ADVERTISEMENT

What happened?

Hey @MiccoMacey what's up with Austin Stogner? It doesn't seem like he's been involved much this year. Is he injured?
You will be reintroduced to Stogner this coming Saturday, probably in the endzone. Big target, good hands. If you were up to date on OU you'd know Stogner developed a life threatening strep infection last year from a deep thigh bruise. Lost 35 pounds but is back healthy. Here's a link to bring you up to speed.
https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...ogner-is-now-healthy-fit-and-better-than-ever

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Here's the deal, as much as OU fans would like him to stay and win 2 more Heisman's, we have a log jam of 5* Qb's. Rattler has to go to the draft this year because no way Caleb Williams is going to ride pine next year, he'll hit the portal imo and then 5* Malachi Nelson coming in in the spring
I think you OU fans probably need to forget about the Heisman. Bijan has a better chance at the Heisman than Spencer as we stand today

There are several factors that killed the Huskers. Number one was leaving the conference, cutting their ties to most Texas recruits. But a close 2nd was when the NCAA put limits on the number of players you could have at practice. For a couple of decades, high school players, primarily from Nebraska walked on in Lincoln with little hope of ever playing. But they were being loyal to the state school. The Huskers had much higher practice player numbers, which allowed them to put together so many scout team players, that their top 80 players didn't have to be on a scout team. Some were, but many weren't. They could have guys who only worked on the other teams' stuff.

It allowed their guys who were going to play on Saturday to focus totally on their game prep. And they could alternate scout team players to provide many more reps each week for their game prep than you can get with typical numbers. But the NCAA put the kibosh on it a couple of decades ago. Put everybody on a total limit of shipped players and walk ons. Something in the low hundreds. They lost an advantage they'd had since the scholarship limits kicked in, during the mid 70's.

I'm told that with COVID, it went back up to 125, though.

There are several factors that killed the Huskers. Number one was leaving the conference, cutting their ties to most Texas recruits. But a close 2nd was when the NCAA put limits on the number of players you could have at practice. For a couple of decades, high school players, primarily from Nebraska walked on in Lincoln with little hope of ever playing. But they were being loyal to the state school. The Huskers had much higher practice player numbers, which allowed them to put together so many scout team players, that their top 80 players didn't have to be on a scout team. Some were, but many weren't. They could have guys who only worked on the other teams' stuff.

It allowed their guys who were going to play on Saturday to focus totally on their game prep. And they could alternate scout team players to provide many more reps each week for their game prep than you can get with typical numbers. But the NCAA put the kibosh on it a couple of decades ago. Put everybody on a total limit of shipped players and walk ons. Something in the low hundreds. They lost an advantage they'd had since the scholarship limits kicked in, during the mid 70's.

I agree with you but the biggest reason is that every coach since Tom Osborne was a bum. I mean they gave Bo Pellini 8 years. A good coach would have adjusted to the new rules.

I agree with you but the biggest reason is that every coach since Tom Osborne was a bum. I mean they gave Bo Pellini 8 years. A good coach would have adjusted to the new rules.
Frank Solich says hello. Come on @outhereincali Some of your posts make it seem like you just started watching college football last weekend. Cornhuskers rue the day they cut Solich loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Not sure how not winning a P6 level bowl tops being in the College Football Playoff. To me, it doesn’t. ND has had two top five finishes in the last four years.

No biggie. We’ll just agree to disagree.
I’ll give them a little slack but if they finished top 5 but shit the bed in all their major bowl games. So was their ranking overrated? Probably.

Rose BowlL, 14-31
BCS Championship
Miami, FL
L, 14-42
Sugar Bowl

Tempe, Arizona
L, 41-14
Fiesta Bowl

Tempe, Arizona
L, 34-20

The draft boards I've seen this week have Rattler going 1st round?
He's a 1st round pick because the potential is there. He has an NFL arm and can make pretty much any throw on the field. His problem is the mental aspect and that's the reason he has dropped as the season has progressed. The NFL is a QB driven league and every year there are 4 to 5 teams desperate to find one. There will be a team that will take a chance on him early just from the potential alone.

Reactions: Belldozer1
He's a 1st round pick because the potential is there. He has an NFL arm and can make pretty much any throw on the field. His problem is the mental aspect and that's the reason he has dropped as the season has progressed. The NFL is a QB driven league and every year there are 4 to 5 teams desperate to find one. There will be a team that will take a chance on him early just from the potential alone.

While I agree with you that some NFL team will reach and take Rattler in the first round, they'll regret it. This kid doesn't have it between the ears, and his albino fro doesn't help, lol.

While I agree with you that some NFL team will reach and take Rattler in the first round, they'll regret it. This kid doesn't have it between the ears, and his albino fro doesn't help, lol.
It happens every year where a team desperate for a QB reaches and takes a guy with a bunch of question marks. Hell Jerry almost took Manziel over Zack Martin and boy am I glad he didn't lol. Then he turned around and almost traded up to get Paxton Lynch the year after that I believe it was.

Reactions: LonghornMM
It happens every year where a team desperate for a QB reaches and takes a guy with a bunch of question marks. Hell Jerry almost took Manziel over Zack Martin and boy am I glad he didn't lol. Then he turned around and almost traded up to get Paxton Lynch the year after that I believe it was.

Stephen Jones is the voice of reason within the Cowboys brass. He's pretty much taken over the personnel decisions from Jerry.

Steroid testing and not being able to accept partial and non qualifiers killed Nebraska.
My theory is that Osburne was the first coach to really emphasize steroids. I used to work with an ortho surgeon, hardest worker I ever knew. He was all city LB in LA, starting MLB at Harvard. He had friends at USC, mid 70s. He said that Harvard and USC both had steroids at the training table. At Harvard, you weren't told to take them.

You will be reintroduced to Stogner this coming Saturday, probably in the endzone. Big target, good hands. If you were up to date on OU you'd know Stogner developed a life threatening strep infection last year from a deep thigh bruise. Lost 35 pounds but is back healthy. Here's a link to bring you up to speed.
https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...ogner-is-now-healthy-fit-and-better-than-ever

Glad he's better, but no, I don't keep up with OU football Bell.

You forgot the part of somehow it was all Texas' fault...

Bingo. And really that's what it's all about, the potential. When Rattler is on he's the best pure passer I've seen roll thru Norman. Our Oline hasn't been great and Rattler has thrown off his back foot a few times that resulted in interceptions but he's got the potential imo no doubt.

Bingo. And really that's what it's all about, the potential. When Rattler is on he's the best pure passer I've seen roll thru Norman. Our Oline hasn't been great and Rattler has thrown off his back foot a few times that resulted in interceptions but he's got the potential imo no doubt.

Bell, Rattler is the most overrated OU QB that I've seen in a long, long time. You're letting your bias cloud being objective about him. He's not that good.

Bell, Rattler is the most overrated OU QB that I've seen in a long, long time. You're letting your bias cloud being objective about him. He's not that good.
Haha ok but if he goes 1st round then someone obviously agrees, right?

He'll probably go first round because the NFL is a QB league. Just because he goes in the first round doesn't necessarily make him first round worthy though. Some team will probably reach for him (I hope that it's the Texannes) and he will be a bust.

Just look at history and how many QBs that were drafted in the 1st round didn't have any business being drafted there. Teams reach in hopes of finding a franchise QB. I think the NFL is going to chew him up and spit him out though. I just don't see him being mentally capable of handling the outside noise that comes with being a high draft pick. I think that's a lot of his problems this year was reading all the press clippings of NFL scouts drooling over him coming into the season.

Just look at history and how many QBs that were drafted in the 1st round didn't have any business being drafted there. Teams reach in hopes of finding a franchise QB. I think the NFL is going to chew him up and spit him out though. I just don't see him being mentally capable of handling the outside noise that comes with being a high draft pick. I think that's a lot of his problems this year was reading all the press clippings of NFL scouts drooling over him coming into the season.
Hey you may be right but the goal of all these guys is to be a 1st round pick and the money that goes with it. At least that would be my initial goal. You may end up looking like Joe Burrow in the pros with no Oline

Hey you may be right but the goal of all these guys is to be a 1st round pick and the money that goes with it. At least that would be my initial goal. You may end up looking like Joe Burrow in the pros with no Oline
Joe Burrow is tearing it up right now. His offensive line has gotten better the last 2 weeks.

Joe Burrow is tearing it up right now. His offensive line has gotten better the last 2 weeks.
My bad, I don't watch pro ball , just read up on it and sounds like Burrow got killed last year and beginning of this year

To Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, USC, Penn St, Florida St and Notre Dame? We’re not the only football program that hasn’t been a power house in quite some time.
These things go in cycles, it takes a lot to compete at the highest levels and getting the right pieces in the right places is a complex puzzle to piece together which is why it is so fun and satisfying to watch when everything is clicking.

These things go in cycles, it takes a lot to compete at the highest levels and getting the right pieces in the right places is a complex puzzle to piece together which is why it is so fun and satisfying to watch when everything is clicking.

They absolutely do. Alabama's time is coming one day too. No program is immune from some down years.

Nebraska is easy. There used to be 200 farm boys show up every year to walk on. Imagine being able to keep your 2nd and 3rd team fresh by using those walk ons as tackling dummies. Then, every year, one if those walk ons jumps up and becomes all conference or all-amerucan because for the first time in their life they're actually training with weights, not tossing hay.

Big Agricultural killed Nebraska.
Nebraska was loaded with elite talent..

Them boys knocked you 4 directions in the 70s 80s and 90s.
You might want to check your head to head record with us and Nebraska. We stand at 6-2 us with them and the reality is it was the beatings we gave them that changed Osborne's approach to recruiting where he began to emphasize as we did athleticism and speed at all positions..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT