnson said his choice will come down to which place he feels he can make a big impact, which staff can develop him and the people he’s going to be playing with. Both Texas and Miami have “a very big need” at linebacker, he said, before also noting that some of the familiarity with the players on the Texas roster gives Texas a bit of a boost. Of course, some of that could be negated by his former UCLA teammate, Mitchell Agude, transferring to Miami.

We’ve picked up what I would call cautious optimism from people we’ve communicated with on the UT side of things. To be fair, those same vibes were being sent from Miami last week (even stronger), making this one tough to pin down, but I’ll stick with my pick of Texas as of writing this.

(Anwar)

It did not take long for former Alabama receiver Agiye Hall to fall in love with the University of Texas.

He was ranked as the 72nd best prospect in the nation and a 4-star prospect by Rivals. Hall was a standout receiver in last year’s spring game but played sparingly as a freshman. He finished with four receptions for 72 yards in 2021. However, Hall entered the transfer portal on April 7 when it became evident Alabama was not the best fit for the receiver from Florida.

A few days later, Hall and his family were in Austin for an official visit. Former Alabama assistant coach Jeff Banks recruited Hall in high school and reached out on behalf of Texas to gauge the family’s interest in becoming a Longhorn. That previous relationship, which was based in trust and respect, is the main reason why the Halls decided to give Texas a chance.

Hall visited Texas this past weekend and I was told the family loved every aspect of their visit. The visit went so well, one source told me the Halls wished they visited UT earlier.

After a great visit, Hall committed to Texas on Tuesday night. Hall became the fourth former Alabama player to transfer to Texas since former Tide offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian became the Longhorn head coach. Linebacker Ben Davis and running back Keilan Robinson transferred from Alabama to Texas last year, while former Tide tight end Jahleel Billingsley joined the team earlier this offseason. According to AL.com, Hall is the first of that group who never played at Alabama while Sarkisian was there.

The transparency of Sarkisian and his staff is one of the reasons why Hall decided to join the Longhorns.

Sources close to Hall’s recruitment told me Sarkisian never approached the family like a used car dealer. They were not trying to perform a sales pitch.

Instead, I was told the messaging about the program and vision for Hall was consistent throughout the building.

Banks was the first point of contact for the Halls after Agiye entered the transfer portal. The family was comfortable with Banks but eagerly anticipated sitting down with Sarkisian in-person. Their interaction with Sarkisian would determine if they wanted to continue entertaining the Longhorns.

When the family met with Hall and his family, I was told Sarkisian’s sincerity won them over.

Sarkisian and Banks’ messages coincided. Nothing was promised. However, I was told Sarkisian and the staff shared a plan that outlined how Hall could earn playing time immediately and in the future. It appears the plan to utilize Hall was explained better than what was expressed at their previous program.

In addition, Hall developed an instant bond with his future teammates. I was told his personality matched the current players on Sarkisian’s team, and they described Texas as being more natural than what the Hall’s previously experienced.

Heck, the Halls were happy to learn there are two direct flights on Southwest from Tampa to Austin. Previously, they flew into Birmingham and drove over an hour to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Every aspect of UT made the choice easy for the family.

Hall is finishing his classes at Alabama this week and will arrive at UT in late May. That is when Hall will begin summer workouts with his new team.

It did not take long for Hall to fall in love with the University of Texas.

That can be attributed to Sarkisian and Banks.

Staying with the transfer portal, Sarkisian has the opportunity to obtain another coveted prospect.

Former TCU defensive Ochaun Mathis will have an official visit to Texas this weekend. Mathis has taken two unofficial visits to Texas this spring. He recently visited Nebraska, but it appears Texas is the team to beat.

And according to Mathis, he intends to decide by the end of April.

Mathis, a two-time All-Big 12 selection, entered the transfer portal at the beginning of January. He started in 34 games for the Horned Frogs and recorded 135 tackles, including seven for loss and four sacks in 2021. Before that, Mathis led the team with nine sacks and ranked second with 14 tackles for loss during the 2020 season.

His eagerness to visit Texas multiple times is a great sign for the Longhorns. Former TCU coach Gary Patterson is a special assistant on Sarkisian’s staff, and even if Mathis’ mother recently told OB that would not be the determining factor, it does not hurt.

We will keep you posted.

Here is a small nugget to file away.

Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning decided to skip the spring games of programs on his shortlist. The family wanted to attend at least one practice of the schools they are interested in.

Texas, Georgia, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss remain on Manning’s list.

A source told me the Mannings informed each program they do not intend to make another visit until the summer. So far, they have not revealed which programs they intend to visit or when.

Nevertheless, Texas is one of the top teams on that shortlist.

FROM ALEX DUNLAP:

With the "spring game"/open practice/scrimmage at the top of everyone's minds, here are our projected offensive and defensive depth charts among scholarship players. As many of you know, we have not had any access to practice during team periods this spring, and extremely limited access otherwise, so there are a few question marks about how personnel will be handled. But through so much sourcing of practice notes and intel from sources around the program dating back to just after spring break, we can project a pretty solid picture of who we're likely to see with what units come Saturday:

Spring Depth Chart Projection (Offense - Click To Enlarge)

2022-Depth-Chart-O-spring-2022-4-21.jpg

A few quick thoughts:

- I've reported all spring that the sources say the QB playing behind the first OL always looks like the better QB at practice. Given the extremely thin numbers along the OL, it only makes sense that a traditional 1s vs. 2s game-setting was going to leave one unlucky signal-caller looking bad unnecessarily and possibly end up getting them hurt. As you can see, Texas is likely to have at least one walk-on starting with the second group here in a few days and this would have still been the case even if Karic and Hookfin were not injured.

- Big opportunity on tap for Hayden Conner and Cole Hutson to put some reps on tape for Coach Flood to watch for the next month or so. He'll have a microscope on them. If they can look the part, both will be on paths to contribute and, mainly in Conner's case, even possibly start in the fall. The LT position is wide open as of now, and with a continued good showing in the scrimmage, Conner could see himself at the cat bird's seat at the all-important LT spot headed into fall. It isn't like Karic has shown a lot to this point and the freshmen are ... well ... freshmen. They're damn good freshmen, but sometimes coaches will defer to familiarity and seniority at the most critical positions on the field when all else is equal.

- If this Orange/White scrimmage is anything like the glimpses of practice we've been able to see, fans should finally get a look at the Ja'Tavion Sanders many had projected him to look like coming out of high school. He needed a year to develop and he's made the most of it.

- Expect to see Billingsley in a specialty role split out in the slot and used if Texas does go to any 4WR looks.

- If the staff is going to put Bijan Robinson on ice for this game, might it be wise to do the same for your other nationally celebrated offensive skill player, Xavier Worthy? The fact is that you'd probably need wild horses to pull Worthy away from a chance to compete, it's just the guy he is, but it was one of the first things we discussed as a staff at OB when hearing Bijan would be put on ice for the affair.

- They are at the bottom of the depth chart now, but Brooks, Hullaby and Blue are all good players and fun guys to watch in their own ways. They'll be big pieces of what the offense does in a 2023 world, post-Bijan and Roschon. Getting extra looks at those guys will be a good thing although they're going to have to do a lot of creating on their own behind the second-team OL. With Bijan held back, maybe we could see Brooks get some work with the ones.

Spring Depth Chart Projection (Defense - Click To Enlarge)

2022-Depth-Chart-EDIT-of-D-spring-2022-4-21.jpg

A few quick thoughts:

- It's looking like Barryn Sorrell is going to be a pretty big piece of the Texas defense in 2022, so seeing how he's developed strength-wise should be an area of focus for fans. It would be nice to see him get some reps versus Hayden Conner who is powerful at the point-of-attack to see how he holds up.

- It's the same story as last year, but the interior DL looks very strong on paper. Whether it can live up to its potential is another story. Vernon Broughton has flashed this spring, but he's got Ojomo and Collins to deal with at his own position. Collins, himself, has looked like a different guy this year and has been a fixture with the first group from all we've seen. Byron Murphy, by all reports, continues to look like the meanest SOB of the bunch, and was, of course, the most productive defender for Texas last year on a per-snap basis. It feels like seniority alone is keeping him behind Coburn for now. All this without even mentioning T'Vondre Sweat, who Sark talked up at today's pre-spring game PC, as a player they're moving around to get involved. That's a lot of good players (again; on paper) and a group that should not be the abysmal liability it was last season. Many love Bo Davis for his emotionally charged rant on the bus last year, but the fact is he needs to get more out of these guys in 2022 and fans should certainly hope the spring game could be a harbinger of good things to come.

- With Brockermeyer out, Hullaby moved to RB and Blackwell moved to safety, the inside linebacker corps is one of the thinner-looking units on the field. You can see why the staff is so hot after Caleb Johnson.

- Corner is all of the sudden a little thin as well with Barron playing nickel, Crawford playing safety and Guilbeau and Ibraheem out with off-field trouble. Guilbeau was having a solid spring until his incident and should be in play for the two-deep once fall camp commences barring unforeseen obstacles regarding his situation or other impediments. It will presumably be an excellent chance to get a look at one of the consensus favorites among Texas recruiting observers from the 2022 class in Terrence Brooks.

1650587049307.png

(Suchomel)

Texas hosted 2024 five-star quarterback Julian Sayin on an unofficial visit on Tuesday, the third time the Cali standout has visited the UT program.

“I loved it. I was able to get in there at 6:30 in the morning to go through meetings, then go to practice with them,” Sayin said. “I loved it because I was able to get into meetings when they were doing install and watch what they were doing, then go out to the field and see it all come together. It was just a really great time.”

While at practice, Sayin kept a close eye on the quarterbacks and said he came away impressed with what he saw and how Steve Sarkisian handles that position.

“I like the way coach Sark is holding them accountable at practice. He expects a lot from his quarterbacks,” Sayin said. “I thought Card and Ewers both spun it, and my boy Maalik from California, he was out there spinning it coming back from injury.”

Sayin followed up his Texas visit with a trip to Florida. He’s at Penn State on Thursday. As it stands right now, he said he’s mostly considering four programs – Michigan, Notre Dame, Georgia and Texas – but didn’t rule out the possibility of Florida climbing into that top grouping.

On what has Texas in such a good spot …

“It was kind of my childhood dream school growing up, just because of the tradition and the history that Texas has. But also with the new coaching, coming in with Sark, and how he can develop quarterbacks,” Sayin said. “He had six quarterbacks as top-10 picks when he’s been coaching. That’s pretty crazy. I love the new staff over there - Coach Milwee - they’re all great guys.”

The nation’s No. 5-ranked prospect overall, Sayin is hoping to commit in October of his junior year to help build the 2024 class around him at whichever school he chooses. I asked him how closely he’s watching to see what Arch Manning might do since Manning is considering some of the schools on Sayin’s list.

“I love competing but there are a couple guys you have to watch for and see where they go. I think Arch is a guy that you kind of watch out to see what school he goes to. It would definitely be tough coming in behind him,” Sayin said.

The UT staff has really focused in on only a couple QBs in the 2024 class (Sayin and Dylan Raiola), something the staff stressed to Sayin on his visit.

“They just talked about how they’re very selective. I think they’ve offered two guys in my class. I think it’s only Arch in the 2023 class. So they know who they want and it takes a certain type of person at Texas and to play quarterback there,” Sayin said. “So they’re very high on me, and I just love talking to coach Milwee and talking about their offense.”

While on campus, Sayin did get a chance to catch up with Maalik Murphy (both use the same QB coach so they’ve known each other for years).

“He just told me what great guys coach Sark and coach Milwee are and how the staff has been treating him really well,” Sayin said.

Naaman Forest’s Markis Deal has had a bit of a renewed interest in Texas of late with the Longhorns showing interest in him as a defensive tackle. Deal visited UT in January and was on campus again last weekend to watch the Longhorns practice.

“It was great. I got to be in the position meeting with coach Bo (Davis), see how he teaches his kids. I got to see them interact with each other, teach each other and take criticism from each other,” Deal said. “That’s a good thing that they can take criticism from each other.

The practice was great. I really could see the defensive tackles and d-line, the strength of their defense. There was a lot of energy. That’s how it’s supposed to be. They were going full speed, hitting each other, a very energetic practice. It was good to see.”

Deal doesn’t have an official list of favorites but said he’s been narrowing things down in his mind “little by little.” He still has some out-of-state schools he wants to see (LSU and Oregon were mentioned) before eliminating anyone. As of yet, Deal doesn’t have any official visits locked in, but said he’d like to take those this summer so he can make a decision before his senior season starts.

Odds on Texas getting one of his official visits?

“It’s possible. The closer schools like TCU, I wasn’t really thinking about taking officials to them, because I can go there any other weekend. But we’ll see.”

As for where Texas fits in …

“I’d say Texas is definitely in the top five right now. l really did enjoy my last visit and talking to coach Bo, getting to see how he coaches. It was a good visit,” Deal said.

Atascocita has an impressive track record of late in producing high-level offensive linemen, and 2024 standout Nate Kibble is next in line. Texas is one of a few programs that have extended an early offer, and Kibble said the Longhorns have his early attention.

“Schools that are standing out, definitely Texas. They show me a lot of love,” Kibble said. “I called coach Sark the other day and he was just letting me know he’s still 100 percent down with me, trying to recruit me.”

Kibble attended a Texas home game last fall and said that visit made a lasting impression.

“I went to a game and it’s just crazy there. The entire field, there’s not any other fans, it’s just Texas, Texas, Texas,” he said.

(Cole)

Confirmed earlier this week that New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman tight end Will Randle will be in Austin for the Orange-White Game. The four-star tight end was most recently on the Texas campus in March, where he was blown away by Jeff Banks and the Longhorns’ staff.

While teammate Arch Manning won’t be in town with Randle this time around, Saturday presents a great opportunity for Texas to capitalize on the tight end making the trip.

Randle is an athletic tight end that plays multiple sports in high school, as he also excels at baseball and basketball. His coach, Nelson Stewart, firmly believes that Randle’s best football is in front of him.

He will be a steal for whoever gets him. He is the complete tight end. His ability makes him the engine that we build our offense around. He checks all of the boxes,” Stewart recently told Orangebloods of Randle.

Alabama and LSU are two other national powers on Randle’s offer sheet. Virginia, a program that he has recently visited, is also in the picture. While Randle likes the idea of teaming up with Manning in college, he is handling his recruitment individually.

Thus, Texas has made sure to treat the four-star as a priority rather than a package deal with the five-star passer. Steve Sarkisian, AJ Milwee, and the Texas staff have made multiple visits to the school to meet with Manning and Randle.

The consistent approach has paid off. Specifically, the way that Jeff Banks has recruited Randle. The two have hit it off during the recruiting process.

“Jeff Banks blew him out of the water (on the March visit),” Stewart said. “His energy. How hard he coaches the tight ends. He certainly could just tell that they are building something special.”

Randle being on campus is big for Texas as they attempt to pull the blue chip tight end out of The Boot. And while the two aren’t necessarily a package deal, it can’t hurt in the recruitment of Arch Manning.

Rivals250 WR Isiah Kendall was on campus last weekend for an unofficial visit. The four-star recruit was offered by Brennan Marion at Pitt, and the two continue to have a good relationship. Kendall said that Marion checks up on him and that the two talk multiple times throughout the week.

Despite the four-star ranking, Kendall has not seen a ton of action in his recruitment. He has visited Texas, Arkansas State, and Florida State this offseason, and he is set to check out Deion Sanders and Jackson State this upcoming weekend.

Indiana is the program that is standing out the most right now to Kendall, and he plans to visit the Big Ten school in the near future. It appears that Texas is at least keeping him warm on their receivers board, though.

Texas hosted a pair of elite 2024 wide receivers on Thursday in Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna wideout Jeremiah Smith and Miami (Fla.) Central receiver Joshisa Trader.

The two have made multiple stops around the country in recent weeks, including to Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas A&M. Smith is ranked No. 14 in the Rivals100, while Trader lands at No. 11. They are two of the top three receivers for the 2023 cycle at this point in time.

Both were offered on Thursday while on the visit. I had the opportunity to talk with the two at a Battle 7v7 tournament in Dallas last month, where the two showcased their star talent with the South Florida Express. Smith mentioned to me that Texas was an offer that he wanted, so there’s already at least some degree of interest there.

Brenen Marion was hired to take the wide receiver recruiting to another level, and he is going after some elite talent in the 2024 class.

In addition to Smith and Trader, Texas hosted the top-ranked inside linebacker in the 2024 class on Thursday: Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy linebacker Payton Pierce. Pierce was able to watch practice while on the visit, something that he told me at Rivals Dallas that he was really looking forward to.

Pierce was offered by Texas in January after a strong sophomore campaign that saw him become one of the best defenders in the state. A former quarterback, Pierce is an athletic linebacker that is a force in the box and can play sideline-to-sideline. Additionally, he is a state champion wrestler.

In talking to Pierce, he has been high on Texas and the staff. Jeff Choate has developed a relationship with Pierce, which has put the Longhorns in a great early position for the Rivals100 prospect out of the Metroplex.

As noted on OB before, Pierce is also close with 2022 Texas signee Neto Umeozulu and 2024 Texas target Zina Umeozulu. He grew up with them and visited Texas with the family for a game last season. It’s worth noting because the 2024 class is loaded with talent, and Texas has some connections, including Jaden Allen being the younger brother of 2022 signee BJ Allen.

Pierce will visit Arkansas on Saturday. He visited Wisconsin last week, where he grabbed an offer from the Badgers. I expect his offer sheet to continue to grow and the Longhorns to be a serious factor in his recruitment.

(Womack)

Quick transfer portal update:

Terry Roberts, the transfer from Bradley who averaged 14.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.1 assists. The MVC newcomer of the year, committed to Georgia and their new head coach Mike White.

Fardaws Aimaq, the 6’11, Canadian-born big man averaged 19.1 points and 13.6 rebounds per game last season at Utah Valley, is a heavy lean to Texas Tech, being very active with them and their players on Twitter. Texas Tech writers have been saying the Raiders were going to land him, and it seems to be that way.

Kendric Davis, the guard from SMU and the AAC POTY who averaged 19.4 PPG, 3.8 RPG, and 4.4 APG, cut Texas from his list recently.

Kenneth Lofton Jr., the 6’7, 275-lb forward prospect who put up 16.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 2.8 assists last season, is between Texas and Houston, from most sources. I reached out to a UH writer to comment, but she hasn’t gotten back to me yet.

Texas has reached out to Efe Abogidi, a 6’10 forward from Washington State, who averaged 8.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Abogidi dropped a massive list of programs who have contacted him, of which Texas was one.

Recruiting update:

Texas offered Andrej Stojakovic, son of former NBA star Peja Stojakovic, a 6’7 SF from California. The Sacramento Jesuit star picked up offers from Kansas, Oregon, and other programs across the country recently with his play in Adidas 3SSB on his AAU team, the Compton Magic.

1650586952176.png

Attachments

• 1650586898715.png
    1650586898715.png
    962.5 KB · Views: 8,192
  • 1650586952176.png
    1650586952176.png
    849.7 KB · Views: 5,137
  • 1650587049307.png
    1650587049307.png
    675.9 KB · Views: 6,148
Last edited by a moderator: