ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take for UT to start a wrestling program

What on earth are you talking about??

Who said kill men's minor sports???

Have you seen how many different sports, both men and women that schools like Stanford have?

I am pretty sure UT can afford bringing on a sport that covers both men AND women's equally.
You need to look at the men's sports that have been dropped. Then at the empty venues when the women play. Stanford's budget is a bit higher than the median school. I had daughters that could have gotten tennis scholarships, but not at UT. Men's tennis scholarships are much scarcer. So male tennis players are systematically discriminated against. By Title IX and Hillary.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Speed, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Hook'em!

So you are saying that my numbers are wrong
Speed, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Hook'em!
What a BS intellectually dishonest cop out.

Your first contention was that Title IX has increased opportunities for women it has decreased them for men. That statement is false. There are 256K Men participating in college sports and about 190K women and there are almost 1000 more men's teams now. So men are adding numbers and teams.

Your other contention is that women's sports don't generate money and are siphoning money away from Men's sports. Yet the men's sports you listed (cross country, track, wresting, gymnastics and to a lesser extent baseball) all lose money.

So I guess by your logic even though men represent 44% of the undergraduate population they are losing opportunities to participate by significantly increasing the number of teams and the number of players who are participating in college sports. It also appears that its ok for non revenue men's sports to pull money away from football and basketball but it's not ok for women's sports to do the same thing.

Look if you want to blame something for cutting men's sports look at football and basketball. In bigtime division 1 programs they account for over 70% of the overall athletic budget. In lower divisions its about 45%. At places like Texas that's ok because those programs pay for everything. But save for 20-25 programs football and basketball are losing as much or more money than the other other sports. So 70% of the budget of most division 1 athletic departments is going to two teams that lose money. Its time to stop blaming women by perpetuating myths about title IX.

Speed, my point is that we disagree on Title IX. I feel the way I do about it, and you feel the way you do about it. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change your mind. It's ok to have differing opinions on something. You don't always "have to be right" and be condescending towards someone who doesn't share the same opinion that you do.

Reactions: diadevic
ric-flair-woo_zpsz1w2zlvo.jpg

Hook'em

Speed, my point is that we disagree on Title IX. I feel the way I do about it, and you feel the way you do about it. You're not going to change my mind, and I'm not going to change your mind. It's ok to have differing opinions on something. You don't always "have to be right" and be condescending towards someone who doesn't share the same opinion that you do.

Spreading untrue facts about Title IX isn't and blaming women about the "loss of men's sports" isn't a different opinion. Its being intellectually dishonest. There are simple facts that all you have to do is count then number of athletes and teams in 72 and in 2017. There are more men participating in college sports and there are more men's teams than before Title IX. t If you don't like the fact that women have been given the opportunity to participate in sports then just come out and say it. But don't use easily disprovable false hoods to bolster your claim that IX somehow hurts men. Just come out and say "I don't think women should have the same opportunities as men"

Speed, let it go, man. There is nothing "dishonest" about me, or my comments. Even though I disagree with your position on Title IX, I'm not making it a personal attack on your integrity, as you are on mine.

No it is dishonest. You aren't looking at the facts and you are spreading disproved myths which basically turn into women bashing.

If you want to talk real numbers and be nuanced in your approach then your only real claim is men's gymnastics and wrestling have been hurt by title IX. Men's gymnastics had 107 teams in the the late 70's its down to 17. Wrestling went from 280-243. All other men's sports have actually added programs and athletes.

Well genius, you do understand MOST sports PERIOD do not generate much if at all money with the exception of.....football.

How much money do you think our mens baseball team brings in?
How about basketball or even golf or track?

Again...UT can afford to add sports.

It's backward ass thinking that keeps us from keeping for the Director's cup year end and year out.

Agree. If profits are the goal of college athletics then we should field a football team and whatever corresponding women's sports to comply with title IX and that's it. Outside of one sport football and to a lesser extent basketball there is no interest in any male or female collegiate sport. Therefore none of them should exist if profits are the goal.

As far as I can tell Title IX essentially replaced male sports that nobody cared about with female sports that no one cares about.

Last edited:
Agree. If profits are the goal of college athletics then we should field a football team and whatever corresponding women's sports to comply with title IX and that's it. Outside of one sport football and to a lesser extent basketball there is no interest in any male or female collegiate sport. Therefore none of them should exist if profits are the goal.

As far as I can tell Title IX essentially replaced male sports that nobody cared about with female sports that no one cares about.
The difference is that the male players actually wanted to play. Plenty of female scholarship athletes just want the money.

The difference is that the male players actually wanted to play. Plenty of female scholarship athletes just want the money.

What money? Scholarship money? Regardless, that's a stupid argument that I'll counter with girls actually want to play boys only want the money.

You need to look at the men's sports that have been dropped. Then at the empty venues when the women play. Stanford's budget is a bit higher than the median school. I had daughters that could have gotten tennis scholarships, but not at UT. Men's tennis scholarships are much scarcer. So male tennis players are systematically discriminated against. By Title IX and Hillary.

What male sports have been dropped that weren't also playing in empty venues? You guys seem to think that male sports that no one watches are more important than female sports that no one watches. Why?

What money? Scholarship money? Regardless, that's a stupid argument that I'll counter with girls actually want to play boys only want the money.
Have you ever actually watched boys and girls play? Again, I raised 3 girls who played at the top level of high school tennis. Tennis and golf are the ONLY women's sports that actually make money. Tennis in high school is a coed sport. It was amazing how much more the boys played. Yet tennis scholarships are available for girls but not boys. The Brown policy, which I consider equitable, was to help ALL students participate. Hillary brought us numerical equality. I don't know how many times I heard girl's parents praise their chance of a scholarship. The boys parents stay quiet, but they do know the score.

So that's why the women's rowing coaches troll the cafeterias looking for big girls that will row for money?

Settle down there, Sparky. Yes, I do understand that most sports, other than football, and sometimes basketball, aren't revenue generating. The amount of revenue from sport to sport varies from school to school.
So quit acting like you speak for "most" people.

Your opinion is your opinion, until you try and make it my opinion.

Go watch the girls softball team play....they usually have pretty filled stands.

Why people feel the need to think that no one watches women's sports is beyond me.

There ALWAYS needs to be some sort of balance.......we need MORE sports to be honest.

Why can other schools do it but we don't?

Do you know how many BIG 12 teams have wrestling while we do not?

It's a shame because Texas has grown tremendously in the sport, it's an original OLYMPIC sport...the oldest sport in history.

Last edited:
Have you ever actually watched boys and girls play? Again, I raised 3 girls who played at the top level of high school tennis. Tennis and golf are the ONLY women's sports that actually make money. Tennis in high school is a coed sport. It was amazing how much more the boys played. Yet tennis scholarships are available for girls but not boys. The Brown policy, which I consider equitable, was to help ALL students participate. Hillary brought us numerical equality. I don't know how many times I heard girl's parents praise their chance of a scholarship. The boys parents stay quiet, but they do know the score.
I played college baseball, coached 18 young women (including my daughter) in softball including one of UT's ace pitchers a few years back.
I used to give hitting lessons to a few college baseball players.

I can and DO say this all the time, females play the game of softball much harder than guys do, and that is coming from almost 18 years of experience.

Those that think females just want the money and not the competitiveness of sports haven't a clue what they are talking about.

In fact, a study that was conducted showed that a female college softball player when she finishes her career has the wear and tear of a 40 year old woman.

It irks me when I hear people saying incredibly stupid things like girls don't play as hard as boys....and I wasn't talking about you 1972.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
I played college baseball, coached 18 young women (including my daughter) in softball including one of UT's ace pitchers a few years back.
I used to give hitting lessons to a few college baseball players.

I can and DO say this all the time, females play the game of softball much harder than guys do, and that is coming from almost 18 years of experience.

Those that think females just want the money and not the competitiveness of sports haven't a clue what they are talking about.

In fact, a study that was conducted showed that a female college softball player when she finishes her career has the wear and tear of a 40 year old woman.

It irks me when I hear people saying incredibly stupid things like girls don't play as hard as boys....and I wasn't talking about you 1972.
Girls do compete differently. It's much more personal. When my girls were in high school, we took in two european exchange students. The boys spent hours playing the rest of the neighborhood boys, and desperately wanted to win. But when the game was over, they went back to being friends. My experience with my girls and their friends was that it wasn't over just because it was over.

So your assessment of female collegiate sports is coaches scrambling to find girls in the cafeteria to make a team?

So your assessment of female collegiate sports is coaches scrambling to find girls in the cafeteria to make a team?
It happens. I would actually like to free universities from federal money. Whether it's art or science, I believe in the free market. The Manhattan project was necessary to counter Japan and Germany during WWII, but I don't think government funding of research and education is as efficient as private funding. This would make Title IX irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT