ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (4-11)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
With heartfelt thanks to [Mrs.] @T-Sipper 1972 for her good work, I offer you her Gift for this day. For better or worse, I'm back home now, so I'll get back to writing TG, starting tomorrow. Thanks again also to @Bmk1989 for his work and support, and to all of you for stopping by.
NT
Enjoy:

I also made my bed every day, fixed my hair, applied make-up, and washed the dishes. The result of being faithful in these small things was the restoration of my sense of worth and dignity.
~~~~~~~ Patsy Clairmont, I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God

That's the woman's perspective. For those who prefer a more succinct version, look no further than our own Admiral William McRaven, who famously told Longhorn grads, "If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed." There are things in life that just need to be done. Routines. Chores. Take out the garbage, wash the dishes (or go buy more paper plates if you're that lazy), do the laundry. These are mundane tasks, but if we don't perform them, we lose order in our lives, and things get messy.

Another task we tend to avoid is working on ourselves, making changes in our behavior, our thoughts, our attitudes, our health. Too often we tell ourselves we need to make changes. We buy a gym membership, but that quickly loses its luster when we don't see immediate results, so the only exercise we get is when we TALK about going back. Real personal change takes hard work and persistence, focusing on the beauty of the goal, instead of the difficulty of the path we must take to get there. In recovery, you don't get a day off. There are readings and meetings and sponsors. And sobriety. And life.

Real change does not occur overnight. It happens little by little, one day at a time, as DippyDawg often reminded us. Take pride in your accomplishments; you've earned them.

Blessings and Love,
Mrs. T-Sipper 1972
Philippians 1: 3-6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News