ADVERTISEMENT

What stats should I post next?

I want to see passing defense statistics between Texas blOwU and aggy.

I also want to see penalty numbers between the first and second game against blOwU to show how much we got screwed in the Big 12 championship.

Reactions: KYLEUMLANG
I want to see passing defense statistics between Texas blOwU and aggy.

I also want to see penalty numbers between the first and second game against blOwU to show how much we got screwed in the Big 12 championship.

Both would be cool. I re-watched the RRR and B12 CCG. Night and Day, the number of pass interference called against us and the number not called against OU was astonishing.

The RRR was an evenly called game.

Actual QB carries per game and QB rushing TDs between Mond and Ehlinger since aggy calls Sam Texas’ leading rusher. Hint- if Texas didn’t default to Sam on the goal line Mond would have more carries per game. I believe Sam averaged one more carry a game than Mond for 2018.

sushihorn already did the percentage of carries math for it.
Statistically there is very little difference in the QB running workload. Sam had 164 carries out of 1045 offensive snaps or 15.7%. Mond had 149 carries in 980 snaps or 15.2%. Sam scored 16 TDs rushing vs 7 for Mond. Tom Herman could have fixed the problem entirely by calling fewer TD runs from Sam. Or Herman could have fixed the problem and then some by matching aggy in failing to make the conference championship. Think about the "system" bragging rights that would have produced!
https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/in...-candi/page/207/&tab=comments#comment-1491026

Last edited:
Both would be cool. I re-watched the RRR and B12 CCG. Night and Day, the number of pass interference called against us and the number not called against OU was astonishing.

The RRR was an evenly called game.
That corner blitz called by jelly tits was the only dB play that game will be remembered for and what a play it was.

Reactions: KYLEUMLANG
I've been posting random stats on Twitter all offseason, but as the season approaches, what stats would yall like to see?
1). Is there a stat that describes our inability to keep a damn lead and not make every game a nail biter? Was it play calling or average offensive play?
2) stat of tight end catches entire seasonvs ou tight end catches over entire season for last two seasons.

1). Is there a stat that describes our inability to keep a damn lead and not make every game a nail biter? Was it play calling or average offensive play?
2) stat of tight end catches entire seasonvs ou tight end catches over entire season for last two seasons.
1.) It is called being 1 deep at most positions and trying to run the clock out as your QB cost you three games the previous season, as a FR, throwing 4th quarter INTs.

That corner blitz called by jelly tits was the only dB play that game will be remembered for and what a play it was.

I'm still so pissed about that play design. Someone screwed up...either TH, Beck, Ingram or Sam. You never leave the short side of the field unblocked with trips on the other side. Plus Sam looked to the trips side immediately and there was no short side edge protection. Ugh...

Me too. I want Sportscenter to go off on how unsportsmanlike of Herman it is to beat OU by 40
0i5EOib.png
0i5EOib.png

Rod Babers seems to think the 4th quarter issues last year were mainly due to Orlando not having faith in the offense. Says the defense won't be so cautious late in games this year because he now has full faith in the offense. We'll see. And yeah, if we didn't shut down both sides trying to preserve a 3 TD lead, we could've easily beaten OU by 40.

Rod Babers seems to think the 4th quarter issues last year were mainly due to Orlando not having faith in the offense. Says the defense won't be so cautious late in games this year because he now has full faith in the offense. We'll see. And yeah, if we didn't shut down both sides trying to preserve a 3 TD lead, we could've easily beaten OU by 40.

heard that on the Longhorn Blitz too

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I've been posting random stats on Twitter all offseason, but as the season approaches, what stats would yall like to see?
Kyle, loving the stat breakdowns - especially when ripping apart aggy narratives.

Two that bug me:
1. After every commit they talk about how either the commit will rise in the rankings or has recently jumped up in the rankings. Could you look at average player change rank after commitments to a school?

2. Why does FPI hate Texas? I'm assuming we didn't perform well in the stats they utilize to assess teams despite winning 10 games.

FPI is fools gold. I don't care how much ESPN loves it, I look at games and watch teams perfrom I have a great idea of who is good and who isn't. There were at least 10 teams ranked ahead of Texas that we would have beaten down with double digit win if we played them.

FPI is a prime example of why nerds have no business in football, they think their calculators are always right, it's not how life works.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
FPI is fools gold. I don't care how much ESPN loves it, I look at games and watch teams perfrom I have a great idea of who is good and who isn't. There were at least 10 teams ranked ahead of Texas that we would have beaten down with double digit win if we played them.

FPI is a prime example of why nerds have no business in football, they think their calculators are always right, it's not how life works.
I agree, it is really hard to create a computer algorithm that can determine how good a football team is but people will continue to try. I am mostly curious as to why FPI doesn't think we are as good as I actually think we are.

Throughout all of last season, FPI had us ranked lower than our W-L and poll rankings

I hope Vegas follows the FPI.... Yes, the FPI is fools gold. It's stupid. I would make a mint if Vegas followed the FPI. Go look at the updated lines as of yesterday. Texas is making a major jump and my aspirations for easy money are fading.

FPI is pretty worthless in college football because its predictions are derived from preseason expectations. It may be useful for teams who return tons of starters but for teams who are bringing in new players its really just a numerical guess. I really don't see the FPI having any predictive ability until very late in the season and even then you are looking at a very small sample size.

FPI works a lot better for an established team over a rebuilding project team.

There is nothing in FPI to account for if Sam can stop overthrowing open receivers deep then defenses will no longer cheat up in the box which in turn helps the running game.

the Horns are 3-point home dogs to LSU, 2-point road dogs at West Virginia, 2-point road dogs at TCU and 8-point home favorites vs. Texas Tech.

The arbitrage was there. The line moved to pickem vs LSU and we are favored vs WVU. The 8 point line vs tech won't hold.

Updated lines per DMN:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-games-2019-favored-texas-ou-texas-lsu-am-lsu

Texas is now a 12.5 pt favorite vs WVU. I would love to wager with the idiot giving them a 2pt advantage. Just checked the date.... 5/20/19. The eastern bias was in full swing in spring until reality set in.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
@KYLEUMLANG - I saw you getting into it with an aggy on twitter about viewership. I looked up the numbers earlier in the spring after getting tired of that narrative.

"Texas ranked 7th overall in home game attendance at 97.7k per game, filling 97.5% of our stadium capacity. A&M ranked 6th with 99.8K, filling 97.1% of their stadium.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...s-2018-Ohio-State-Michigan-Alabama-126388217/

Texas played in the 4th most watched regular season or conference champ game in the nation (Big 12 championship game). They played in the 5th most watched bowl game (behind CFP games and Rose Bowl). A&M drew 8 millions less viewers to rank 10th.

Through the course of the regular season Texas had ratings of:
UGA (sugar bowl) 13.3 Million viewers
Big 12 Champ 10.3
OU - 5.6
WVU 4.4
OK-St 3.5
USC 3.0
TCU 2.9
TTU 2.6
Baylor 1.8
MD 1.3
KU 1.2
K-state 1.0
Not listed for Tulsa or Iowa State (LHN is not neilsen rated)
Total - 50.9 million TV viewers over 12 games (4.25 million per game)
If you assume 1 million for both LHN games it is still 3.77 million per game.

Texas A&M TV ratings:
Bama 5.6 Million viewers
NC St (gator bowl) 5.1
Clemson 4.5
Aub 2.6
Kentucky 2.5
Miss St 2.2
Miss 2.1
Arkansas 1.6
UAB 0.7
Not Listed for NW State, LA Monroe, South Carolina or LSU (not on neilsen rated channels)
Total - 26.9 million TV viewers over 9 games (3 million per game)
The LSU game probably helps this average with the 7OTs, but the other 3 games probably drop it significantly. If you assume 5 million for LSU, 2 million for SC and 1 million for NW state and LA-Monroe you get 2.76 per game.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

We aren't even "back" yet and are still outpacing aggy in viewership by 1 million a game with only 2 thousand less butts in seats."

@KYLEUMLANG - I saw you getting into it with an aggy on twitter about viewership. I looked up the numbers earlier in the spring after getting tired of that narrative.

"Texas ranked 7th overall in home game attendance at 97.7k per game, filling 97.5% of our stadium capacity. A&M ranked 6th with 99.8K, filling 97.1% of their stadium.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...s-2018-Ohio-State-Michigan-Alabama-126388217/

Texas played in the 4th most watched regular season or conference champ game in the nation (Big 12 championship game). They played in the 5th most watched bowl game (behind CFP games and Rose Bowl). A&M drew 8 millions less viewers to rank 10th.

Through the course of the regular season Texas had ratings of:
UGA (sugar bowl) 13.3 Million viewers
Big 12 Champ 10.3
OU - 5.6
WVU 4.4
OK-St 3.5
USC 3.0
TCU 2.9
TTU 2.6
Baylor 1.8
MD 1.3
KU 1.2
K-state 1.0
Not listed for Tulsa or Iowa State (LHN is not neilsen rated)
Total - 50.9 million TV viewers over 12 games (4.25 million per game)
If you assume 1 million for both LHN games it is still 3.77 million per game.

Texas A&M TV ratings:
Bama 5.6 Million viewers
NC St (gator bowl) 5.1
Clemson 4.5
Aub 2.6
Kentucky 2.5
Miss St 2.2
Miss 2.1
Arkansas 1.6
UAB 0.7
Not Listed for NW State, LA Monroe, South Carolina or LSU (not on neilsen rated channels)
Total - 26.9 million TV viewers over 9 games (3 million per game)
The LSU game probably helps this average with the 7OTs, but the other 3 games probably drop it significantly. If you assume 5 million for LSU, 2 million for SC and 1 million for NW state and LA-Monroe you get 2.76 per game.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

We aren't even "back" yet and are still outpacing aggy in viewership by 1 million a game with only 2 thousand less butts in seats."
Yep that’s what I was trying to tell him. He said i was lying lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT