ADVERTISEMENT

Brisket Cooking Method needed. I want Bark!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by caliHORNia:
I can tell you that the Lockhart joints all do this. That's where I first learned it. Luling City Market pit master told me he gets up to 375-400 when he starts out.
You don't "crisp" it, merely sear it. If I'm running short on time, I'll do this, or if I have an especially large brisket.

I can tell you that the Lockhart joints all do this. That's where I first learned it. Luling City Market pit master told me he gets up to 375-400 when he starts out.

Much more convenient for me this way. Not having to wait for the fire to die down.

Have you done the "fork test"?

Originally posted by bcangst:

Much more convenient for me this way. Not having to wait for the fire to die down.

Take a cooking fork and when you feel the brisket is done, stick the fork in right where the cap meets the flat, and if it pulls out easy, the brisket is done.

Originally posted by joeywa:
Originally posted by bcangst:

Take a cooking fork and when you feel the brisket is done, stick the fork in right where the cap meets the flat, and if it pulls out easy, the brisket is done.

Any other methods for testing doneness besides internal temp and the fork? Thanks
This post was edited on 5/10 12:55 AM by bcangst

I've never done fork test but will try it. I like to pick mine up in the middle and see how it bends. There's no science to my method.

Calihornia,

How did you decide you wanted to get one of CHorn's smokers? I am considering getting a Gator Pit but am not closed to other options. This will be my first smoker btw.

Definitely start the thing at a pretty high temp, particulalrly if I am putting it on the pit for an overnight smoke that needs to be done for lunch the following day. I build a pretty big fire, get it to about 300, close down my dampers, and 6 hours later the thing will still be sitting at 225-250. To get my fire pretty hot like that I will use one chimney of mesquite charcoal, one chimney of B&B oak charcoal, and about 3-4 oak logs.

A lot of great info here. Thanks for all the info, joeywa, and others!
This post was edited on 5/10 12:01 PM by P4D

Originally posted by bill james:
Calihornia,

How did you decide you wanted to get one of CHorn's smokers? I am considering getting a Gator Pit but am not closed to other options. This will be my first smoker btw.

He makes quality products within my price range. There are lots of great pits out there and if I had an unlimited budget I'd probably get a custom trailer but for my current needs and budget it's a great pit.

I'd say head over to Academy when the model I'm looking at delivers (I think in a few weeks, he can chime in to clarify) and compare them in person.

Calihornia,

He makes quality products within my price range. There are lots of great pits out there and if I had an unlimited budget I'd probably get a custom trailer but for my current needs and budget it's a great pit.

I'd say head over to Academy when the model I'm looking at delivers (I think in a few weeks, he can chime in to clarify) and compare them in person.

What models are you looking at? Got a link? I am in Houston and was just thinking Gator Pit because it is close and they can deliver easily.

I am looking at getting a smoker/grill I can replace my current propane set up for. whats a good brand to look for. my budget would be relatively low but around $500 would be kind of a top level for me. depending on what it is I guess I can spend a tough more.
smilie2.gif

Originally posted by mm957:
Originally posted by Craben:
Has anyone experimented with cooking brisket sous vide (sealed in vacuum packets and cooked at low constant temp in a water emersion circulator) before placing on grill at high heat to layer-in smoke and bark?

Not sure how that would work since the brisket is only taking on the smoke flavor to, I believe, 160 degrees. What schedule would you be on?

My initial thought is why make something as easy as a brisket that hard? I just cant imagine it making it any better. All I do is leave it on the smoker unwrapped and Ill put mine up against any brisket I have had...

I've thought a lot about this before because sous vide cooking could be great in this application.

I would smoke it first, then sous vide, then sear.

Calihornia,

What models are you looking at? Got a link? I am in Houston and was just thinking Gator Pit because it is close and they can deliver easily.

Those are both big pluses. I think CHorn's models will be at your local Academy but I don't know if they deliver or not. I'll ask him to chime in on this thread and post a pic of his smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT