ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Dang, Chip leaves and you all turn into a bunch of homos.
kisses.r191677.gif

Seriously, Chip you'll be missed on here(no homo). You took a lot of abuse at times and always handled it with well. What's ironic, you'll probably get less abuse now that you're leaving.
This post was edited on 4/23 11:08 AM by mulligan30

Chip spends a night at the Playboy Mansion and decides to leave us!

Good luck Chip and keep up the great reporting.

With Chip leaving, who's going to remind us that David Ash didn't grow up watching television
smile.r191677.gif

Seriously, good luck Chip and look forward to reading your insights on Texas football on your new platform.

Originally posted by atex720:

Originally posted by MustGoFaster:

Originally posted by UTshirtfanSWT:
Ketch...I'd like to throw my hat in the ring to be part of the search committee...even if it's a S. Patterson style committee that is never consulted.
Me too. We can split the $100k
I'll claim the 3rd seat.
Glad to have you!

My top 3 targets as of now: Peter King, Adam Schefter and Jeff Madden
Alright...looks like the search committee is rounding out nicely.

I like that you're thinking outside the box with Jeff Madden...he may not be ready for a journalism post yet but he could cross train with the staff re: investigative reporting while serving as OB's S&C coordinator. With Chip leaving, the crew's fitness level could be tested...I'm not sure how, but it could.

I hereby propose that Mack Brown be contacted to serve as "Interim Chip" while a replacement is being sought after.

Congrats to Chip. It will be hard to replace him. I always felt when he came over, OB went from a place longhorn fans went to for recruiting and stories to an official news source.

Originally posted by jimr6:

this hurts OB severely.
Not if I do my job correctly. I simply need to hire an elite-level contributor. Then we go back to battle. OB broke a lot of stories before Chip arrived... we just doubled them at that point.
wink.r191677.gif

Thanks for everything chip. I've enjoyed your writing/reporting. You will be an asset at your new job and will be missed here greatly.

I understand that it is a conflict of interest but hopefully you create an "undercover" account and drop by from time to time.

Chip
You've been the best thing on this board the last 6 yrs. Not a diss at the other staff. But, even though I've been a recruitnik since before anyone ever heard of the "internet" my enthusiasm has waned over the years (kids these days!), I never grow tired of good solid reporting on the Horns. You've always brought that in spades.
Good luck for the future!

I just let my subscription to Horns Digest lapse last week! I was a member of 4 other pay sites and something had to go.
I may have to re-think.
Hook 'em.

Originally posted by jimr6:

this hurts OB severely.
Chip will be missed, but we're in a position to go out and make a big addition. And after the interest we've received, I'm extremely confident that happens.

chip, it sucks to see you go but we don't get many opportunities in life to truly get those surreal gigs so I'm glad to see you taking that chance. you were a beast with it..unflappable to scrutiny. you'll excel no matter what bro!! good luck!!

Will you have to move from atx?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

that is a bad move chip. I wish you the best but scout/fox sports is a poor product with the exception of their nfl coverage and Sunday morning crew.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Congrats Chip. May the dumpsters on the other side be clean and empty. Assuming that's how you like them.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by UTshirtfanSWT:
Ketch...I'd like to throw my hat in the ring to be part of the search committee...even if it's a S. Patterson style committee that is never consulted.
Me too. We can split the $100k
search committees get more than 100K. just saying...
Not on a site with software limitations of this one.
wink.r191677.gif

Good luck, Chip! Thanks for all your work.

My only advice to Ketch and Co.:

You don't need a big name. Orangebloods is the name. You're respected. Whoever you choose will be given that same level respect. But please hire someone who is not just passionate about football or college football coverage, but the University of Texas. I'm talking about someone (like you or Chip) who is relenteless about UT during their work hours and who still wants to hang out on the board afterwards.

I know you will have no trouble finding a talented writer who is not fully satisfied with their current situation. That's the easy part. And that's practically every newspaper reporter in the country. It may be a little harder to find someone willing to give every inch to the University of Texas and the site. I love my school, but I'm probably more critical of what we do academically, institutionally and athletically as anyone. Good luck guys. Looking forward to the hire.

Ketch bringing in someone with resume as impressive as Chip solidified OBs place atop their peers IMO. Seeing the development of the young staffers like Dustin and Taylor says a lot about the level of talent running our community which included Chip. I have little doubt that Ketch is contemplating something allsome and that Chip will continue his rise in the industry.

Good luck to Chip and Ketch & Co.

Damn. I wish you the best Chip!

Chip, you're one of the main reasons I pay the money for this site. Will def follow you where you go and check that site out. But I'll also see who OB brings in. I feel like we just lost a helluva inside source. :-/ And now we'll have to wait for a new guy to rebuild those relationships. I'm certainly willing to wait and see how that goes though.

Originally posted by sendero95:

Ketch bringing in someone with resume as impressive as Chip solidified OBs place atop their peers IMO. Seeing the development of the young staffers like Dustin and Taylor says a lot about the level of talent running our community which included Chip. I have little doubt that Ketch is contemplating something allsome and that Chip will continue his rise in the industry.

Good luck to Chip and Ketch & Co.
Well said.

We're like the Red Sox - we develop our young prospects and also attract the big free agents.

I love Chip on OB and radio and will miss him, but he's going to be on TV? Congrats, Chip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT