ADVERTISEMENT

Winning The Big 12

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
After Texas beats Notre Dame, they will win the Big 12...Why?, because there is not another Team in Big 12 that could beat Notre Dame......and keep up with them except Texas...of course beating them puts Texas in another higher tier if ND is as good as they say and that leaves the other Big 12 having to catch up to Texas level of Football..

Hook'em

One thing is for sure, you certainly should be elevated by one spot by stepping over Baylor's corpse. But seriously, you don't think OU could beat or even "keep up" with Notre Dame? Or TCU perhaps?

One thing is for sure, you certainly should be elevated by one spot by stepping over Baylor's corpse. But seriously, you don't think OU could beat or even "keep up" with Notre Dame? Or TCU perhaps?

Everybodys saying Houston could beat OU, so if that's true then they damn sure couldn't beat Notre Dame and TCU not as good as they were last yr, people put too much stock into TCU, they due for a big let-down real soon

Hook'em

After Texas beats Notre Dame, they will win the Big 12...Why?, because there is not another Team in Big 12 that could beat Notre Dame......and keep up with them except Texas...of course beating them puts Texas in another higher tier if ND is as good as they say and that leaves the other Big 12 having to catch up to Texas level of Football..

Hook'em
I would love to see Texas beat ND and to be back on top of the Big 12, but I currently think your horse is lined up ready for a cart that doesn't even have axles yet. I'm all for pumping sunshine but this is Alaska when there is no night level of sunshine.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I would love to see Texas beat ND and to be back on top of the Big 12, but I currently think your horse is lined up ready for a cart that doesn't even have axles yet. I'm all for pumping sunshine but this is Alaska when there is no night level of sunshine.

Yeah, I appreciate the enthusiasm, FBH, but you probably ought to tap the brakes a bit. This team has almost no upperclassmen of note.

This sort of post will be more appropriate to 2017.

Everybodys saying Houston could beat OU, so if that's true then they damn sure couldn't beat Notre Dame and TCU not as good as they were last yr, people put too much stock into TCU, they due for a big let-down real soon

Hook'em
I forgot about Ok. St. as well. They are ranked #14 in the latest ESPN pre-pre season poll. And just because people say Houston could beat OU doesn't make it so. Now as for Ohio St, I think they are going to curb stomp Mobilehoma.

I forgot about Ok. St. as well. They are ranked #14 in the latest ESPN pre-pre season poll. And just because people say Houston could beat OU doesn't make it so. Now as for Ohio St, I think they are going to curb stomp Mobilehoma.

Really? After sending an all-time record number of players to the NFL in the first four rounds of the draft? Not seeing that at all.

That's what I like about half-assed Longhorn fans, no faith, no belief no heart!

Hook'em

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboCocks21
Yeah, I appreciate the enthusiasm, FBH, but you probably ought to tap the brakes a bit. This team has almost no upperclassmen of note.

This sort of post will be more appropriate to 2017.

Are ya gonna tell me to tap the brakes after they do it or when BBR? How many other teams had no upperclassmen and did it? I think some underclassmen are better then the upper..so that don't hold water..

Hook'em

Flourbuffhorn- youre crazy if you think ohio state will curb stop OU. Last year, okay i wouldnt blame you for having that opinion. But they return like 6 of 22 starters. They will not be the same team, especially on defense. Nobody knows how good they'll be but we'll find out quick. OU returns 14 of 22 starters so there's much more continuity. And also, who cares what people think bout Houston beating OU having any relevance whatsoever to ND.

ou definitely has the chance to get to #1 if you can beat UH as well as tOSU early.

Absolutely, and by virtue of what I feel is the best OOC schedule in the country, they're in very good position to absorb a loss and make the playoff.

Absolutely, and by virtue of what I feel is the best OOC schedule in the country, they're in very good position to absorb a loss and make the playoff.
No. We don't have a CCG. Can't possibly happen.

Flourbuffhorn- youre crazy if you think ohio state will curb stop OU. Last year, okay i wouldnt blame you for having that opinion. But they return like 6 of 22 starters. They will not be the same team, especially on defense. Nobody knows how good they'll be but we'll find out quick. OU returns 14 of 22 starters so there's much more continuity. And also, who cares what people think bout Houston beating OU having any relevance whatsoever to ND.
Don't blame FBH for having that opinion that was me. May have been premature on my part. I was thinking the game was in Columbus. Ohio St. is about at Bama level with regard to returning starters. Not sure how much it will mean. They have so much in reserves. Michigan is getting all the Big 10 hype but I wont be shocked at all if TOSU wins 11+, the Big 10 title and is back in the CFP. Actually, I will revise, flip flop etc and say it will be a good game when they play OU.
And kudos to OU for playing 2 top 15 caliber OOC opponents. You don't see that very much anymore.

I picked Texas over ND by 2 scores in another thread. I think we are going to shock a lot of ppl this year. I have a feeling SB is going to be a Colt 2.0 if not better.

Two scores? Interesting. College football is won in the trenches. To win by two scores that means you think Texas is dominant over ND in the lines?

No. We don't have a CCG. Can't possibly happen.

You can make it without one, you just need a lil help is all. Ou helped themselves with a very strong OOC slate. I'd think they'll need a combination of ND with more losses, and at least one other 11 win P5 champ. Provided OU doesnt go undefeated of course!

Don't blame FBH for having that opinion that was me. May have been premature on my part. I was thinking the game was in Columbus. Ohio St. is about at Bama level with regard to returning starters. Not sure how much it will mean. They have so much in reserves. Michigan is getting all the Big 10 hype but I wont be shocked at all if TOSU wins 11+, the Big 10 title and is back in the CFP. Actually, I will revise, flip flop etc and say it will be a good game when they play OU.
And kudos to OU for playing 2 top 15 caliber OOC opponents. You don't see that very much anymore.

