ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (5-24)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
It is the constant, unwavering, unrelenting presence of God which continues to help me to keep a character that I am proud to show.
~~~~~~~~~~ Maya Angelou

The average baseball fan is at least vaguely aware that most ballparks have some sort of dark and plain background in straightaway centerfield. It is not cluttered with advertising or color. It is the backdrop against which the eternal contest between pitcher and hitter is played. Why is it there? In simple terms, its purpose is to give the hitter a clearer vision of the ball from the time it leaves the pitcher's hand. The pitcher has all the advantages. He knows the pitch he's going to throw. He's standing on a hill that enables him to tower over the hitter. He can see his target clearly.

The hitter has none of that. All he has is 500 milliseconds to make one of three critical choices: (1) Swing, (2) Not Swing, or (3) Get the heck out of the way. The dark green background helps him to see the little white ball as it's thrown, the way it's spinning, its speed, its probable location. That background evens up the contest, and is also the hitter's safety net in case he needs to choose Option # 3. That wall is a constant unwavering presence, even if the hitter is not consciously aware of it.

And so it is with God, our Higher Power. He is that dark background, and with His help, we are better able to see the stuff that life's throwing at us. Now who has the advantage?
Be Thou My Vision. Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my Light.

NT
Deuteronomy 31:8

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News