ADVERTISEMENT

Your up coming game with the Irish

sooner_mike

May 6, 2004
Hopefully Texas can keep it competitive. Then the Irish might consider joining the Big 12-2.

Hope Texas plays them hard.

They will definitely not back down and ND better be ready for a dogfight. These kids are scrappy, but it's the youthful mental errors I'm worried about, along with Swoopes. Still, I've got a really good feeling about this one. I think we win, but even we lose it will be a loss that opens some eyes that Texas is coming back.

if ND ever joins a conference completely, it would be the ACC. it just makes the most geographical sense.

I've said it before. ND has better depth. I read that there is only 1 player on the defensive side of the ball with less than 8 starts. The offense comes back pretty much intact. They're more experienced, and Texas is starting multiple freshman at some key positions. I expect a good first half while ND adjusts to Texas' new scheme (since ND hasn't really seen it)....although Coach Kelly said in his PC from a day or two ago that they've been practicing against spread and tempo the last week and a half. I think the second half will be where one of the teams will distance themselves, and that would probably be ND based on the aforementioned facts. Either way, I'm expecting a solid showing from Texas, but honestly feel that ND has more firepower and experience overall at this point......has nothing to do with being a ND fan.

Texas, going to a new scheme vs an experienced, fast, and aggressive defense, should not be easy for the 'Horns, although there may be a big play or two given up.....

Regardless, it should be a great game.

You guys have a few days left to pick up a new skirt and some lip gloss. At least try to be pretty during your raping Saturday. ;)

You guys have a few days left to pick up a new skirt and some lip gloss. At least try to be pretty during your raping Saturday. ;)
haha. Maybe that could happen. I'm not the typical "ND will always win" fan.

I try to keep it as realistic as possible. I get your enthusiasm...maybe you're trying to get a "rah-rah" response from me. Good try haha.

Should we get skirts and lip gloss that match your team colors? That way, if we win, we can just give them to you. hehe.

It should be a good game. One of the better ones to start out the year.

if ND ever joins a conference completely, it would be the ACC. it just makes the most geographical sense.

I've said it before. ND has better depth. I read that there is only 1 player on the defensive side of the ball with less than 8 starts. The offense comes back pretty much intact. They're more experienced, and Texas is starting multiple freshman at some key positions. I expect a good first half while ND adjusts to Texas' new scheme (since ND hasn't really seen it)....although Coach Kelly said in his PC from a day or two ago that they've been practicing against spread and tempo the last week and a half. I think the second half will be where one of the teams will distance themselves, and that would probably be ND based on the aforementioned facts. Either way, I'm expecting a solid showing from Texas, but honestly feel that ND has more firepower and experience overall at this point......has nothing to do with being a ND fan.

Texas, going to a new scheme vs an experienced, fast, and aggressive defense, should not be easy for the 'Horns, although there may be a big play or two given up.....

Regardless, it should be a great game.

Yep, the "least experienced" starter would have been Team Captain and 2014 Defensive MVP Joe Schmidt (MLB) who has "only 8 starts"

However, with Jarron Jones (NT) getting injured his replacements are now the least experienced starters on defense

What's really crazy about the depth/experience of the defense is that not only would no body on the 1st string have fewer than 8 starters (at any position) but the 2nd string has have additional 35 starts between 7 players
(If you count "starting NB" Mathias as a starter, which I would, that number does go down significantly though)

There is just a mountain of returning experience and depth across the board on this defense.....but the loss of Jarron Jones for the season REALLY HURTS

Losing Jones hurts for sure, but we have no idea what type of production Tillery and Cage are going to give us either. I'm hoping it's a pleasant surprise.

It's a bad feeling being a Texas fan for over 50 years and going up to ND and my true feeling is we keep it close. I'm like a lot of people and think we can win, but hope we keep it close if we lose.

I really wish we had a game under our belt but you gotta play the schedule. I do think by the end of the year, we will be a team nobody wants to play.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
I still think ND joins the B1G if they ever become a full member.

I don't think the Big10 will ever be seriously considered again

There is WAYYYY too much bad blood there, and ND officials don't want to become a rationalized program in the midwest (intelligently)

I think joining a conference will happen in the next 10 years and I definitely think it will be the ACC that we join
The ACC makes the most sense from cultural, academics, and geographical perspectives

I don't think the Big10 will ever be seriously considered again

There is WAYYYY too much bad blood there, and ND officials don't want to become a rationalized program in the midwest (intelligently)

I think joining a conference will happen in the next 10 years and I definitely think it will be the ACC that we join
The ACC makes the most sense from cultural, academics, and geographical perspectives
Could very well be the case. Geographically the ACC doesn't make any more sense than the B1G. Athletic program's wise, I think the B1G is a better fit as well. Key phrase is "rational decision".

Yeah I'm sorry Decker, but no conference is a better geographical fit than the B1G.

haha. Maybe that could happen. I'm not the typical "ND will always win" fan.
You seem to have confused some of the local okie trash for a Longhorn fan, and he was likely suggesting that we (Longhorns) would need the skirt.

Lets hope both teams leave it all on the field, fight the full four quarters with no injuries, and may the best team win.

Good luck in the game.

Hook 'em

Yeah I'm sorry Decker, but no conference is a better geographical fit than the B1G.

The ACC is, if the goal cater to the nationally located fan base and avoid regionalization

In fact, with those goals (which are ND's expressed goals) the Big10 is in fact the worst geographical fit

There is a reason that ND plays in every part of the country this year (and most years) and they don't want to transform a national schedule like this into one that's 75%-90% midwest

This year ND plays in:
  • Midwest
  • Northeast
  • Mid-Atlantic
  • Northwest
If you just add last year and next year, we also play games in:
  • Southwest
  • Southeast
  • West coast
  • Over-Seas

Could very well be the case. Geographically the ACC doesn't make any more sense than the B1G. Athletic program's wise, I think the B1G is a better fit as well. Key phrase is "rational decision".

The national geographic spread (ACC) is actually better for ND than the localization (Big10)

As far as the athletic programs, the Big10 is probably better at football right now (though it's close) with the ACC being better at basketball (though again, it's close)
I'm not really sure if this has any bearing on the decision at all, as it's always so subject to change

The academic/cultural fit is also undoubtably a better fit in the ACC

I personally think the conferences are going to go away. I think the majority of the P5 conferences will leave the NCAA and form a league of their own. It will look much like the NFL with divisions and everyone within the league will negotiate as one entity. it's a tough pill to swallow for schools like Texas and Notre Dame but I think it will be a positive thing moving forward for all schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT