ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Question

Texasrick

Feb 3, 2016
I heard there were a few guys still working out with the team that were in the portal. Does any one know who they are? I assume these are the guys that are just testing the water. Then if a guy tranfers and signs is he still considered on this years team as far as the awards the team may accomplish going forward?

That has to be an odd situation.
Eh-- not really-- for ALL of them. I doubt Malik feels awkward. He wants to play. There's a REALLY good dude infront of him. It happens.

Think about this-- know why we didn't know who Barry Sanders was until he had his Heisman year?
Because he was riding the pine behind a guy who went on to be a future NFL hall of fame guy-- Thurmon Thomas. Think Barry Sanders would have entered the portal in 1987 if he could? Think there'd be hard feelings?

I would think if your going in the portal, you would silent commit and not sign until after the playoffs. This would allow you to finish the year with the team you worked hard with all season and reap the awards, unless you are in a Malik situation and need the time to make visits. Unfortunately this is the rules of the NCAA of when you have to enter and that makes this a difficult situation.

Eh-- not really-- for ALL of them. I doubt Malik feels awkward. He wants to play. There's a REALLY good dude infront of him. It happens.

Think about this-- know why we didn't know who Barry Sanders was until he had his Heisman year?
Because he was riding the pine behind a guy who went on to be a future NFL hall of fame guy-- Thurmon Thomas. Think Barry Sanders would have entered the portal in 1987 if he could? Think there'd be hard feelings?
Ironically, I was recently speaking with a good friend before the B12 championship. He went to osu during those years. We apoke about the Thurmanator with Barry as his backup. I still think it is a little odd to announce, I am leaving and going to another team, potentially a competitor, but I will play with you guys for the remaining games.

I heard there were a few guys still working out with the team that were in the portal. Does any one know who they are? I assume these are the guys that are just testing the water. Then if a guy tranfers and signs is he still considered on this years team as far as the awards the team may accomplish going forward?
Casey Cain, Larry Turner-Gooden, and Sawyer Goram-Welch are the 3 guys still practicing with the team that have entered the portal. Sark said all these guys have done things the right way since they have been on campus so that's why he's letting them stay with the team for now.

Casey Cain, Larry Turner-Gooden, and Sawyer Goram-Welch are the 3 guys still practicing with the team that have entered the portal. Sark said all these guys have done things the right way since they have been on campus so that's why he's letting them stay with the team for now.
This isn’t bad. Catalon had only been there one season, so it seemed a little iffy. The others have been at Texas year after year and it makes sense to allow them because they have accumulated a love and loyalty to the university.

Reactions: Archmadness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT