ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Orlando praises growth of Kobe Boyce

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando addressed the media on Wednesday. Here are the highlights of his media availability:

--- Orlando on how cornerback Kobe Boyce has improved: “He's playing with a lot more confidence. I think beforehand there was a little bit of uncertainty, and I don't it's anything to do with the kid. I just think that he's had some people in front of him. He's kind of always been in this role, but now we kind of put him in the spotlight. If you can go out, in my opinion, and cover the guys that we have on the offensive side of the ball, and do that consistently that gives you some confidence. I like how he attacks the football. He’s very athletic. He's long and can make plays. So excited to watch him play.”

--- In addition, Orlando echoed the same sentiments when asked about Jalen Green. He said Boyce and Green improved during fall camp, and facing big receivers every day helped.

--- Orlando said Jeffrey McCulloch and Joseph Ossai are his main linebackers, but added Ayodele Adeoye and Juwan Mitchell will rotate at middle linebacker. Orlando said Mitchell is physical, instinctive, and the coach is proud of how the linebacker picked up this package.

--- In addition, Orlando said Ossai is more physical this year than last season. He believes everyone will be able to see dynamic plays. He also said Ossai is a good pass-rusher and in the run game.

--- When asked whether he will play six of eight defensive backs at some point on Saturday, Orlando said he would protect the program and not get into specifics.

--- Orlando on what stands out about Louisana Tech: “Well, experience. You go through there two deep, and I think everybody on the offensive side has been redshirted. They got all these older guys, and that's how you run a program to me. Then you look at the core there, from guard to guard, their guys have played multiple games. They've got a quarterback with three years under his belt. They got great outside receivers, and they got running backs that run hard. They get the ball in space. Coach Holtz has established the program. You get guys that fit into your system. They’re older, and they’re going to come in here with their experience, and that's going to be a big part of this game.”

--- Orlando on switching from training camp mode to a regular-season mentality: “I think we're starting to get ourselves back into game mode of discipline the part of it. That’s going to be a big thing in the first games. I think you saw that in the Miami game where things can get out of hand. It’s taking yourself out of fall camp mode and going, hey, this is one of the 12 opportunities. We have to have a different mindset. We're starting to address that.”

--- When asked about what he needs to see from cornerback Anthony Cook, Orlando said consistency is the biggest thing. However, he said Cook did have a good fall camp.

--- Orlando on what has impressed him about defensive end T’Vondre Sweat: “His athleticism. I mean, we kind of knew. I think with Yancy and his group, when they get them trimmed down a little bit … He’s twitchy. He's twitched. He's physical. He's long. He's mean. I know this part of it. He popped more early on in camp. We were like, young guy camp comes in here. Let's see how he does. The structure for anybody can be really good in the first week of fall camp, but Herm [Tom Herman] was on that really quick. He was like, hey, we need to see this guy a lot more. As we got him in more and more, he really performed well. You're going to see a lot of him on Saturday.”

--- Here is Orlando’s response when asked about Sam Ehlinger being a defensive leader this season: “Sam, to me, is like an honorary linebacker. That’s what Sam is. I think that's the quality that we all loved about him without ever picking up a football and throwing it or doing anything from a quarterback standpoint. Sam has always done a great job of cultivating team. I think told him and Shack [Zach Shackelford] this, because Shack to me is kind of the same way, too. It's like, hey, listen, when we go to a team period versus each other, I want us to try to get after each other’s butt's man. A winner and a loser. But the second that Coach Herman blows that horn, or that whistle, to stop that period, we’re back together as a team, and then we're reunited again. Sam is always welcome. I don't think there's a person in the locker room that doesn't respect Sam, better yet on the defensive side of the ball. That guy is everything about what you want out of a football player, as a human being, and he shows the grit and everything that goes along with what the expectation of Texas football. Sam is a unique guy. He really is. When you go into that, and have your quarterback be one to walk into a defensive unit, he’s got an open invite anytime he wants to come in. People listen. If you just think about all the stuff that got him to this point, the one thing he's always had into him is that great quality, that I gravitate to you kind of thing.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News