ADVERTISEMENT

welcome to the 40 Quin Ewers

Texas has beaten blow you plenty of times, I could have talked about any of those other times, but this is the best Texas team since 2005. Yes we are better than 2008 and 2009. Much more star power this year than we had with either of those classes. I fully expect to deliver a 2005 ass whipping to the the crimson boners.

I'm actually much more concerned about Okie Lite than you turd burglers.

Lol. Best team since 05? The 08 and 09 teams combined for 25-2 record and this team is better? ehlinger isnt as good as mccoy was. Two 1000+ yard receivers in 2008, another 1400 yard receiver in 2009 to go along a nasty top 3 defense. And the returning talent at WR?? The best returning wr had like 500 yards last year. You can say this year's team has potential but the defense sucks ass until proven otherwise, with a less talented qb and no proven dependable receivers- factors that really elevated the 09 team. They should most certainly have a better running game this season, but really that's just projecting potential because last year's rbs were about average but not special or difference makers in any way. They dont really have the kind of play makers that you rally have to game plan for.

I'd be more worried about OU than osu. All Osu has is a decent but interception prone qb, great rb and one good wr. Texas was better on offense last year than they were. let us not also forget they return a defense still giving up 400+ ypg, who was rated 7th out of a 10 team conference known for terrible defensive play. And worse of all, they have gundy, and OU has Riley.

Reactions: DrinkToIt
Kennedy Brooks, ou's #1 rb, just opted out of the season. Apparently Demarco Murray is not a hit. OU may finish in the bottom half of the league. They are very thin on d, qb, rb, and wr. No wonder riley wanted cancel the season.

They have always had quality depth at rb, so there are no issues there, especially since the Oline continues to improve. They have the best qb in the big 12 that isnt saying a lot yet, but he will be the all big 12 #1 qb though. Just about everyone is thin at qb after qb1. Wr isnt thin, it's just unproven after wr #1 but the depth of talent is very solid. I would never doubt a Riley offense, and i'd bet you a buffalo nickel they lead the big 12 in total offense again.

As far as Murray being a hit, Wheaton likes him and they are the favorite for two of the best rbs in the '22 class. Brooks opting out is unrelated to his position coach.

Heisennberg....your first post is solid as your posts generally are. Sadly, you had to make a second post that is puzzling. How can you say that our receivers only have potential, but your QB is the best in the Big12? I dont enjoy agreeing with Sooners that point out where we longhorns are too deep in the koolaide, but that is often the case. Yes...Lincoln Riley can flat out get the most out of his offenses. The defense not so much.

I hope for a season, but I am frankly whistleing past the graveyard on that. If it does come off I guess we might all have some questions answered.

Texas OL is suspect. D should be good. Going to need to open up the los with ingram, johnson, robinson, smith, and whittington. Ou d is suspect and the o is looking thin depth wise.

Heisennberg....your first post is solid as your posts generally are. Sadly, you had to make a second post that is puzzling. How can you say that our receivers only have potential, but your QB is the best in the Big12? I dont enjoy agreeing with Sooners that point out where we longhorns are too deep in the koolaide, but that is often the case. Yes...Lincoln Riley can flat out get the most out of his offenses. The defense not so much.

I hope for a season, but I am frankly whistleing past the graveyard on that. If it does come off I guess we might all have some questions answered.

I think it's easier to project the current OU qb in Riley's already proven offense than it would be for unproven wr in a new texas offense we havent seen much of yet. And that's more a subjective opinion on Rattler but i havent met a texas fan yet who is willing to bet me $ that Rattler wont have a better season.

I think Grinch has shown that he can squeeze water out of a dried sponge based on what he was able to do with the garbage he inherited from stoops. It will be interesting to see where that defense goes cause it's getting better.

I wont be surprised if we have no season but i also think it's got enough momentum to give me some serious hope

I think it's easier to project the current OU qb in Riley's already proven offense than it would be for unproven wr in a new texas offense we havent seen much of yet. And that's more a subjective opinion on Rattler but i havent met a texas fan yet who is willing to bet me $ that Rattler wont have a better season.

I think Grinch has shown that he can squeeze water out of a dried sponge based on what he was able to do with the garbage he inherited from stoops. It will be interesting to see where that defense goes cause it's getting better.

I wont be surprised if we have no season but i also think it's got enough momentum to give me some serious hope
The jury is still out on Rattler. All good things end eventually. For all we know he could have a career ending injury game 1. Don’t put the cart before the horse yet, especially on a kid who has yet to start a game in college. Baker, Kyler, and Jalen all had some game experience before coming to Norman.

The season is going to happen. The backlash the b1g is experiencing is huge. Schools that can't field a team will be forced to forfeit. That's how this will be handled. Why ou has 9 players infected and Texas 0 currently is a bit confusing. Why can't ou get their act together?

The jury is still out on Rattler. All good things end eventually. For all we know he could have a career ending injury game 1. Don’t put the cart before the horse yet, especially on a kid who has yet to start a game in college. Baker, Kyler, and Jalen all had some game experience before coming to Norman.

Rattler has had some game experience too. not as extensive obviously but he looks like he's going to be real good. Combine that with Riley & a good Oline and you have the tools to be great.

The season is going to happen. The backlash the b1g is experiencing is huge. Schools that can't field a team will be forced to forfeit. That's how this will be handled. Why ou has 9 players infected and Texas 0 currently is a bit confusing. Why can't ou get their act together?

Pretty obvious why. They go a whole month of testing with 0 and then they take a break. Clearly the best thing is to stay in a controlled environment on campus.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
I didnt realize Rattler was a red shirt. I thought he was a true freshman. I give you that he has talent and many advantages going into the year...ie...good O line...Riley offense, etc.....but no CD Lamb. I will be astonished if he has a better year than Sam though....and I dont think it will be close, but that is what is great about this time of year. Hell, I say good luck to Rattler. I just hope we get the season in without any major injuries or illness.

Reactions: soonersoldier
I didnt realize Rattler was a red shirt. I thought he was a true freshman. I give you that he has talent and many advantages going into the year...ie...good O line...Riley offense, etc.....but no CD Lamb. I will be astonished if he has a better year than Sam though....and I dont think it will be close, but that is what is great about this time of year. Hell, I say good luck to Rattler. I just hope we get the season in without any major injuries or illness.

Well said. I think Sam has some room for improvement but he hasn't been dealt the hand that OU qb's recently have. I do think it will be close between Sam and Spencer, but that is only if there is a football season which Indo not believe will happen (finish).

Lol. Best team since 05? The 08 and 09 teams combined for 25-2 record and this team is better? ehlinger isnt as good as mccoy was. Two 1000+ yard receivers in 2008, another 1400 yard receiver in 2009 to go along a nasty top 3 defense. And the returning talent at WR?? The best returning wr had like 500 yards last year. You can say this year's team has potential but the defense sucks ass until proven otherwise, with a less talented qb and no proven dependable receivers- factors that really elevated the 09 team. They should most certainly have a better running game this season, but really that's just projecting potential because last year's rbs were about average but not special or difference makers in any way. They dont really have the kind of play makers that you rally have to game plan for.

I'd be more worried about OU than osu. All Osu has is a decent but interception prone qb, great rb and one good wr. Texas was better on offense last year than they were. let us not also forget they return a defense still giving up 400+ ypg, who was rated 7th out of a 10 team conference known for terrible defensive play. And worse of all, they have gundy, and OU has Riley.

Let me get this straight, you think a guy that has never started a single game in his career is better than Ehlinger? You are high. Our 08 and 09 offense was great because Colt was great and Shipley was great, Crosby was very good in 08, but we had two guys that were unstoppable. This offense has much much better running backs and we are incredibly deep at WR. We are deep at every position on offense, some of it is unproven but the talent is there.

As far as our defense from 08 and 09, we had guys like Orakpo, Houston, and Thomas, three future 1st round picks, this year we have Ossai, Sterns, and Coburn, but around them are several guys that are also really good.

I'll stand by my statement, this is the most talented Texas team since 05.

The big difference between Texas and blowu is that your offense has to go against our defense, while our offense just has to face your crappy defense. I'll take those odds any day of the week.

Iike I said previously, Remember when you had Rhett Bomar and Peterson, you were feeling pretty confident, remember how that turned out. Well you don't have a Peterson this year to lean on.

Let me get this straight, you think a guy that has never started a single game in his career is better than Ehlinger? You are high. Our 08 and 09 offense was great because Colt was great and Shipley was great, Crosby was very good in 08, but we had two guys that were unstoppable. This offense has much much better running backs and we are incredibly deep at WR. We are deep at every position on offense, some of it is unproven but the talent is there.

As far as our defense from 08 and 09, we had guys like Orakpo, Houston, and Thomas, three future 1st round picks, this year we have Ossai, Sterns, and Coburn, but around them are several guys that are also really good.

I'll stand by my statement, this is the most talented Texas team since 05.

The big difference between Texas and blowu is that your offense has to go against our defense, while our offense just has to face your crappy defense. I'll take those odds any day of the week.

Iike I said previously, Remember when you had Rhett Bomar and Peterson, you were feeling pretty confident, remember how that turned out. Well you don't have a Peterson this year to lean on.

Yes. I do think that Rattler is more talented and has a better offense and play caller. So I'd be very confident in betting he will have a better season. Considering how well hurts played, and Rattler is a much more polished passer at this point. If I'm so high, bet me $20 then. I contend Rattler will have better statistics, will win more awards, place higher in the all big 12 team and receive more heisman votes. Should be easy money for you.

Well saying they are as talented is different than them having a 2005 or even 08 or 09 like season. Wr in 05 werent great, but they did have young. They dont have the qb and wr corps that 08/09 did; they dont have a shipley or crosby until proven otherwise. Plus a new OC and DC with barely any spring or summer to implement their systems doesnt typically give the utmost confidence. And the defense is light years different from those teams. Light years. Right now they stink and as an OU fan I know what shitty defense looks like. You think that D is gonna hold OU to 1 touchdown? I mean 05 was a special year for texas as a team and coincided with a rebuilding year for OU- just like with 2009, another down year for OU, the stars had aligned for texas.

As far as your last statement- OU's "crappy' Defense sacked ehlinger 9 times, gave up 5.5 yards per pass and 2.8 yards per rush and forced a 48 QB rating on ehlinger. So im good there. And yes OU does have to go up against texas' defense- which was nearly as bad as OU's 2018 defense. (2 yards per game better in fact). And i'm definitely good there too.

I can appreciate that you would be astonished by that. I did not expect hurts to outplay ehlinger and place 2nd in heisman voting myself. I think ehlinger had a higher ceiling than hurts did but the Riley factor is a whole other animal. It was then that i realized you dont have to be named Mayfield or Murray to shine in a Riley offense, even a guy with a limited skill set as a passer like hurts could be invited to NY. If ehlinger and hurts swapped teams in 2019, bet you a silver dollar hurts doesnt place in the heisman.

There's no lamb but just as you guys talk up your wr corps talent but is yet unproven, OU has talent in spades- they did sign three 5 star receivers in the 19 class who are going to be the focal point of the pass game to go along with Rambo (if he was a longhorn he'd be the most productive returning wr on the team) who is apparently projecting as a 1st rounder. They also got a guy in the '20 class who owns the national record for receiving yards in a season. not just last season, for any season any high school player has ever played. Over 2400 yards in 1 season of texas 5A ball which is just insane.

I would just ask this- when was the last time OU didnt have a guy step up and be awesome at wr? especially under Riley, they have had a 1000 yard receiver every year under him.

Last edited:
Yes. I do think that Rattler is more talented and has a better offense and play caller. So I'd be very confident in betting he will have a better season. Considering how well hurts played, and Rattler is a much more polished passer at this point. If I'm so high, bet me $20 then. I contend Rattler will have better statistics, will win more awards, place higher in the all big 12 team and receive more heisman votes. Should be easy money for you.

have no idea how to take you up on that bet, But I know a bet we can do, and that is a sig bet, I win you have to carry a sig I give you for the rest of the season, you win and I'll carry yours. All we need to do is hammer out the terms of the bet.

Well saying they are more talented is different than them having a 2005 like season. They dont have the qb and wr corps that 05 did; they dont have a shipley or crosby until proven otherwise. Plus a new OC and DC with barely any spring or summer to implement their systems doesnt typically give the utmost confidence. And the defense is light years different from those teams. Light years. Right now they stink and as an OU fan I know what shitty defense looks like. You think that D is gonna hold OU to 1 touchdown? I mean 05 was a special year for texas as a team and coincided with a rebuilding year for OU- just like with 2009, another down year for OU, the stars had aligned for texas.

Can you name a single Wr from our 05 team? I had a hard time remember them, that is how great they were. Billy Pittman, Limus Sweed, and we had one other. The most memorable pass catcher on that team was TE Dave Thomas. All of our guys were possession receivers.

Texas has Brennan Eagles who is not only killer fast, but big and strong, Coming out of high school he had the 2nd highest SPARQ score of all WRs.

Gatorade Player of the year Jake Smith who had a hell of a freshmen year last year.

Josh Moore - who might be the most talented receiver, he was suspended last year for being a dumbass, but even while he was suspended he was more than enough.

Jordan Whittington who might be the most explosive Wr we have. He is also a former 5'star

Marcus Washington - Another guy who played very well last year as a true freshmen.

This group is hands down better than the 05 receivers, whose best trait was they didn't drop many balls.

Where the 05 team has this team beat (besides QB) is the offensive line, that is not a slight against this line, only that the 05 line was a bunch of Junk yard dogs. None of them were as talented as Sam Cosmi, but they were a mean bunch. No other Texas offensive line since has been as good. This one comes the closest.

As far as your last statement- OU's "crappy' Defense sacked ehlinger 9 times, gave up 5.5 yards per pass and 2.8 yards per rush and forced a 48 QB rating on ehlinger. So im good there. And yes OU does have to go up against texas' defense- which was nearly as bad as OU's 2018 defense. (2 yards per game better in fact). And i'm definitely good there too.

As far as your defense goes, I don't care what you did the year before, Things change from year to year, and that team you faced was pretty banged up when you faced them. I don't care who you are, if your best players are hurt, nothing you can do about it.

As I said, your defense is not impressive, I expect you might be able to put up about 20 pts on our defense, but Texas is going to drop a fifty on your defense. That's how good our offense is going to be. I'm curious who is going to run the ball for your offense?

So about Ewers. Think he's why Milroe flipped or did the Brockertraitor twins flip him?

have no idea how to take you up on that bet, But I know a bet we can do, and that is a sig bet, I win you have to carry a sig I give you for the rest of the season, you win and I'll carry yours. All we need to do is hammer out the terms of the bet.

Sig bets are okay, been there, done that. I'd rather get some $ out of the deal, through paypal. A reasonable amount like $20 so you will feel like it's not too much to dole out.

Can you name a single Wr from our 05 team? I had a hard time remember them, that is how great they were. Billy Pittman, Limus Sweed, and we had one other. The most memorable pass catcher on that team was TE Dave Thomas. All of our guys were possession receivers.

Texas has Brennan Eagles who is not only killer fast, but big and strong, Coming out of high school he had the 2nd highest SPARQ score of all WRs.

Gatorade Player of the year Jake Smith who had a hell of a freshmen year last year.

Josh Moore - who might be the most talented receiver, he was suspended last year for being a dumbass, but even while he was suspended he was more than enough.

Jordan Whittington who might be the most explosive Wr we have. He is also a former 5'star

Marcus Washington - Another guy who played very well last year as a true freshmen.

This group is hands down better than the 05 receivers, whose best trait was they didn't drop many balls.

Where the 05 team has this team beat (besides QB) is the offensive line, that is not a slight against this line, only that the 05 line was a bunch of Junk yard dogs. None of them were as talented as Sam Cosmi, but they were a mean bunch. No other Texas offensive line since has been as good. This one comes the closest.

The 05 team seriously lacked wr talent which in today's game would hurt, but back then it wasnt affecting them much. Not with their run game and their qb. I think the qb made all the difference for texas as he basically won the title game vs usc.

No doubt, I think the potential is much greater at wr for texas this year, they just have to show they are as good as the hype behind them, just like OU's guys. I think they'll just be limited to what ehlinger and yuricich can do for them.

As far as your defense goes, I don't care what you did the year before, Things change from year to year, and that team you faced was pretty banged up when you faced them. I don't care who you are, if your best players are hurt, nothing you can do about it.

As I said, your defense is not impressive, I expect you might be able to put up about 20 pts on our defense, but Texas is going to drop a fifty on your defense. That's how good our offense is going to be. I'm curious who is going to run the ball for your offense?

