ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after a rewatch

chickenwings

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2001
I was at the game so didn’t have it in me to watch the game until today. There is a narrative that Quinn didn’t play well, but it isn’t all on him.

1. O line penalties killed us during the game. False starts, holding and pre snap infractions really hurt us. Christian Jones giving up a sack and holding penalty killed the momentum we had on our 3rd possession. On the previous wash possession, we held them to a 3 and out. I think this was a huge turning point as we were tied 7-7 and had momentum.
  2. Our running backs were dialed in and we should have fed them more. The two back look could have really hurt Washington and running the ball would have kept Washington off the field.
  3. Washington oline dominated our defensive line. They didn’t overpower our players, but worked well together to keep a body between our defense and Penix. Also, they didn’t have hardly any penalties.
  4. Trice made some huge plays. Plays that won the game. We need a guy like that on our defense that can change the game.
  5. Penix was on fire, but he was lucky too. He threw to a spot that were inches away from the defensive players. He pretty much made every correct play whether it was to climb the pocket, throw deep, check down to TE or take off scrambling. He didn’t generate many negative plays to put Washington behind the stick.
  6. Quinn didn’t play a bad game. His o line didn’t play well and his running backs had two fumbles. There were a lot of batted passes that were not his fault. Washington scouted Texas well and anticipated Ewers throws. Quinn made a ton of nice plays and some of them were negated by penalties on Texas. Unfortunately, everyone is going to remember 1st and 10 at the 12 with 15 seconds and the sequence of the final four plays. Again, the third and fourth down play were more difficult due to pressure and wasn’t completely his fault.
  7. Referees made a huge impact in the no calls or picking up flags against Washington. The block in the back penalty when Watts was pushed should have been called. Also, I think there were several unnecessary roughness calls and some PI penalties that could have been called. The penalties against Texas were legitimate, but wish it was more even.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News