ADVERTISEMENT

Who shot Whitman?

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Somebody not telling the truth

Who was the REAL hero of America's first mass shooting? Daughter says her father killed UT Austin tower sniper NOT the man who has claimed the glory for 50 years
  • Charles Whitman shot dead 14 people and wounded 13 at UT Austin Texas campus in 1966
  • Former Texas police sergeant Ramiro Martinez has claimed the glory for taking out Whitman while in the midst of the killing spree
  • But an account by former police officer Houston McCoy says he in fact fired the fatal bullet, and all shots fired by Martinez were redundant
  • Martinez himself admits: 'I'm not going to stand here and say I fired the fatal shot'
  • But he has been honored with his own celebration day while McCoy's role has faded into oblivion
  • McCoy died of lung cancer just a month after his account was published
  • Daughter Monika is determined that her father is given the distinction he deserves
By Alexandra Genova For Dailymail.com

Published: 19:35 EST, 22 May 2016 | Updated: 19:55 EST, 22 May 2016
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-NOT-man-claimed-glory-50-years.html#comments
The daughter of a police officer who shot dead the University of Texas mass killer in 1966 is claiming her father is the tragedy's unsung hero.

For 50 years, former Texas police sergeant Ramiro Martinez has been celebrated by the state as the man who prevented even more people from being slain in the country's first mass shooting.

But Monika McCoy, the daughter of former Texas officer Houston McCoy says it was her father who in fact fired the fatal bullet and all shots fired after by Martinez were essentially redundant.

347EF95700000578-3603939-image-m-20_1463962436781.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

Copy link to paste in your message

+7
347F0F2F00000578-3603939-image-m-19_1463962429669.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+7

Monika McCoy, (left) the daughter of former Texas officer Houston McCoy (right) says it was her father who in fact fired the fatal bullet at shooter Charles Whitman

34827F8500000578-3603939-image-a-15_1463962398614.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

On that fateful day in August 1966, architecture and engineering student Charles Whitman shot dead 14 people and wounded 13. Pictured: A bloody victim is rushed into an ambulance

347F0F2B00000578-3603939-image-a-21_1463962458187.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+7
But the 96 minute spree would have ended in even more fatalities had it not been for the presence of McCoy (center right) and Martinez (center left)

On that fateful day in August 1966, architecture and engineering student Charles Whitman shot dead 14 people and wounded 13 after he had climbed to the UT tower observation deck with a dolly full of guns and ammunition.

Whitman had began his rampage the previous day when he killed his mother and wife.

But the 96 minute spree would have ended in even more fatalities had it not been for the presence of McCoy and Martinez.

Both officers had made their way to the tower, Matinez through the front door, McCoy through the maintenance tunnel.

As they rounded the corner and closed in on Whitman, both fired their weapons, but it was Martinez who emerged first shouting: 'I got him'.

The then 29-year-old was praised by his Police Chief as the 'hero of the day', while Martinez told the press: 'I had a job to do and that's what I was going out there to do.'

McCoy's sergeant at the time even him if he would like to set up an interview with the press since they appeared to be 'reporting the event inaccurately'.

But McCoy declined and said that the only people he cared to talk to about it were his friends and family.

According to his online account, he was never asked by any media for an interview until 1974.

But that was just the beginning, in 2006, the city of Austin designated August 1 Ramiro Martinez Day and in the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame & Museum in Waco, a display case features his revolver.

Meanwhile, McCoy's role faded into the oblivion.

But speaking to the LA Times, Monika McCoy said she is dedicated to 'setting the record straight' about her father's role in the carnage.

34824D8D00000578-3603939-image-a-28_1463962551488.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+7
Charles Whitman (right) had began his rampage the previous day when he killed his mother and wife (left)

34824D7800000578-3603939-image-m-25_1463962490643.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+7
34824D6800000578-3603939-image-a-26_1463962505389.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+7

Martinez, then 29, (left and right) was praised by his Police Chief as the 'hero of the day', while Martinez told the press: 'I had a job to do and that's what I was going out there to do

She added that the hero-status Martinez achieved would not have bothered her, had her father and others had been honored in the same way.

McCoy was helped by his daughter to research the shooting and posted an account online of his version of events.

It took them five years and was published just a month before McCoy died of lung cancer aged 72.

The account reads: 'As the first shot would prove to be instantly fatal, I saw him alive for only a split second before he was dead and of no more danger.'

It continues: 'Martinez jerked the shotgun from my hands, and while yelling, ran to the motionless body and fired point blank.'

Now a Texas police officer herself, she is carrying on her father's legacy in more ways than one.

But it seems that even Martinez agrees that the truth is more complicated than what has been touted.

Speaking to the LA Times, Martinez says: 'Now, I'm not going to stand here and say I fired the fatal shot.

'I don't care who fired the fatal projectiles. I just care that the job was done.'

While his wife says: 'It doesn't matter which bullets killed him. Why make such a big deal about it?'

But for Monika McCoy, her father has not received the distinction she believes he deserves.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3603939/Who-REAL-hero-America-s-mass-shooting-Daughter-says-father-killed-UT-Austin-tower-sniper-NOT-man-claimed-glory-50-years.html#ixzz49RV5Iiys
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This: 'While his wife says: 'It doesn't matter which bullets killed him. Why make such a big deal about it?'

Just happy that someone put an end to it, if it had to be that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT