ADVERTISEMENT

U. S. Soldier basically defects to N. Korea

Dude was looking for trouble in all the wrong places.

Almost seems like he was trying to get booted.

He'll be like that last guy north korea practically lobotomized. Not wishing ill will on anyone but that dude sounds like a real piece of work anyways.
They'll pump him for the Intel he doesn't have. Then they'll take some propaganda photos. Parade him around a bit. Show him off. Bemoan capitalism. Then he'll end up in a camp somewhere, on sh!tter detail.

Dude was looking for trouble in all the wrong places.

Almost seems like he was trying to get booted.
Damaged a police car then fought the policeman, got locked up in the brig, was flying back conus to be formally charged and dishonorably discharged.
Yeah, he wanted out and saying you like pp doesn't get the job done anymore. His chosen method to achieve that objective isn't the route I would have taken. 😆

Sounds like he was a good kid and had just went through his younger brother dying and it really messed him up mentally. He'd never been in trouble before his incident in South Korea.

Sounds like he was a good kid and had just went through his younger brother dying and it really messed him up mentally. He'd never been in trouble before his incident in South Korea.
Well that sucks for him. But he's just multiplied his problems by an order of magnitude.

A solid 2 generations have been sheltered from the harsh realities in this world outside of N America and W Europe.

Too many young adults now have a false sense of security in hostile places. Much of this world is still tribal in nature and if you aren't part of that particular tribe, your life is worth nothing.

Hopefully this guy is one of the lucky ones however unlikely.

I’ve been telling my kids this same thing for years. I’ve worked all over the world in the oil fields. These kids that think the USA is such a terrible place need to see 2nd place up close.
That kid is about to get an education.

Reactions: Catemus
A solid 2 generations have been sheltered from the harsh realities in this world outside of N America and W Europe.

Too many young adults now have a false sense of security in hostile places. Much of this world is still tribal in nature and if you aren't part of that particular tribe, your life is worth nothing.

Hopefully this guy is one of the lucky ones however unlikely.
Truth

You've undoubtedly seen worse than I.
And I've seen some cringe-worthy things. First time I ever went to Africa- we were doing a site assessment. Security detail. West Africa- to be more precise. I'd never smelled a dead body before. Seen plenty- car wrecks, funerals- etc. But not out in the sun for 3 weeks.....
Dude from South Africa looks at me and says "You realize your home is the Matrix and this is the real world- ya?".

Rule # 2 on the board in every classroom I've ever taught in...."Folks can't get along..." Hopefully when I'm done with them, at least some of my students have absorbed that life-saving lesson...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT