ADVERTISEMENT

The thing about stats....

Hooked24_7

Nov 21, 2017
is that they don’t show a team that struggles to pass block all year long. So, to put the blame on Shane Buchele and say that he’s not a good quarterback or he doesn’t have the it factor is wrong. There’s going to be less penalties when you’re firing straight out on defenders as opposed to sitting back, trying to keep them from getting to the quarterback. Look at all the problems Sam has had when he drops back to pass the ball. Ive seen the playing get more aggressive when Sam,s in the game. They tend to run the ball more, they don’t run up the middle as often, and use gadget plays a lot more frequently. Also this thing about the it factor, I’ve seen plenty of leaders in football who didn’t have to be seen to lead their team...Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. so to compare the two quarterbacks based on how excited they get is unfair.

Plain and simple, stop blaming Shane for the failures of this offense. Stop saying that he is no good. It’s fine to prefer one over the other, but when you constantly see on the message boards, Twitter, etc. about how Shane is so terrible it’s uncalled for. Last time I checked, the offense scored 28 points. 14 of which the defense put the offense in very good position to score. That’s not the explosive offense I had in mind when listening and reading about how well the offense perfomed on Saturday.

but when you constantly see on the message boards, Twitter, etc. about how Shane is so terrible it’s uncalled for.

On this board? I might have missed people saying Shane was a terrible QB. In fact I remember everyone saying Shane was our best bet to win because he's more accurate than Sam. I think you might be on the wrong message board. Any how in my opinion Shane is a good QB but on this offense he seems to go stale and can't get going. Sam on the other hand can extend plays and get the offense going. Is Shane more accurate and mature? Yep.

Like I said, stat don’t tell you everything and if there’s another thread that discuss stats, then go over there and discuss it.

I never said he was great, but to pretend he is such a bad qb when the other qb has had his struggles and many pretend he is so great is ridiculous.

Then by your logic, Texas scored the highest in 3 games that Shane was qb. Unlike you, I realize that there’s more to the game than the score and stats. Now you deal with it.

Sam adds another dimension - running - that Shane doesn’t. Therefore, the passing game opens up. Therefore, the runningbacks gain more yards because teams are respecting the threat of QB pass & QB run. That doesn’t happen with Shane.

Then by your logic, Texas scored the highest in 3 games that Shane was qb. Unlike you, I realize that there’s more to the game than the score and stats. Now you deal with it.
Quit crying. If Shane is better, he will start. So far, Sam is better & he is starting.

I have a question mark above my head. Last week Shane started the first two series, 0 points. Sam took over the next 2 and I believe at least one td was scored. I have a hard time thinking Shane is better.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
On this board? I might have missed people saying Shane was a terrible QB. In fact I remember everyone saying Shane was our best bet to win because he's more accurate than Sam. I think you might be on the wrong message board. Any how in my opinion Shane is a good QB but on this offense he seems to go stale and can't get going. Sam on the other hand can extend plays and get the offense going. Is Shane more accurate and mature? Yep.

BTW, no one is saying Shane is terrible, bad, etc. Sam is simply playing better than him so far this year. That’s it.

It may not have been this sight. I was trying to make the point that stats don’t tell the whole story of what’s going on. Whether or not you want Shane or Sam to start, that’s fine, but to say that he’s trash and no good when everybody knows the o-line situation is just silly.

What was Shane's numbers last year for passing yards and completion percentage??? How about our run game with him playing last year?? Just curious. Average points per game ?

Well that isn’t what I’ve been seeing on different boards and Twitter. You have your opinion of who the better qb is and that’s fine, but to trash Shane and say he’s no good (not you in particular) to boost another qb up, there’s something wrong with that. My point about the stats were that although they give an idea of what’s happening, they can’t tell you that a wide receiver dropped the ball to end a drive or they don’t show a pennalty for catching the ball beyond the line of scrimmage when it was supposed to be caught behind the line stall a drive. There to here how bad the qb when you’re seeing this happening you know the situation makes you want to explain to others who don’t.

Look, Shane is not a bad QB. Yes, with a better O-line & receivers, Shane would be better.

But, that’s the point. Shane’s skill set relies on those things & he’s unlikely to create & extend drives when plays break down or the pass rush comes. Sam can do those things. Dual threat QBs are more likely to do those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyesOnTexas
It’s really simple. You can’t take Tom Brady and turn him into a veer option qb. Great QB, maybe the GOAT, but he would not have started in front of Tommy Frazier, had they both been in Nebraska’s system in ‘94. The Power Spread system Texas is trying to run bogs down some when the qb is not a legit rushing threat. Shane is a good young qb, but his skill set isn’t the best fit for this offense. Imagine Major Applewhite in this system. Not a good fit. But in the I-Formation, with Ricky in the backfield, he excelled.

Having Sam in there makes this system go a little better than Shane. Sam also is more likely to bail out the Oline if protection breaks down.

Last edited:
Shane has shown us plenty. Sam will be the better option moving forward. Even with Williams back, it was Ehlinger that made plays. Yes he tossed one up for a pick 6...That's what Fish do.

They both bring a good quality. Shane has a better arm. Sam can run(speed is something you can't coach but you can coach to have a better arm). In the long run, Sam will be the better option. We just have to hope his throwing gets better and hope Shane doesn't transfer. Maybe the next freshman who comes in can have both attributes.

“Stats are for losers”~Muschamp during the 5-7 season
Lol. Stats are tracked to create order & predictability from organized trends.

While stats don’t tell the whole story, it is better than using the anecdotal story telling.

We see how Muschamp’s HC experience worked out at Florida. Maybe he should have applied more stats. Losing is for losers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT