ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday afternoon update (Shelley Meyer talking about Urban taking another job and more...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
A few things...

* Things are still pretty quiet. The plan is to have a more extensive update on a few critical areas related to the ongoing Urban Meyer conversation, but some of the conversations we plan to have with folks haven't occurred yet. So, stay tuned... we'll have a bigger fix later today.

* From 30,000 feet up, not a lot has changed. While there is obviously a lot of growing buzz about the possibility of Meyer becoming the Texas coach, our primary sourcing has continued to maintain that this is a 50-50 type game.

* We mentioned this in the Orangebloods Modcast, but if you want to keep an eye on a national reporting voice, keep an eye on YahooSports' Pete Thamel, who has a reputation around our industry for being Mr. Scoop when it comes to anything related to Meyer. On that note, I found a comment he made in a story posted last night note-worthy.

"Texas AD Chris Del Conte’s play here appears to be shopping for Herman’s replacement and attempting to arrange something before having to make a public decision on Herman. This is a common tactic, but rarely do these shadow searches unfold under such scrutiny. The question will be if Texas strikes out — and Del Conte will aim Dabo-level high if Meyer passes as expected — how will everybody sputter forward and force smiles for Herman returning for a plank-walk season in 2021?"

I don't know what it means, but I found it interesting that Thamel was so matter-of-fact about his expectation that Meyer will pass on the job. As someone that we view as competition for "breaking News" on this story, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Finally, I saved what I think is the best and most interesting thing I've seen on the Internet today, which is an interview that Urban's wife Shelley did with an Ohio State reporter about six weeks ago.

Why so interesting? Well, Shelley goes into incredible detail to discuss the thought process involved in the decision that is being made at the moment.

Among the most interesting comments:

(On whether Urban will coaching again): "Wow, this question just you know every time… it keeps coming every time there's a vacancy or a wanted vacancy. And I get it because he's really good. he was really good at his job, and I mean I can’t…every time you say never then you can't say never. I won't ever say never, but I'm just going to give and this is my opinion, independent of talking with Urban or whatever.

"He is so healthy right now and having so much fun and he doesn't have to use aids to help him sleep or get him through his headaches and I mean he hasn't had a headache since the Rose Bowl. You know, there's a lot to say for that. There's a lot to say for Buddy gets to hang out with Troy and Grey like whenever he wants and there's something to say for leaving on Friday and getting back on Sunday and that's your job. And then you're home, and you can go golf every day and play tennis every day and you can go to Florida if you want. I'm just gonna say that life is pretty darn good right now. And his health is better than ever, ever...than in the last 20 years, and I don't know what it would take to get him back in. I don't know if there is anything and that's all how that's all I can comment on about it. But from my view, I really like everything that we're doing right now.

(on the state of Texas): "Okay, so you (the interviewer) were in Dallas so you know of course we won a national championship in Dallas… that stadium is incredible. Oh yeah, I loved playing the national championship there I loved it… I had a great time, you know, I mean, I love Texas. I love Texas. I've been to Dallas several times. I've been to Austin only one time. I can't say anything bad about state of Texas. That's it.

(On coaching in the NFL): "Oh no, no, I already know. No, no, no, no, no. We are college football fans. We watch football we love. We love young men that are learning and that you can mentor and they're impressionable still, and they do what you ask, and they will believe for you if you ask them. Once you establish that bond with them, which Urban was really, really great at, I love the emotion… I actually don't watch that much NFL. I don't. I love hearing about our players having success in the NFL. I do not sit in watch NFL games. It's a business. It's not the way we've been for 30 some years, and I like the way we've connected with our players. I know that that's not the way it is there. I have friends that have been in the NFL; I have wife friends and nope. Not interested. Urban's a college coach. That's, that's my vote; he's a college coach.

At the 45:20 minute mark of the interview, Shelley goes into her daily life, which involves time with grandkids, along with a nursing teaching job.

It's a really good and informative interview, so much so that we transcribed the most important notes, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News