ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (6-15; Audience participation requested)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person; he believed in me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jim Valvano

Tomorrow is Father's Day. Some of you are fortunate enough to still have a father around, and some of you are fortunate enough to BE a father. Regardless, we all have some memories, some fond and heart-warming, others less so, but all are important in the history of how we became who we are. Let's try something different today. If you're so inclined, post here your favorite memory(ies) of your own father, or of things you as a father have experienced. I'll start. For my dad, much of what he told me came in different contexts, but always seemed to be a good lesson for life in general.

On baseball: On every pitch, know the count, and ask yourself "what will I do if the ball is hit to me?" Plan ahead, so you don't have to think about it then. This was way before Gretzky said to skate where the puck is going to be. I've applied this liberally to life.
On help: "You need a helping hand? Look at the end of your other sleeve."
On being decisive: "Do something even if it's wrong."
On shaking hands: "Look the man in the eye, and even though his hands are bigger, give him a good grip. Don't hand him a dead fish."
On losing the family dog to old age, when I was only five: We sat down on the couch. He pulled me close and said quietly "Just sit here with me till you're done crying. It's ok."

That last one still slices my onions. This was the same man who warned me against crying, like most dads in those days. I learned that there were exceptions, and I reckon he'd have sat there with me for a long time.

9-17-81. RIP, Ernie. I'm an old man now, but I still miss him.

Let us hear from you.
NT
"In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you." John 14:3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News