ADVERTISEMENT

Where did our economy thread go

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
I'm seeing a crap ton of puts on oil today. The saudi's have backstopped this and it looks like we won't have a recession.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
n5ifj4.jpg

Reactions: Belldozer1
I'm seeing a crap ton of puts on oil today. The saudi's have backstopped this and it looks like we won't have a recession.
How many constitute a crap ton i.e. how many puts are sold that it starts hitting your radar?

How many constitute a crap ton i.e. how many puts are sold that it starts hitting your radar?
I can't put names out in public like that. Family offices (big ones). And a big institutional office. Really big. Like, huge.

I can't put names out in public like that. Family offices (big ones). And a big institutional office. Really big. Like, huge.
Oh - I misunderstood - I thought you meant volume, not players. Thanks.

Okay, are we still good with this? Thinking about doing some things.

I know OB probably isn't the best place for financial advice, and am doing it anyway...but curious of the mood of those in the know.

Okay, are we still good with this? Thinking about doing some things.

I know OB probably isn't the best place for financial advice, and am doing it anyway...but curious of the mood of those in the know.
Fuel prices help to drive the economy. It's speculators that rove the price down as far as it went. I'm seeing a slow creep back up in oil prices but not to the point of restricting commerce.

What about the shutdown? If it goes on for much longer, can't that cause a recession just on its own?

What about the shutdown? If it goes on for much longer, can't that cause a recession just on its own?
No. There is such an insignificant amount of workers being effect that in the grand scheme, it would be impossible.

But remember, the media can convince anyone that the economy is in the tank-- but the indicators are not.

What does Insider trading mean?
Google Paul Thayer. He was chairman of LTV. Had a mistress he was keeping in the Oak Lawn area. Paid her bills by giving tips to a stock broker (Billy Bob Harris?), who placed trades for her based on info he got from being on the boards of other companies. Got caught when billy bob spread the word to his other clients.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Google Paul Thayer. He was chairman of LTV. Had a mistress he was keeping in the Oak Lawn area. Paid her bills by giving tips to a stock broker (Billy Bob Harris?), who placed trades for her based on info he got from being on the boards of other companies. Got caught when billy bob spread the word to his other clients.
There is a great book called "Den of Thieves" about 1980's insider trading - Michael Milken, Ivan "Greed is Good" Boesky, Dennis Levine and so forth. It is a great read if you like this kind of stuff. Complete with exchanging brief cases with cash at the Plaza Hotel as payment for inside information to offshore bank accounts in the Bahamas to hide behind bank secrecy laws. This one exploded because when one guy got caught, the finger pointing started, and the house of cards fell.. Makes you wonder how much of this goes on where people don't get caught. Has to be less than 1%.

Last edited:
There is a great book called "Den of Thieves" about 1980's insider trading - Michael Milken, Ivan "Greed is Good" Boesky, Dennis Levine and so forth. It is a great read if you like this kind of stuff. Complete with exchanging brief cases with cash at the Plaza Hotel for payments for inside information to offshore bank accounts in the Bahamas to hide behind bank secrecy laws. This one exploded because when one guy got caught, the finger pointing started, and the house of cards fell.. Makes you wonder how much of this goes on where people don't get caught. Has to be less than 1%.

Clears throat, the entire US legislature is privy to all pertinent economic info before it's release. They are allowed to trade on it legally. Nice work if you can get it. Talk about a den of thieves.

Clears throat, the entire US legislature is privy to all pertinent economic info before it's release. They are allowed to trade on it legally. Nice work if you can get it. Talk about a den of thieves.
And if anybody expects me to believe that members of the senate intelligence committee aren't thumbing through emails from google, exxon, and every other company out there that's making moves-- then you're an idiot.

The NRO and NSA monitor everything at all times. Anything and everything is being documented.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT