ADVERTISEMENT

Who does BU hire

jsto60

Sep 3, 2005
Looks like DC Bennett is the interim coach. And keeping Briles son on offense. But I think all those guys need to go. They were all in on it. You can't just have a 'fall guy' when the staff was complicit in the bungling of this whole rape story....FOR YEARS.

So some top names have been bantered about are Larry Fedora, Mack Brown, and some other odd ones. I don't think they get an old retread name coach. And I don't think an established guy is gonna bail.

So here were some names that to me are intriguing and could be really good hires. In Waco you gotta have a quirky offense, sort like Tech to be good. You aren't going to become USC overnight in Waco. So with that in mind:

The obvious Tom Hermann. Don't see him leaving UH just yet.
Chad Morris from SMU. Would be a homerun. A Texas HS legend. Essentially a younger version of Briles.
Jeff Brohm at HC and offensive guru lead WKU to the nation in passing offense last year, not BU.
Lincoln Riley from OU OC.
Mike Singletary. Does he jump back in coaching waters at his alma matter? He certainly would be the face of discipline and would clean up the mess.
One of the TCU OCs Meachem or Cumbie?

And of those to me would be great hires.

Baylor might have a damned hard time getting anyone to return their phone calls, much less interview for the coaches job. They have a big mess on their hands right now...from decommits to demands for LOI releases, to transfers, and that without sanctions which could be coming and really cause trouble.

Start at Urban Meyer and work backwards. Of course, that may be a LOT of work backwards.

the-program-epps-456fp091010.jpg

407823-635165b6-77ff-11e3-ad16-5b01da53a32e.jpg

coach-tv-show-craig-nelson.jpg

The-Waterboy-images-b2e5a13b-8678-46b7-b6e0-cb01718bdfd.jpg

Coach-Molly-McGrath.jpeg

Reactions: westx
I think Brent Venables at Clemson would be an interesting choice. He was at Oklahoma for a long time so he would already have connections with the hs coaches in Texas.

He's at a school that runs a spread offense, in fact they had the second best spread offense in the country after Baylor. If he can bring a couple of the offensive assistants with him it could be interesting.

He's been at Clemson 4 years. Two years ago they led the country in total defense and had an outstanding defense last year don't you think he had something to do with that?

Clemson is now with the big boys. And they may have lost last year but make no mistake about it, Dabo is going to win a nc before he's through. He's obviously made a contribution towards that.

You wouldn't believe Clemson's recruiting the last few years I mean they're recruiting at a Bama or tOSU level and that's not an exaggeration. I'm sure he's made a contribution towards that as well.

When RG III had that Heisman winning game against Oklahoma Bob Stoops blamed it on Venables and fired him he went on to Clemson. I'd say it worked or pretty well for him. Matter of fact in the last two years they beat Oklahoma by a combined score of 77-23. You think he didn't enjoy sticking it to the man who fired him? Also Baylor/Oklahoma has become a nasty rivalry. I'm talking about personal fouls, hitting out of bounds, body slams etc... That game last year was the nastiest game I'd seen in a long time. There was a reason for that. Oklahoma is arrogant about Baylor until a few years ago they had never beaten Oklahoma and then they humiliated them by a combined score of 89-26. Now if you throw in Brent Venables into that mix and his feelings about Oklahoma.... consider the possibilities

He would seem to be a good choice but then again he might not want the job.

Last edited:
The more that comes out, the more I think they get sanctions from NCAA......which will scare some of their top candidates away.

Reactions: Cotton #12
As to who would want the job the sanctions might not be as severe as one would think.

Death penalty? Remember the 30 for 30 about SMU? Looking back the NCAA realizes that the punishment was to severe and they won't do it again.

Scholarship reductions? Certainly
Sanctions? Certainly
No bowls? Yeah, but no more than one year I think the NCAA realizes that doesn't really have an effect.
The kind of fire sale they had at Penn State? Well two years ago the NCAA realized that the punishment was too severe. It was supposed to be for four years but they stopped after 2.
That will be the key for Baylor. If they can avoid that kind of fire sale where kids will want to transfer they might survive. Here's the difference between the Baylor and SC story. The talent at SC was already dwindling at Baylor they've never had as much talent as they currently have. And Lane was not a good coach.

As long as it's not that a good coach might want to come.

They need to get somebody who started out at a 2A HS in West Texas and see how it works out for them. Oh, wait....

They need to get somebody who started out at a 2A HS in West Texas and see how it works out for them. Oh, wait....

From a football standpoint, Briles (much like Gus Malzahn) being able to make the transition from high school coach to top 5 team is amazing. However, Briles accomplishments are certainly tainted as it appears there was "win at all costs" motivation.

Scholz. You fvcking Crack me up with!

The only other pic I'd have posted was the cajun coach from waterboy.

Reactions: Scholz
Shat balls, this thread is Flippin hilarious. Poor ole Baylor.

Seriously though, BU ought get that feller at Washington St. Ferget his name but he's a purty good coach! Gave us fits back n the day.

Shat balls, this thread is Flippin hilarious. Poor ole Baylor.

Seriously though, BU ought get that feller at Washington St. Ferget his name but he's a purty good coach! Gave us fits back n the day.

Mike Leach is and has always been a mediocre coach.

It's a hs offense, always has been.
He cares even less about defense than Art Briles did.
He's a con man, a shameless grandstander. This man who was always available for an interview no matter where he was would not allow his players except in the locker room. Dyk that about him? To me that says a lot
All those receivers he had, only three made it to the NFL, and only Michael Crabtree made AA. Mediocre recruiter.

Never understood the Mike Leach love.

Baylor needs their next coach to be crystal clean. They're going to be hypersensitive about that.

Briles was pushing the envelope of what's acceptable, and not just on recruiting bad apples or silencing the victims of their assaults. The NCAA enforcement staff assigned to the Big 12 spent almost all their time in Waco, reportedly. Briles and his athletes kept them busy.

So, you had Baylor, a program with no history of success, at a mediocre university desperate for attention, in a red-neck I-35 pitstop. And suddenly they start winning with the capability of putting triple figures on some teams.

Ring any bells? Any other desperate programs suddenly doing well? :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT