ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room: The latest on the QB decision, the two-deep and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1629422612903.png

(From Anwar)

We are inching closer to Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian officially announcing if Casey Thompson or Hudson Card will start at quarterback for the Longhorns this season.

Sarkisian recently said he did not have a timetable to announce a starter. The first-year coach said he had until September 4 to name a starter.

“I haven’t put a timeline on it,” Sarkisian said. “I thought about that, and I always talk to these kids in recruiting, and they're going to make a commitment on this date in recruiting, right? But then that date comes and they're not ready to sign but they've already [said] this is the date I'm making my commitment. They don't really know where they're going to go and then they make an irrational decision. Going with your gut means when it feels right. For me, the actual date is the first game. Somebody's got to run out there on September 4 to take the snaps with the starting offense when we take the field. Ideally, I'd like to make a decision before that. But there's no exact date on that for that to happen. When it's going to feel right, and when it's that time we'll talk to both guys and we'll go after it.”

Sarkisian said the right things, but it seems highly unlikely he will wait that long to inform Thompson or Card about his decision.

The winner of this battle will need to prepare for the season opener against Louisiana. Sarkisian said he intends to start preparing for Louisiana by the middle of next week. The starting quarterback will need to take as many first-team reps as possible, the backup must have his reps, while Sarkisian’s scout team quarterback will need to give the Texas defense a good look.

One source told me he would not be surprised if Sarkisian delayed his public announcement, but began working with his starting quarterback behind the scenes next week.

“I am not sure what Sarkisian will do, but it makes sense to wait,” a source told me. “Why give Louisiana time to prepare for one quarterback? Why show your hand?”

The source also believes one reason why Sarkisian constantly praises Thompson and Card and never indicates which quarterback is in the lead is that he wants Louisiana to spend as much time focusing on both quarterbacks as opposed to one passer. Sarkisian may already know who he intends to start. However, Sarkisian may not want to give Louisiana two weeks to prepare for Card or Thompson.

That being said, it will be hard for Sarkisian to keep his decision a secret for long at Texas.

For now, we do know Card has received a lot of recognition for his training camp performance.

One source told me the race was very close, but Card has a more accurate arm and makes fewer mistakes in practice. Card received the majority of first-team reps earlier this week.

However, Thompson worked with the ones early during team drills on Wednesday. Thompson received most of the first-team reps before this week. The performances of Card and Thompson on Saturday should solidify Sarkisian’s decision.

Sarkisian recently expressed his disappointment in the performances with both quarterbacks during the past scrimmage. He said neither quarterback played up to the standard he views as acceptable. Nevertheless, Sarkisian praised both quarterbacks' practice performances this week.

The biggest challenge either quarterback will face this season is the offensive line.

Multiple sources said the offensive line has struggled before Saturday’s scrimmage. One source told me this offensive line could struggle this season based on how they have performed during the offseason. The offensive line looked good in one-on-one drills against defensive players on Wednesday. That either means the offensive line is starting to improve or it was an anomaly.

I was also told not to hit the Thompson/Card panic button after their lackluster scrimmage performances.

A source reminded me that Sarkisian’s is known for his ability to game-plan, in-game adjustments, and schemes. Sarkisian is known for his ability to attack an opponent’s weakness.

As relates to the quarterbacks, I was told Sarkisian’s job is to hide their weaknesses. Sarkisian has pushed each quarterback during training camp to determine their strengths and weaknesses. Once the season begins, Sarkisian will utilize the assets of his starting quarterback. A source said Sarkisian will game-plan around his quarterback’s strengths and adjust accordingly.

I was reminded that most practices have occurred in shells without any game planning or adjustments. One source believes Thompson or Card will be fine once the season begins due to Sarkisian’s ability to coach quarterbacks.

We are close to Sarkisian’s official decision.

(Alex)

Following this weekend's scrimmage, we will be heading into the point of fall camp where the Horns will officially transition from install to game-week-style practices that will prepare for opponents. Here is a quick overview of where the two-deep at each position currently sits based on all we've seen through open practices thus far:

OFFENSE

QB

Hudson Card
OR
Casey Thompson

- Like it or not, there is still an "OR" between these two. However, it feels like Sark will have to know in his own heart (with conviction) immediately after Saturday's scrimmage which one is going to be running out with the first group in preparation for Week 1. It's time for one of these guys to come out and leave no doubt. The signs are pointing towards Card.

RB
Bijan Robinson
Roschon Johnson

- This will be a Bijan Robinson offense in 2021 given the lack of explosive weapons at outside WR aside from Joshua Moore, but boy, have Roschon's cuts and footwork gotten nifty -- he'll get plenty of run himself. Bama transfer Keilan Robinson will likely be used in -- for lack of a better comp -- a DJ Monroe-type of role to start. Part of the rotation, but likely of the gadget variety.

TE
Jared Wiley
Cade Brewer

- More two-TE sets means more of these two, but it sort of feels like Cade Brewer is only there sort of by default as the grizzled vet. It truly has been Ja'Tavion Sanders, Juan Davis and to a lesser degree Gunnar Helm who've had the flashiest plays in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see all five get action this season.

Receivers

X WR
Troy Omeire
Marcus Washington

SLOT
Jordan Whittington
Xavier Worthy

Z WR
Joshua Moore
Al'Vonte Woodard

- The WR group is beginning to feel like a weakness, which seems absurd after just a year or two ago feeling like it was a team strength. Clearly, the slot is the strongest of the three wideout positions. Thankfully, we've seen two-TE sets that include both Whittington and Worthy on the field together, with Worthy outside and Whitt in the slot. If I had to make a bet, give me Whittington to lead the team in receptions if able to stay healthy. (And boy does Texas need him to).

Offensive Line

LT
Christian Jones
Isaiah Hookfin/Andrej Karic

LG
Denzel Okafor
Tyler Johnson/Hayden Conner

C
Jake Majors
Rafiti Ghirmai

RG
Junior Angilau
Tope Imade/Hayden Conner

RT
Derek Kerstetter
Andrej Karic

- The biggest storylines of fall so far along the offensive line: 1) Hayden Conner came to play, he should be the 7th man up (Karic is obviously the 6th man) and he should be the first option to fill in at either OG spot should injury occur. 2) Isaiah Hookfin has improved, perhaps massively. 3) Christian Jones has improved, perhaps significantly.

DEFENSE

Ends/Edge

SDE
Jacoby Jones
Alfred Collins

EDGE
Ray Thornton
Prince Dorbah

- Collins has been playing at the DE spot as of late and I am here for 100% of it. That guy crashing down from a 4 or a 5-tech at 6-5, 300 pounds with his pterodactyl arms causes legit problems for the opposition. Jones is a seasoned vet who is above average. On the other edge, there are much greater question marks -- perhaps the biggest question marks on the whole team. Texas needs to recruit better playmakers to make a difference at Joseph Ossai's old spot.

Interior DL

DT
Moro Ojomo
Vernon Broughton

NT
Keondre Coburn
T'Vondre Sweat

- This is an interior defensive line that should remind fans of the Malcom Brown/Hassaan Ridgeway days. Every player on the two-deep has legitimate NFL upside to some degree and it's one of the most important positions in football to have deep talent at.

Linebackers

MLB
Luke Brockermeyer
Jaylan Ford

WLB
Demarvion Overshown
David Gbenda

SAM/OLB (when in "base" defense)
Ovie Oghuofo
Ben Davis

- To me, the craziest thing to come out of this whole camp is the realization among close observers of the team that Luke Brockermeyer is actually kinda good. He probably always has been right under our noses.

Secondary

NCB
Anthony Cook
Jerrin Thompson

CB
D'Shawn Jamison
Jahdae Barron

CB
Josh Thompson
Kitan Crawford/Darion Dunn

SAF
BJ Foster
Tyler Owens

SAF
Brenden Schooler
OR
Jerrin Thompson

- Anthony Cook is one of the biggest movers of camp to where it seems like he's sort of locked in as the starter right now when Texas goes to nickel packages. Jerrin Thompson will have his work cut out for him, it appears, to hang on to one of the starting safety spots after he was hogging all the snaps to start camp. Schooler and Foster have been mainstays at safety with the ones for the past week or so. Now, the question is, do we see the BJ Foster that flashed as a freshman at Texas and was one of the top prospects in the nation -- or the tackle-missing shell of that player we've seen over the course of the previous two seasons? Since it feels like Coach K is more comfortable with Foster than any other safety on the roster (it's been Thompson and Schooler who've been rotating in and out, not Foster), then it's not crazy to look at Foster with optimism for a hopeful return to form. For once, Texas looks like it has good corners. These outside WRs can't get open against their physical and technical play.

(From Suchomel)

With the entire month of August being a dead period and both college coaches and high school players getting ready for the start of their 2021 seasons, it’s not the busiest week for recruiting news but we did check around on a few of the Horns’ top targets to round up some updates.

Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry got Texas fans excited a few weeks ago when he tweeted the following …

That’s obviously a good sign for the Longhorns considering both Dewberry and source close to the five-star lineman had told OB previously that his five visits were mapped out and Texas wasn’t part of that equation. He’s already taken OVs to LSU, Texas A&M and Ohio State. Oklahoma is expected to get one in September and if things stay the course, Texas will likely get his last visit. Alabama, which was in his top five that he released back in April, could be the odd team out on an official visit.

In communicating with a source close to Dewberry this week, no date has been set for the Texas visit. I was told that Dewberry is “shut (his) recruitment down” as he prepares for his senior season. If you’re UT, you’d probably prefer that he had a date locked in at this point, but the good news is that I was given zero indication that Dewberry had changed his plans to give the Longhorns one of his remaining two visits.

Texas is still in a trailing position on this one, behind schools like A&M, Ohio State and Oklahoma, but getting Dewberry back on campus for another visit in the fall at least gives the Longhorns a puncher’s chance. Texas was a complete afterthought on this one prior to Dewberry taking an unofficial visit to UT in June, and the staff did a good enough job on that one to put Texas in a position where Dewberry is willing to listen, to the point where he wants to take an official visit.

I was told after that June visit that Dewberry and his family really enjoyed the new staff and feels Texas is “headed in the right direction.” Dewberry was also impressed with the resume of O-line coach Kyle Flood. In order for Texas to have any sort of shot in this one, Texas will have to prove that “headed in the right direction” comment with improved play on the field. Do that, and the Longhorns could have a chance to continue to claw their way up Dewberry’s list with an important official visit that has yet to be scheduled.

It’s been a while since we’ve checked with sources on 2023 5-Star QB Arch Manning, recently named by Rivals.com as the nation’s top player in his class.

As always, Manning is a tough player on which to get any clear intel, but in talking to a source this week, it does sound like a small collection of schools is beginning to emerge, and there could even be some separation among that group.

The feeling from the source was that the visits to Clemson, Texas, Alabama and Georgia stood out the most for Manning and those close to him, possibly in that order. Manning did also visit Ole Miss and could return to Oxford for a game in the fall, and there’s apparently been some conversation about him hitting an LSU game as well. Recently, there’s been some chatter of a Midwest tour as well to see programs like Notre Dame and Ohio State. Ultimately though, the talk seems to come back to those first four (Clemson, UT, Bama, UGA).

“Based on the unofficials he originally took, those four – and it’s not official - but those are the ones that checked the most boxes,” the source said.

Pay close attention to what Manning does this fall, the source said. He was voted as a team captain at Isidore Newman School, which will come with obligations on Saturdays.

“When he goes for visits, it’s going to say a lot,” I was told. “He’s not going to want to pass up obligations to his team.”

Texas put an offer on the table for Manning’s teammate, 2023 tight end William Randle, last month. There was some thought at the time that the offer could have been a play to strengthen UT’s position with Manning. The source I spoke with this week didn’t think so.

“They visited SMU and Texas together but in no way is Will’s recruitment going to impact Arch’s, and vice versa. But they are friendly,” the source said. “Will is a good enough player, people are going to offer him to offer him. They’re not really gambling there.”

Nobody seems to truly know how things are shaping up in Manning’s mind, but I do tend to agree that those schools he visited earlier in the summer make a lot of sense … and they continue to come up the most when talking to different people. One person this week handicapped it as Clemson having the slightest of leads over Texas, but he admitted that was more based on the general vibe after Manning visited Clemson and his fondness for the Tigers staff. Tough one to call and the only thing to say with confidence right now is that Texas is one of a small group that is standing out.

A few of you all have asked recently so I checked in this week to get an update on Rivals250 DB Larry Turner-Gooden, but things are pretty quiet despite me reaching out to a couple different sources.

When I last checked on the Arizona State commitment, I was told Turner-Gooden was waiting to hear what kind of penalties might be handed down to ASU before he made any decision on whether or not he’d decommit.

We’re still awaiting official word on those sanctions, this one did get a bit more interesting a little more than a week ago. ASU defensive backs coach Chris Hawkins, Turner-Gooden’s primary recruiter and the son of Turner-Gooden’s 7-on-7 coach, was put on administrative leave from ASU for his alleged involvement in ASU’s illegal recruiting practices (Prentice Gill is listed as Turner-Gooden’s secondary recruiter at ASU and he was also put on leave).

No official word from Turner-Gooden or those close to him how much that move will impact Turner-Gooden’s ultimate decision, but it’s another strike against the Sun Devils’ chances of holding onto his pledge. One person I’ve communicated with thinks if Turner-Gooden does eventually open things up, which is appearing more and more likely, Texas could be the landing spot for the Mission Hills (CA) Bishop Alemany product.

I’ve got a message into Turner-Gooden to see if he’s solidified plans for a Texas official visit (he took an unofficial visit over the summer) and am hoping to hear back soon.

2022 linebacker KVon Sherman isn’t a player that boasts a long list of offers, but he’s hoping to add to his list over the next month or so. The Pearland product took a visit to Texas for UT’s pool party and the Texas staff told him he’s a guy it will be monitoring early in the fall.

“I’m right there. I’m the guy that if somebody’s not in, I’m in,” Sherman said of UT’s message about a possible offer. “Coach Choate said he’s going to check me out my first three games and see how that goes. Hopefully I’m in that orange.”

New Mexico has offered. Schools like Baylor, UNLV and Boise State have been in touch. Sherman will really have to put on a strong showing for Texas to pull the trigger on an offer, but he’s confident he can make an impression. If Texas does ever come calling with an offer, he’s not going to waste any time in accepting.

“Best place ever. If you’ve got an offer from Texas and you’re not at Texas, it’s an issue,” Sherman said. “This place is amazing. They treat you like family. I love it.

“It’s just the people. The people are great. Great relationships. You can use that to get to where you need to be in life, those relationships.”

Easy kid to root for. We’ll keep you all posted if anything changes after Texas evaluates those first few weeks.

(From Cole Patterson)

The 2023 class in the state of Texas is loaded, to no surprise. Major talent can be found all over the state, in different regions and in different classifications. Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorn coaching staff are undoubtedly attempting to keep as much talent as possible home.

DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook II is one of those elite prospects that the Longhorns have made a priority. Cook is one of the most dangerous playmakers in the entire state, regardless of class. His blend of electrifying speed and after-the-catch ability make him a player that programs all over the nation are recruiting.

Cook has mentioned Alabama, Texas, and Texas A&M as programs most in the mix in his recruitment. Though, when speaking to the DeSoto standout this week, Cook stated that the Aggies have to “show him more.” He wants to see more from the A&M offense, and it appears that they are running third at this point.

As for Alabama, Cook said his visit to Tuscaloosa was great. He enjoyed seeing all of the “bells and whistles” that Alabama has to offer and mentioned how cool it was to meet with Nick Saban during his trip. Cook knows the Alabama program is all about winning, which certainly intrigues him.

Regarding Texas, Cook claimed that he was the first prospect that the new staff re-offered after arriving in Austin. Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Andre Coleman have made the four-star receiver a priority.

One interesting note that Cook mentioned when speaking with him is that Texas is pitching the idea of him playing with current freshman wideout Xavier Worthy, 2022 five-star pass catcher and former UT commit Evan Stewart, and 2023 No. 1 overall player Arch Manning. That, along with the move to the SEC, has Cook’s attention in a huge way.

I really like where Texas is at right now with the Rivals100 receiver. A strong season by Worthy probably gets Cook in the boat, in my opinion.

Another prospect that the Texas is hard after in the 2023 class is South Oak Cliff defensive back Malik Muhammad.

Muhammad began his prep career at SOC before transferring to IMG Academy. He opted to return to South Oak Cliff for his junior season because he feels that Texas High School Football is as good as any competition that IMG plays, and that he is determined to bring a state title home.

The top-100 player is being recruited by programs all over the nation, and he pointed out that he can “go almost anywhere.” He mentioned Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, Texas, and Texas A&M when asked what schools are standing out to him the most at this point in the process.

On the Longhorns, Muhammad said he, along with his father, was able to sit down and meet with Sarkisian earlier this year. He has a close relationship with UT Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert.

Gilbert, of course, previously coached at SOC, and Muhammad said that his whole family is close with Gilbert. That makes the four-star DB feel comfortable about potentially choosing Texas for his college career. Having someone that he can trust on campus sounds like an important factor for the UnderArmour All-American.

I do get the sense that Texas has some work to do and needs a successful season to pull Muhammad. He says that distance is not a factor, and he sounded intrigued about the possibility of playing at Alabama or Notre Dame.

1629424444558.png

(Keenan)

Basketball Recruiting Update: 2022 Texas Offers (Guards)

Chris Beard came in hot with a class of highly touted transfers for the 2021 season, giving the Longhorns a roster on par with the best in the country and likely landing them a spot in the preseason top-five. But the work is never done in college basketball, and teams always need to be looking forward at the next crop of talent. Texas has made the short list for plenty of talented players in 2022, both in state and out.