Things do change from year to year, and as history has a way of repeating itself, Grinch has the defense on a similar trajectory that he had his WSU defense, improving year over year turning a perennial bottom 15 defense into a top 15 defense in just 3 seasons with mostly 3 star talent. not to say OU will be top 15 this season, but they improved from a bottom 10 defense into a top 30 defense in 1 season, improving over 100 yards per game with almost all the same players. So we have a legitimate reason to expect more things out of the defense, especially with the talent they have been recruiting the last couple years. texas just fired their dc and the new one hasnt had a chance to implement his scheme yet. remains to be seen if ash can have the effect on that defense grinch had at OU. til proven otherwise they are not good at all.

Man, sounds like another bet. They wont touch 50 points, they dont have the qb for it and this isnt 2018. It'll probably be like it was the last couple years. but i'd love to win some money off betting against your texas blowout in dallas. You are predicting at least a 3 touchdown beatdown. How about loser pays winner $3 for every point in the margin of victory. texas wins by 10, you get $30.

As long as the line keeps blocking, it wont matter who runs it with how well they recruit at rb. But Stevenson will probably be the top guy, he averaged 8 ypc last season. And before he came to OU he was just some juco. he does have a suspension to serve, but it remains to be seen how long it'll be with the way things are now. Not sure how closely you know about recruiting but they have marcus major and seth mcgowan waiting in the wings- both high 4 stars with impressive offer lists. it's the one position where losing the top 2 guys doesnt hurt as much.

So about Ewers. Think he's why Milroe flipped or did the Brockertraitor twins flip him?

I mean seems pretty obvious to me why he left. I would have left too. But why alabama? they just signed bryce young in the last class, this guy is destined for the portal either way.

I think it was a combination of things, first you have the reports of how good Card is doing plus you have JQJ who is also there. Then behind him you have Ewers there, who by all accounts is a generational QB. Finally the reaction of the fans to Ewers commitment, we were gushing over him.

Then on the other side you have the Brocks and Bama constantly whispering in his ear how much they need him and you have a lot of things working towards the moment of him decommitting.

Truthfully, I don't see him playing for Bama at all, he is going behind a QB that is #1 in the nation who is extremely polished as a passer. Young is going to be a 3 year starter, plus Bama is going to continue to recruit behind him, my guess is he stays for a year or two and transfers to a place like Houston, TCU or SMU.

Honestly, several guys predicted he would be an attrition guy at Texas once Ewers announced.

I think it was a combination of things, first you have the reports of how good Card is doing plus you have JQJ who is also there. Then behind him you have Ewers there, who by all accounts is a generational QB. Finally the reaction of the fans to Ewers commitment, we were gushing over him.

Then on the other side you have the Brocks and Bama constantly whispering in his ear how much they need him and you have a lot of things working towards the moment of him decommitting.

Truthfully, I don't see him playing for Bama at all, he is going behind a QB that is #1 in the nation who is extremely polished as a passer. Young is going to be a 3 year starter, plus Bama is going to continue to recruit behind him, my guess is he stays for a year or two and transfers to a place like Houston, TCU or SMU.

Honestly, several guys predicted he would be an attrition guy at Texas once Ewers announced.

That's the thing though. Does he not think Bama is going to go after a 2022 5 star QB too?

Rattler has had some game experience too. not as extensive obviously but he looks like he's going to be real good. Combine that with Riley & a good Oline and you have the tools to be great.
I guess if you call 11 pass attempts in mop up duty game experience then ok.

That's the thing though. Does he not think Bama is going to go after a 2022 5 star QB too?

The thing is, when he gets there there will only be 3 Qbs in the QB room, That number will stay that size until he is an upper-classmen. The one thing he has going for him is he will likely redshirt his freshmen year while Brice Young will likely start or play a significant amount during the season, if Young is as good as advertised it will likely be that Young will be gone when he is a junior giving him a 2 year window, that is if there isn't another phenom waiting in the wings, which there likely will be.

While at Texas, Ehlinger is the entrenched starter and that likely means JQJ and Card will likely redshirt and Card who is my current odds on Favorite to take the starting job will be a 3 or 4 year starter, this means he is waiting in the wings along with a generational QB who will more than likely pass him. He honestly had a chance, but only if he turned out to be the 2nd coming of Vince Young, I don't think he is that good.

I guess if you call 11 pass attempts in mop up duty game experience then ok.

If you read my post you would notice i referred to it as "some game experience" of which 11 attempts would qualify. From everything people are saying of him in practice and from the video on him, we have good reason to feel confident in what Riley will do with him.

Rattler is talented. This is his first year to start so this is our chance to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT