ADVERTISEMENT

What I'm hearing about Ukraine while in Europe

SuperPhly

Don Vergas
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Mexico City, Mexico
I'm sorta moving around Europe for the next 3 months. I'm basecamping for two weeks at a time in different parts and then spidering out on one and two day excursions. The first part of the trip, I'm doing solo because I have a ton of work to juggle and women seem to eat that time up. This allows for me to visit coffeeshops and strike up conversations. As you guys can see, I've never left my mom's basement which means I'm pale as hell and weight about 630lbs... so naturally I stick out.

OK, so getting to the Ukraine topic. I've talked to several Italians (all from Lombardy) who are all in their 50s, 60s and 70s. Apparently the Lake Garda area is a retirement community in the off season. After casual conversation, they seem to all bring up Ukraine and want to know what an American's perspective is. I'm not real sure where I sit, because there are a bunch of pros and cons on both sides of this stupid conflict. No strong feelings one way or another - so I'm sorta in spectator mode until I can get some perspective.

This is NOT how the Italians and a few Polish folks I've talked to feel. There has been one singular take from the 10 or so people I've talked to. They all hate Ukrainians and they all say they deserve what they are getting. They are dishonest people, super corrupt and what they did to the Poles after WW2, will never be forgotten. They told me of Ukrainians hunting down pregnant Polish women and doing all kinds of things that I don't really want to put on full display. One couple told me there's a special place in hell for Russians, but the darkest part of hell is reserved for the Ukrainians.

I wouldn't feel the need to post this if it was just one conversation I had with some rando on the train... this has been a recurring theme across everyone I've talked to.
This is SuperPhly, reporting live from less than 1000 miles away from the conflict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News