ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with our DL recruiting?

westx

Dec 6, 2009
I am here watching the world series and checking out our recruiting-specifically on the defensive line. There is only one 5* defensive tackle and three 5* defensive ends per ESPN 300. The defensive tackles section, I see bama with 3 commits in the top 20 DTs, aggsy with 2, Miss St (yes, Miss St) with 2 and Michigan with 2. blowu was a little further down, but a 4*, nonetheless. Texas-ZIP. Okay, for the defensive end section, there is bama with 3 commits in the top 20 DEs and 5 in the top 25 (unbelievable), blowu has 1 in top 20 and 1 further down but 4*s, aggsy with 1. Texas-ZIP. Anybody know who is responsible for recruiting our DLs? Is it Giles? Hmmm, concerning.

Trick question.

Coaches are assigned based on regions and sometimes based on players.

Rex Norris was the coach that recruited me, but not because he was going to be my dline coach, but because he grew up in Midland (I was born in odessa) and he played football against my uncle who eventually played baseball at Texas.

We west Texas folk are very clanny. No @Scholz that doesn't mean we were in the Klan.;)
And so the metric for recruiting me meant to use THAT specific coach for that specific recruit.

Most schools don't drill down that far and it's sort of less complicated. Coach Dawson at ucla recruited me because he was the only Texan on staff. Bob pittard at Georgia recruited me because I was his assigned area. Joe paterno recruited me because I was one of his top recruits---- it's different from staff to staff.

I would guess that oscar has a hand in all dline recruits though.

Trick question.

Coaches are assigned based on regions and sometimes based on players.

Rex Norris was the coach that recruited me, but not because he was going to be my dline coach, but because he grew up in Midland (I was born in odessa) and he played football against my uncle who eventually played baseball at Texas.

We west Texas folk are very clanny. No @Scholz that doesn't mean we were in the Klan.;)
And so the metric for recruiting me meant to use THAT specific coach for that specific recruit.

Most schools don't drill down that far and it's sort of less complicated. Coach Dawson at ucla recruited me because he was the only Texan on staff. Bob pittard at Georgia recruited me because I was his assigned area. Joe paterno recruited me because I was one of his top recruits---- it's different from staff to staff.

I would guess that oscar has a hand in all dline recruits though.
I didn't know you were from west Texas. That's cool. I find it odd that people consider Abilene as west Texas. While I am at it, I have also found it odd that people refer to Lubbock as part of the panhandle. No biggie. I am sure I am probably in the minority even though I am an expert regarding the panhandle and west Texas :)

As far as recruiting, it is good to know. I like the direction that Herman has lead so far and ramped up our physicality, but, I just don't see us being relevant without the hosses on the DL. I guess we will need all 5* DBs, because our DL won't be able to generate a consistent pass rush and maintain containment for speed QBs if this continues.

I didn't know you were from west Texas. That's cool. I find it odd that people consider Abilene as west Texas. While I am at it, I have also found it odd that people refer to Lubbock as part of the panhandle. No biggie. I am sure I am probably in the minority even though I am an expert regarding the panhandle and west Texas :)

As far as recruiting, it is good to know. I like the direction that Herman has lead so far and ramped up our physicality, but, I just don't see us being relevant without the hosses on the DL. I guess we will need all 5* DBs, because our DL won't be able to generate a consistent pass rush and maintain containment for speed QBs if this continues.
If you're from Lubbock, you're at the steps of the panhandle. So, doom on you. My mom and pops went to Texas and my old man did post grad work at WTSU, which is in canyon Texas, now called west Texas atm..... my mom did her post grad at UT. Look hoss, once you get north of 20... you're flirting with the panhandle.

But I still speak your language.

If you're from Lubbock, you're at the steps of the panhandle. So, doom on you. My mom and pops went to Texas and my old man did post grad work at WTSU, which is in canyon Texas, now called west Texas atm..... my mom did her post grad at UT. Look hoss, once you get north of 20... you're flirting with the panhandle.

But I still speak your language.
No man, I am from a tiny town in the panhandle. I think it takes growing up there to find the beauty of it. I wouldn't go back to live there, but, I loved growing up there. It was a big deal to get to go to Amarillo for school trips and we would have certain events here and there at "WT". When you are from a small town, WT is cool. Most people in the panhandle go to WT, Okie Lite, and Tech.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
No man, I am from a tiny town in the panhandle. I think it takes growing up there to find the beauty of it. I wouldn't go back to live there, but, I loved growing up there. It was a big deal to get to go to Amarillo for school trips and we would have certain events here and there at "WT". When you are from a small town, WT is cool. Most people in the panhandle go to WT, Okie Lite, and Tech.
Sunray, Dumas, Pampa, Shamrock, Dalhart?

Bovina?
Happy?
Gruver?
Spearman?
Waka?

That's my off the top of my head limit, for now.

I am here watching the world series and checking out our recruiting-specifically on the defensive line. There is only one 5* defensive tackle and three 5* defensive ends per ESPN 300. The defensive tackles section, I see bama with 3 commits in the top 20 DTs, aggsy with 2, Miss St (yes, Miss St) with 2 and Michigan with 2. blowu was a little further down, but a 4*, nonetheless. Texas-ZIP. Okay, for the defensive end section, there is bama with 3 commits in the top 20 DEs and 5 in the top 25 (unbelievable), blowu has 1 in top 20 and 1 further down but 4*s, aggsy with 1. Texas-ZIP. Anybody know who is responsible for recruiting our DLs? Is it Giles? Hmmm, concerning.

Read this. I posted in recruiting thread. We are running a different defense than the conventional 4-3-4. I know everyone would like to complain but it seems that it works. We are recruiting different players that don't match up with the traditional recruiting metrics. We are utilizing tweeners that don't normally get the attention that the standard height, length, weight guys get. These tweeners seem to be long frame, freakish athletes that can add muscle. We are eliminating the slow and fat d lineman for something taller, leaner, and much quicker. Remember Herman's "fatties" comment last year regarding our DT's? In my best estimation, orlando's d is flanking what most are trying to do in cfb and we are way ahead of the curve.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...dd-orlando-cutting-edge-defensive-coordinator

Clob, you prolly understand this better than anyone here since you lived it. What's going on with orlando's scheme and our defensive recruiting?

Last edited:
^^^
My understanding is outside a run plugging NT that can eat 2 OLs every play Orlando values speed in his linemen

Keep in mind aggy is throwing money around at levels not seen since Jackie Sherrill.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
^^^
My understanding is outside a run plugging NT that can eat 2 OLs every play Orlando values speed in his linemen

Keep in mind aggy is throwing money around at levels not seen since Jackie Sherrill.

I imagine that UT is gathering pertinent info on aggy cheating... we are waiting for the right moment to drop the bomb in the press just like we did to Baylor and Sherrill back in the day. The next time we nuke aggy by exposing their cheating ways is going to be yuuuge. They are no longer a conference member that needs to be rebooted hence protected. Little bro is going to get dropped off at the orphanage.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Sunray, Dumas, Pampa, Shamrock, Dalhart?

Bovina?
Happy?
Gruver?
Spearman?
Waka?

That's my off the top of my head limit, for now.
Not bad, if you know some of those towns. LOL, Waka is just a grain elevator stop for the wheat farmers. Since, nobody ever knows the rural panhandle, I always begin at Amarillo, where pretty much everybody knows Amarillo, then I ask-you heard of Pampa/Borger (yes), okay, then about 70 northish, there is town named Perryton-ever heard of that (few yes, but mostly no), then okay, 15 miles east there is smaller town Booker-That is where I grew up. BTW, the drive from Pampa to Perryton is my favorite. It is a 70 mile drive and a good portion of it is nothing but beauty. T Boone even put an amazing ranch there. You can't see it off of that highway but, he has quite a few sections of land. I think he was selling it some time ago, but, I don't know if anybody bought it. There are quite a few wealthy farmers (from O&G), but, I don't think they are "T Boone kind of rich".

Read this. I posted in recruiting thread. We are running a different defense than the conventional 4-3-4. I know everyone would like to complain but it seems that it works. We are recruiting different players that don't match up with the traditional recruiting metrics. We are utilizing tweeners that don't normally get the attention that the standard height, length, weight guys get. These tweeners seem to be long frame, freakish athletes that can add muscle. We are eliminating the slow and fat d lineman for something taller, leaner, and much quicker. Remember Herman's "fatties" comment last year regarding our DT's? In my best estimation, orlando's d is flanking what most are trying to do in cfb and we are way ahead of the curve.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...dd-orlando-cutting-edge-defensive-coordinator

Clob, you prolly understand this better than anyone here since you lived it. What's going on with orlando's scheme and our defensive recruiting?
Well, it doesn't make me feel any better, but, I guess I just have to trust Herman.

Not bad, if you know some of those towns. LOL, Waka is just a grain elevator stop for the wheat farmers. Since, nobody ever knows the rural panhandle, I always begin at Amarillo, where pretty much everybody knows Amarillo, then I ask-you heard of Pampa/Borger (yes), okay, then about 70 northish, there is town named Perryton-ever heard of that (few yes, but mostly no), then okay, 15 miles east there is smaller town Booker-That is where I grew up. BTW, the drive from Pampa to Perryton is my favorite. It is a 70 mile drive and a good portion of it is nothing but beauty. T Boone even put an amazing ranch there. You can't see it off of that highway but, he has quite a few sections of land. I think he was selling it some time ago, but, I don't know if anybody bought it. There are quite a few wealthy farmers (from O&G), but, I don't think they are "T Boone kind of rich".

An ol Kiowa! Follett, Darrozuett, Lipscomb, Higgins (my 1st coaching job was at Higgins)....and you might have had some tasty bierox. Great people in that part of the panhandle.

Reactions: westx
Bottom line, offenses in your league require more lean people and less bulk than the SEC or the BIG 10. Nobody just lines up and runs it down your throat with a tremendous amount of success, which is one reason your power game has been effective. Most defenses in the Big 12 have neither the weight or depth to stop it for 4 quarters. I think your approach has been smart in this regard.

Not trying to hijack but when it comes to the panhandle I airways think of Palo Duro Canyon. PDC is the best kept secret for Texas beauty. People refer to it as the Texas Grand Canyon and for good reason it's a condensed version of the Grand Canyon. You can.go on trails by foot or on horse. I recommend going to a Cowboy breakfast or dinner take your pic. There is a play called Texas which is about Texas history in the panhandle. Anyone reading this needs to make time to visit there.

The panhandle has a lot of towns with great names my favorite is New Deal. It has a temperature time clock on the school marquis. It's got to be the only town in America named after a federal government program. But there aren't many good players from the panhandle.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Amarillo. We would go sometimes to Happy for Sunday dinner
at my Aunt's house.Traveling to Happy we would spot the grain elevators of Happy. in the distance and it looked like the highway would run into them. The land around Happy seemed to be perfectly flat and no trees to spoil the view. It was a boring ride.

I was born and raised in Amarillo. We would go sometimes to Happy for Sunday dinner
at my Aunt's house.Traveling to Happy we would spot the grain elevators of Happy. in the distance and it looked like the highway would run into them. The land around Happy seemed to be perfectly flat and no trees to spoil the view. It was a boring ride.
The guy that ran that elevator in happy for years was named Dick Campsy. He went to school with my folks.

I worked for a short time at Paco Feedyard in Friona! Loved my time in Lubbock and Friona........

But back to DL, should we be worried about that?

Giles is a good Coach,we will be ok

Bottom line, offenses in your league require more lean people and less bulk than the SEC or the BIG 10. Nobody just lines up and runs it down your throat with a tremendous amount of success, which is one reason your power game has been effective. Most defenses in the Big 12 have neither the weight or depth to stop it for 4 quarters. I think your approach has been smart in this regard.
Yeah, you've gotta focus on what you primarily see so being loaded with slow masses won't cut it against air assaults in league play. The balancing act goes both ways though. It all depends on who does what they do better on any given saturday.

Yeah, you've gotta focus on what you primarily see so being loaded with slow masses won't cut it against air assaults in league play. The balancing act goes both ways though. It all depends on who does what they do better on any given saturday.

I agree. SEC Defenses could in fact be shellshocked by an in rhythm air raid attack. I am an ol West Texas boy myself; born and raised in Big Spring. City water sucks but Mexican food exemplary.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I agree. SEC Defenses could in fact be shellshocked by an in rhythm air raid attack. I am an ol West Texas boy myself; born and raised in Big Spring. City water sucks but Mexican food exemplary.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of it all it depends on who executes their bread and butter the best.

Good article, Nueces. Thanks for posting. However, I didn't see anything specific about the DL and the best fit for Orlando's 3-4 defense. Clemson has big AND fast down linemen. They are able to control the line and maintain containment all while getting some pressure on the QB. We are nowhere near that and longer speedier DL won't accomplish that either (IMO). National titles and maybe even Big 12 titles are not in the picture without a dominating DL.

Good article, Nueces. Thanks for posting. However, I didn't see anything specific about the DL and the best fit for Orlando's 3-4 defense. Clemson has big AND fast down linemen. They are able to control the line and maintain containment all while getting some pressure on the QB. We are nowhere near that and longer speedier DL won't accomplish that either (IMO). National titles and maybe even Big 12 titles are not in the picture without a dominating DL.

Ya, it's their 2nd year with this scheme and it's designed to stop spread/air raid offenses. It can be effective against pro sets but the CB's have to be lock down guys. If they aren't studs, well you get our first quarter vs osu. Anyway, the NT needs to eat 2 lineman and the ends need to control gap and be able to speed rush on pass. Right now we don't have it. Brenda was a linebacker when he was recruited so props to yancy mcknight for getting him where he is.... Next year is going to be dicey with what we lose on the defense.

recruiting is tricky. It's not about who's ranked higher and who has what 5-4 stars. There's lot of details, back stories, and drama in between. This year the top talent in TX is Leal and that's it. Everyone else is far behind. Leal is all aggy, maybe a dirty recruitment, who knows? Behind that they looked for high ceiling, big frame, athletes that they can mold into what they want. (Not a great strategy to build a program on, but will be just fine for one class) Thats where our 3 star DE's come in. We have those guys and continue to recruit the top end talent from out of state. We are still in it for some big names, but most likely we'll have to look Juco or hit the grad transfer market for our DL guys.

I think grad transfer will turn into another recruiting season, especially with the new redshirt rule. The problem with that is, you never know who's leaving or wanting to leave their school until they announce it.

We are definitely lacking depth on the defensive line. Back in the Mack Brown years we always had a big physical defensive line that could get after the quarterback and stuff the run. I understand our scheme is different now but we are not putting very much value towards our defensive line in recruiting it feels like.

I imagine our last 2 opponents read that too. Because our blitzing is primarily inside and we are getting burned with runs & passes on the edges. Time for Orlando to mix it up. Otherwise, next game will be more of the same.

I imagine our last 2 opponents read that too. Because our blitzing is primarily inside and we are getting burned with runs & passes on the edges. Time for Orlando to mix it up. Otherwise, next game will be more of the same.

yep

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT