ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (6-17)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
They've never been 70...but we HAVE been 25.
~~~~~~~~~~~ Another old coot about my age, after he and I and one other old coot saved a damsel in distress

Yep, she really was a damsel, and despite your innate skepticism, we actually did come to her aid. Saying that we "saved" her might be a stretch; I'll give you that. This is TL;DR, but stay with me here.

Here's what happened. I was parked in a lot that was on a steep incline, and the surface was partly concrete and partly large rocks and caliche. As I approached my car, I see this woman 40-something I'd guess, and a very young man, looking helplessly at her car, which she had backed into a spot in such a way that she couldn't get the car out without some damage to her front bumper assembly, because of rocks and potholes. I walked over in time to hear her say that she guessed she'd just call AAA. I encouraged her to wait and let's explore options. About that time, the aforementioned other old coots walked by, and asked if they could help. Bottom line, we found two lengths of 2 x 6, got them wedged in under the front tires to lift the front end up over the concrete, and she drove out, easily and without damage. (The car had FWD)

She acted as if we had all donated kidneys, and as we were taking our figurative victory laps, she came around and hugged us all with schoolgirl enthusiasm (best I can recall schoolgirls anyway). I asked what she did for a living; turns out she was a chaplain. We all had a nice visit and off she drove. That's when the above quoted comment was made.

As I left, I asked myself "what were the odds" that three old coots would show up randomly, on a Sunday morning, and have just the right combination of experience, ingenuity, and tenacity to help this gal out? I did some rough math on that, like a Vegas oddsmaker, then it hit me. We weren't dealing with with Vegas odds. These were "God's Odds." Now, while I do believe that an omnipotent God could have orchestrated all that, I don't personally think it works like that very often. I don't think He moves us around like tokens in some cosmic board game. I do believe, however, that this lady prayed about the problem she had. She's a chaplain, for cryin' out loud; of course she prayed. Likely she prayed for a solution but also for some calm. He gave her the calm not to panic, not to call AAA just yet, and let Him do His thing.

Then we three kings showed up. Her initial reaction was probably "I shoulda called AAA," but we managed. You never know when you might be the answer to someone's prayer.

Blessings all for a good week, and may we be the answers to someone's prayer every now and then.
NT
Matthew 7:7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News