Texas' new head coach has been a very successful recruiter, evidenced by his previously mentioned work in the portal as well as what he was able to do at Texas Tech. Expect him to make waves in this class beyond the single commit he has at this juncture. In 2021, he brought four-star recruit Jaylon Tyson to Lubbock, who transferred to Texas this season along with the rest of the players who came through the portal. Beard's chops as a magnet for prep talent shouldn't be questioned.

As it stands, here are the guard prospects Texas has offered in the 2022 recruiting cycle (in order of rankings by Rivals).

POINT GUARD OFFERS (SEVEN TOTAL)

1. JAZIAN GORTMAN

2. ARTERIO MORRIS

3. BRYCE GRIGGS

4. AUSTIN NUNEZ

5. TREJUAN HOLLOMAN

6. NOAH SHELBY

7. ROWAN BRUMBAUGH

PG committed to Texas: Arterio Morris

PG committed elsewhere: Jazian Gortman, Overtime Elite Bryce Griggs, Overtime Elite Trejuan Holloman, Michigan State and Noah Shelby, Vanderbilt

Texas' PG spot has essentially been locked up in landing Arterio Morris from Lewisville's iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy. However, it would be nice for them to get some depth at the position with a player that may stay multiple years, as Morris may be a one-and-done depending on his production his senior year of high school and freshman year of college. Though Devin Askew will likely still be on the roster, it is always a good thing to bring in more competition.

Austin Nunez is likely going to head to Virginia to play for the Cavaliers.

Jazian Gortman will be forgoing not only college but also his senior year of high school and playing in a new league called Overtime Elite; Bryce Griggs will be doing the same.

Trejuan Holloman and Noah Shelby are firmly committed to Michigan State and Vanderbilt, respectively.

Rowan Brumbaugh seems to be leaning towards Northwestern or Wisconsin.

SHOOTING GUARD (THREE TOTAL):

1. KEYONTE GEORGE

2. SHAEDON SHARPE

3. RYLAN GRIFFEN

SG committed to Texas: None

SG committed elsewhere: Keyonte George, Baylor

With George's commitment to Baylor a week and a half ago, Texas must look elsewhere to fill this role. The top candidate on the recruiting trail for Chris Beard is CG Cason Wallace, who we'll get to in a bit.

However, Wallace's teammate Rylan Griffen could be an ideal, realistic pickup for the Longhorns, though sources say he's higher on other schools in the state like Texas Tech and the aforementioned Bears.

Shaedon Sharpe seems to be a Kentucky lean at this point, but is also considering playing for the G-League Ignite, as Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga, and Isaiah Todd did last season.

COMBO GUARD (FOUR TOTAL):

1. CASON WALLACE

2. JALEN HOOD-SCHIFINO

3. NICK SMITH

4. ANTHONY BLACK

CG committed to Texas: None

CG committed elsewhere: None

Though losing George to the Bears is a tough blow for Texas, the word is that Beard prefers CG Cason Wallace because of his defensive prowess and ability to slot into both guard positions. Though not the favorites for Wallace, as he's reportedly a Kentucky or Tennessee lean, the Longhorns still have a shot, as he has a planned OV on August 26th. Wallace would be an enormous pickup for Chris Beard, and create one of the best freshman backcourts in the country in 2022.

Hood-Schifino looks to be heading to Indiana, although he released his top five recently, which included the Longhorns. He will announce officially on August 24th, a tribute to the late great Kobe Bryant's no. 8 and no. 24.

Texas didn't make Nick Smith's top eight schools, so they look to be out on his talents.

Anthony Black is looking at Gonzaga and most are predicting him to go there. He was also being recruited at wide receiver, but committed to sticking with basketball.

Overall, the 'Horns seem to be swinging and missing on some of these prospects, but a lot can change over the course of a few months, especially if Texas ends up being as good as many are predicting they will be in the 2021-22 season. There is no reason to have a panic attack this early on about recruiting. This writeup also does not take into account the possibility of transfer players coming in to play for Beard in 2022. Although Beard said in his last media availability that the team will be built on high school recruiting, it is evident that he has major pull in the transfer market.
Playing well in their final season in the Big 12 will be huge for trying to land more in-state recruits for the next class. This is particularly true in dead heats with schools like Texas Tech and Baylor, and the looming move to the SEC will likely play a factor in some recruits' minds, if in fact Texas is able to land in their new conference earlier than 2025 (especially if it's 2022). Until more news on that comes out, fans will just have to wait and see.

Attachments

• 1629422612903.png
    1629422612903.png
    940.8 KB · Views: 8,377
  • 1629424444558.png
    1629424444558.png
    876.2 KB · Views: 7,416
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT