Today's Gift (2 Oct. 2024

T-Sipper 1972

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2010
Before you start reading Bmk1989’s Gift, let me admit my ignorance. I had to Google Corita Kent to make sure I wasn’t misreading his handwriting. Ms. Kent was a Catholic nun who created some amazing modern art in addition to her many other talents. After you finish reading the Gift for today, check out her work. You won’t be disappointed.

Mrs. T.

“To understand is to stand under which is to look up to which is good way to understand.”
Corita Kent

Not long ago, an AA meeting involved the oft professed, but rarely followed principle of “carrying the message to other alcoholics.“ It is a principle that mirrors our obligation-perhaps our privilege-to carry His.

The Great Commission is about making disciples. Far too often, although I profess to believe in it, I am a spectator of it. Why is it that we knowingly don’t do the very things in which we shout our belief? Perhaps in both my case and yours, it has to do with fear.

When we look in the mirror, we see assets and strengths, but we also see liabilities and weaknesses. In a word, we see our finitude. Maybe we are looking in the wrong place.

Maybe it is not about looking in the mirror, but about raising our eyes. When we do that, we see not our finitude, but His infinitude. Because Philippians 4:13 tells us that through Him, we can do the impossible, it necessarily follows that He must be looking for people with whom He can do the impossible. What a pity that we plan only those things we can control. After all, the Bible says when it comes to whether or not we are equipped for discipling, the grace that saves and forgives is the exact same grace that equips us. 2 Timothy 2:1-2

My prayer for you today is that, with respect to discipling-as we are charged-you’ll raise your eyes, and that in doing so, you expand the bounds of what you can accomplish to what y’all are destined to do.

And then maybe the next time you look in the mirror, you can, at the same time, look God in the eye.

Bmk1989

• Love
Reactions: The Sundance Kid

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.