ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (4-4)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Most people my age are dead at the present time; you can look it up.
~~~~~~~~ Casey Stengel

Several months ago, there was a piece in the Wall Street Journal, detailing the friendship between two men in their mid-70s who had been friends since 1962. To this day, they spend a part of every Saturday together, starting with breakfast. They have the advantage of still living in the same area, about five miles apart, and they've been able to grow older together. They can finish each other's stories because they've lived through most of them together.

Research has supposedly shown that such friendships are not as common as they once were. In 1990, 25% of people admitted that they didn't have a "best friend." Now that number is up to 40%, and that number is even higher for men. Lot of theories as to why; maybe some of them are correct. You can find "research" to prove darn near anything, but we know for certain that forging a lasting friendship takes time, togetherness, and trust.

For me, Casey's right; some of my old friends are gone. Some of you have had that same experience. That makes me all the more grateful for the friendships we have here on OB and at TG in particular. Thank you my friends.

NT
John 15:13; 19:25-27
In loving memory of Allen Jones, whose friendship was on display here every day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News