No doubt about it they'll be very tough to beat, great qb and a brilliant HC but theyre not this upper classmen laden team with lots and lots of experience like they were last year. They recruit great and will be very solid, I just think those young guys will need seasoning before ohio state turns into a playoff juggernaut for '16. OR, they'll prove me wrong and be incredible but too many other teams return more talent/experience. I am so pumped for this game , you rarely if ever see two blue bloods, (mostly) at the top of their game and in the thick of the playoff hunt play in the OOC sched. We have Bama and USC too, which is about 95% as good. If tx wasnt in stink mode the past 5 years, ND tx would have been 10x bigger than it already will be. I love it.

We got lucky (if you want to say that) with Houston, I just hope that if/when OU wins, Houston has another solid season.

You can make it without one, you just need a lil help is all. Ou helped themselves with a very strong OOC slate. I'd think they'll need a combination of ND with more losses, and at least one other 11 win P5 champ. Provided OU doesnt go undefeated of course!
Fine but if you get in for the 2nd year in a row with a loss on your schedule and without a 13th game, just do me the courtesy of admitting you were wrong about the Big XII being so disadvantaged then.

Last edited:
Don't get him started

Lol. I am just a firm believer football games at all levels are won at the line of scrimmage.
I also believe that is ND's strength on both sides of the ball. I'm obviously biased. But I'm not alone. Every publication & scout I've read so far says that is where ND has a distinct advantage.

Lol. I am just a firm believer football games at all levels are won at the line of scrimmage.
I also believe that is ND's strength on both sides of the ball. I'm obviously biased. But I'm not alone. Every publication & scout I've read so far says that is where ND has a distinct advantage.

Magazines and scout reports are like polls, its only as good as the person who made it and the maker of the poll can influence the outcome to the public, I believe that the team that wants it more than the other wins, lot of teams have very little talent but have a bunch of Heart and that what makes the difference/ advantage can be gone in seconds if something occurs to make it weaken, in ND case, The Texas Longhorns have quite a bit more speed than ND, plus revenge from last yr and the gaining of more talent since then, I will say a prayer that we don't kick the heathens from South Bend ass too bad

Hook'em

I have said it before on here and I will say again that the Texas Longhorns will be in the playoffs and if something terrible happens to Deshawn Watson a nc is within reach. I guess I should clarify what I mean by something terrible. Not an acl or something like that heavens no I'm not an aggie. You know something like being summoned for jury duty the week of the title game or being arrested and having to appear in court for unpaid traffic tickets the day of the game.

And we will have two 1000 yard rushers. We will discover that for the first time since Colt we will have a qb that can throw a fb more than 20+ with accuracy. And we will have a receiver, John Burt, who can actually catch a fb. By the second quarter of the ND game we will discover that our true freshman center will be an upgrade over last years center. Kent Perkins and Connor Williams will be AA's.

On defense Malik Jefferson will be the first sophomore and the first player to win the Lombardi and Butkus award in the same year. And even with Dylan Haines in the starting lineup we will lead the country in interceptions.

We will destroy that hated crimson crew in Dallas on October 8th.

Big XII title? Heck I'm talking about hosting the trophy in Tampa on January 9th.

Now get back to me in August and I'll tell you what I really think.

Magazines and scout reports are like polls, its only as good as the person who made it and the maker of the poll can influence the outcome to the public, I believe that the team that wants it more than the other wins, lot of teams have very little talent but have a bunch of Heart and that what makes the difference/ advantage can be gone in seconds if something occurs to make it weaken, in ND case, The Texas Longhorns have quite a bit more speed than ND, plus revenge from last yr and the gaining of more talent since then, I will say a prayer that we don't kick the heathens from South Bend ass too bad

Hook'em

Quite a bit more speed? I honestly don't know if you are talking certain players or as a team or what? I do know ND has three players who made the NCAA's in track & Kelly has recruited a lot of speed. But I don't know if you are referring to sprint speed or what? I'm lost?

As for scouts/publications, certain ones are pretty accurate. Phil Steele & PFT are both very accurate when analyzing players for college & the draft. So I refer to them a lot.

Also, I just read that John Harbaugh at Baltimore (& Jim Harbaugh when at SF) both were quoted saying that the Oline coach at ND was the best in the business at developing players & NFL coaches really trusted his lineman, hence so many ND lineman getting drafted the past three years since he got there. John drafted Stanley & said he has his eye on two current ND lineman (I would guess McGlinchey & Nelson). So that has to be somewhat a good sign from a neutral party?

I guess we will find out? Fun, isn't it?

P.S. How is your grandson doing?

Fine but if you get in for the 2nd year in a row with a loss on your schedule and without a 13th game, just do me the courtesy of admitting you were wrong about the Big XII being so disadvantaged then.

I would still feel like they are disadvantaged. If they didnt have such a strong OOC, its back to square one. I think also ND is an X factor here and them being a 1 loss team may very well nudge them in over a 11 win Big 12 team and I feel like they would have last year if they didnt lose to Stanford. We shall see how it shakes out! I may have to concede the disadvantage the big 12 has here isnt as pronounced as I thought it was initially- but, again, it seems like they need something special like a great OOC schedule and/or help from the likes of ND to get in over any other 12 win P5 champ. And that right there is the disadvantage I speak of.

I did some reading on expansion. So they think a CCG is worth 30 mil and change, a trip to the playoffs is worth about 60 million and change. So if all goes well, it looks like close to $100 million boon to the Big 12, which is close to $10mil per school. I would say from a financial perspective, the risk is worth the reward. if you talk about risk and chances, well the chances of the underdog winning the CCG is relatively small, and worth the reward of ~100 million. Besides, if you cant win your CCG you probably aren't playoff material.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT