ADVERTISEMENT

What a wild Friday ... some thoughts, things I heard, what it means etc.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
What a day.

- Howell and I got to Mesquite Poteet at 6:30 a.m. today, when the only people there were a few students (cross country maybe?) and an assistant principal who was shocked we had found our way into the building. After a brief introduction, he couldn't have been more friendly. The people at Poteet were first-class from beginning to end.

- The commitments of Malik Jefferson and Deandre McNeal are obviously huge for Texas from a talent perspective, but today's events are much bigger than that (as Daylon Mack's decommitment reflects). I don't want to overstate things and we'll see where things go over the next couple months, but Friday could be a day we all look back at and remember as being huge in Texas' short-term future.

- Ketch asked me on the air what I'll remember from today's announcements when I look back at it. For me, the day will be remembered as Charlie Strong's first big (huge) recruiting moment, but I'll also remember the respect that Jefferson and McNeal have earned from the teachers, school administrators and fellow students. I've never seen a scene at a commitment announcement like the one I saw on Friday, where everyone was so genuinely happy for the two young men and the line for photographs had to be well over 100 deep.

- Great day of coverage for OB, and I was glad to be a part of it. Huge thanks to Intern Jeff, Taylor Gaspar and Jason Howell for making everything come together.

- On the flipside, there are certain elements of this industry that make my skin crawl. I pride myself on being an old-school guy who is objective, doesn't get involved in the recruiting process, lets the kids have their moments and tries to do it "by the book." The actions of some others in the business leaves a lot to be desired.

- I'll be surprised if Texas isn't in Daylon Mack's top two when he releases it on Saturday. If you're asking me to put my money down right now, I'll put it on Texas. I haven't talked to Daylon directly today, or anyone else close to the situation, but I've always thought UT had a shot with him. Add Jefferson to the equation and it just makes sense.

- I'll be shocked if Kris Boyd (and his brother DeMarco) aren't on the UT commit list soon. Kris Boyd tends to change his mind from time to time, but Friday's news may have been enough to officially tip the scales in UT's favor.

- I'm damn glad I postponed my Steelers trip for a day. Couldn't have worked out much better (a secret between us ... I wore a black and gold special ordered Rivals.com shirt under my blue Rivals.com pullover today ... probably the reason for the good fortune). With that being said, I'm going to rest my head for a few hours in this lovely Spring Hills Suites hotel room (that's on Howell's dime ... woohoo!!!) and head to the airport about the same time most of you are done celebrating today's news. You all have a great and safe weekend, thanks for your interest in today's coverage, and hopefully more good news for you all is right around the corner.

This post was edited on 12/19 9:22 PM by Suchomel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News