ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (4-9)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Once again, I extend my sincere Thanks to @Bmk1989 for writing the Gift for this day.
NT
Enjoy:

Self-image sets the boundaries of individual accomplishment.
~~~~~~~ Maxwell Maltz

Respecting mindsets, Victorian philosopher William James (1842-1910) had a theory about emotion and human behavior: It isn't that our feelings guide our actions (feel happy and you will laugh); on the contrary, our actions guide our emotions (laugh and you will feel happy). This shift in perspective led James to an inescapable conclusion: "If you want X, act as if you already have it."

Examples of this notion are all around us: "fake it till you make it;" "psychic change" out of the AA Big Book; high-five yourself in the mirror---to name a few. In his book The As If Principle, author Richard Wiseman confirms James' principle, and illustrates how we can strategically apply it in our daily lives. Summed up briefly, when we see ourselves as sad or angry, our behavior will match those emotions. Similarly, when we see ourselves as withdrawn and afraid, we avoid activities and connections. BUT, if we see ourselves as holy and instrumental, we will be both!

How wonderful it is that we can change our behavior, and thus ourselves, by changing the picture we carry in our mirrors. Do I have a good picture of myself that I can share today?

Blessings,
BMK
1 Peter 3:15

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News