Today's Gift, 8 September 2024

T-Sipper 1972

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2010
"Take a big bite; don't use big words."
Bulgarian Proverb

Last week, I was the beneficiary of an unsolicited AA cliche-which sparked contemplation.

Real faith is not about covering up the stark and dark realities of a fallen world with overused pseudo-biblical cliches, advertising a saccharine smile while living in a state of religious denial, or boasting about our ability to quote the Old Testament. It is not even about my counting the number of years I've gone without missing a Sunday service-as I'm prone to do.

Real faith never calls on us to swindle ourselves into "thinking" that things are better than they really are. Biblical faith is shockingly honest, a masterful blend of honesty and hope. So, the Bible does not call on you to deny reality; rather, it so in awe of the grandeur and glory of God that it is able to stare the darkest realities in the eye, and not be afraid.

Abraham did not need to "deny reality" in order to leave his home without knowing where God was taking him. David did not need to "deny reality" to face Goliath, and neither do we.

This week, let's be cheerful, not because we ought to, but because we are. Let's stive to remember that without faith it is "impossible" to truly know Him. Hebrews 11:6. And finally, let's remember the wise words of our very own @NativeTex who when referring to Biblical faith advised, "Never leave home without it."

Bmk1982

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.