ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Herman discusses Saturday's scrimmage

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas football coach Tom Herman’s team held its first scrimmage of the year on Saturday. Here are the highlights of Herman’s media availability:

- Herman was proud of the team effort he witnessed during the eighth practice. He said, “I thought the defense showed up early. The offense struggled a little bit early, but found a rhythm, especially in the red zone. Again, happy with the fact that both sides of the ball had some success at different points. You never want any scrimmage to be one-sided. I feel good that today wasn’t.”

- A few guys were banged up on Saturday, but Herman said nobody sustained any serious injuries.

- Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s unit won the scrimmage. Herman said the defense generated a couple of turnovers early.

- Herman made offensive players do up-downs after committing turnovers in practice earlier this week. After hearing about turnovers on Saturday, Herman was asked if there was an issue with ball security and said, “Yes, and we’re addressing it. It’s great for the defense. If we had no turnovers, I’d be worried about the defense. You want to be somewhere in the middle. It’s probably a little bit too much. The ones that bother me are fumbles. That a choice that you make to be loose with the football. Sometimes interceptions happen, and they bait a quarterback into seeing something that’s not there, tipped balls. I’m not saying they’re okay, but when you fumble the football, that’s a choice.”

- Herman on his initial impression of Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger during the scrimmage: “It’s hard to tell without looking at the film. I don’t think it would be fair.”

- When asked about Calvin Anderson, Herman said, “You can tell the guy has played a lot of football. He’s really, really tough. We got to get him as big and strong and as fast as possible, but he’s tough. He’ll get in there and scrap, but you can also tell the offense is a bit new to him. Some of the calls, and especially against our defense. I’ll never forget the day last spring when Sam first got here when he should have been in high school, we had a third down day, blitzing all over the place, Sam walked off the field and said, ‘Coach, I swear to God they had 15 guys out there at times.’ Even though Calvin is very experienced, we got to sure up some of our rules.”

- However, Herman does not believe Denzel Okafor or Samuel Cosmi are noticeably stronger than Anderson.

- Herman said freshman running back has received frequent first-team reps in practice, defensive back Caden Sterns, while freshman defensive back DeMarvion Overshown received reps since Gary Johnson (shoulder sprain) was limited in Saturday’s scrimmage.

- Off the top of Herman’s head, no running back stood out on Saturday. Herman prefers to watch the film first.

- Herman said the current second stringers at linebacker is Malcolm Roach at middle, Anthony Wheeler at weakside and Jeffrey McCulloch at the B-backer, if healthy. If McCulloch is not healthy, Joseph Ossai.

- Daniel Young’s vision has improved, according to Herman. In addition, Herman said Young is stronger, will break more tackle than last year, and the running back is more comfortable in the offense.

- Herman said the earliest running back Tre Watson will participate in contact drills is Tuesday. Watson will be evaluated on Monday with a strength test in both legs.

- Herman said Ingram does have a “wow” factor, but still has a lot to learn.

- Kris Boyd and Devante Davis have stood out during training camp, according to Herman.

- Herman on the tights ends: “We have legitimately three-deep, and Max Cummins is actually developing improving quite a bit, too. I got to knock on wood on that thing right there. That’s certainly has been a problem in the past, having quality depth at that position. Really excited about their development, and the depth. We can roll guys in, we can play some 12-personnel. It’s been to watch those guys play.” In addition, Herman believes he can utilize his tight ends more in the passing game this year.

- During Saturday’s scrimmage, Herman believes the defense recorded a safety, fumble recover for a touchdown by John Bonney (he was not 100 percent sure), Anthony Cook intercepted a pass during a two-minute drill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News