ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Questions, questions and more questions...)

It seems to me the biggest failure of the Herman recruiting record was offensive linemen overall.
I think he continued the tradition established by his predecessors. Mack in the last several years at the end and Charlie both largely failed on that note as well.

Reactions: Ketchum
1. Will Quinn Ewers start rounding third base from very good player to great player in the next month?

I was looking at Matt Leinart stats in
2004: (Heisman) he had 3,322 yds 33 TDS 6 Int Rating 156.5
2005: 3,815 yds 28 TDS 8 Int Rating 157.7

Quinn
2023: 3,479 22 TDS 6 Int Rating 158.6

is the 20 year gap from College QB play so different that we are not giving Quinn enough credit for this past season. Or have the standards of QB play changed because of crazy statistical years from the following seasons.

Mac Jones
2020: 4,500 41 TDs 4 Int Rating 203.1

Kyler Murray
2018: 4,361 42 TDs 7 Int Rating 199.2

Baker Mayfield
2015: 3,700 36 TD 7 Int Rating 173.3
2016: 3,965 40 TD 8 Int Rating 196.4
2017: 4,627 43 TD 6 Int Rating 198.9

Joe Burrow
2019: 5,671 60 TD 6 Int Rating 202.0

Last edited:
Reactions: styrbjorn
No. 6 - Tommy Brockermeyer ...

But to be fair everyone missed. All the services. Nick Saban etc. don't beat yourself up. Maybe the only one who foresaw the red flags was Hom Terman.

My memory was you did give Tommy the 6* star rating. Yikes!!

from a style of play standpoint?
Yes. The game has turned into a giant version of what used to suck about NBA All Star games: no defense, just a bunch of guys trying to make highlight reel plays. I know it thrills the low info crowd, but as a guy who loved the game in its initial incarnation as a team sport, I just don't like it.

But to be fair everyone missed. All the services. Nick Saban etc. don't beat yourself up. Maybe the only one who foresaw the red flags was Hom Terman.

Tom would have given his left and right >nut< for tommy. It was what put him on the recruiting hot seat. Losing Quinn started the landslide.

Last edited:
I was approached at a watering hole on Saturday by a guy I vaguely know who's a big UT fan, but not an alum and not necessarily very plugged in.

His question was when is Arch going to start? I said "2025, unless Quinn gets hurt, then he'll start the games Quinn misses". And he just shakes his head and tells me that Arch will transfer if he's not starting this season. And I shake my head back at him and say "Stop reading stuff on the internet about Arch Manning. The Manning family LOVES Sark."

Did I give him the right response, or should I have added anything?
You nailed it,

Reactions: ARD438
I think Herman was a bad coach while at UT and the state of the program when he left reflected that. He was not fired wrongly. I thought that was the point of Anwar's comment.

His team had a chance to win 10 games in final season and won its bowl game,

I mean... let's have a fair conversation and not talk in absolutes without nuance.

Reactions: boernefan
At LB we have three proven players along with Blackwell, and two others with great talent. Collins is the only real talent that I see of the DTs. I’m way more worried about DT but I know we are going to being in another transfer. So you may end up being right after all.

Yes, you should have added the word Dumbass at the end.
If Hill weren't healthy, I wonder if your mindset chances?

1. Will Quinn Ewers start rounding third base from very good player to great player in the next month?

I was looking at Matt Leinart stats in
2004: (Heisman) he had 3,322 yds 33 TDS 6 Int Rating 156.5
2005: 3,815 yds 28 TDS 8 Int Rating 157.7

Quinn
2023: 3,479 22 TDS 6 Int Rating 158.6

is the 20 year gap from College QB play so different that we are not giving Quinn enough credit for this past season. Or have the standards of QB play changed because of crazy statistical years from the following seasons.

Mac Jones
2020: 4,500 41 TDs 4 Int Rating 203.1

Kyler Murray
2018: 4,361 42 TDs 7 Int Rating 199.2

Baker Mayfield
2015: 3,700 36 TD 7 Int Rating 173.3
2016: 3,965 40 TD 8 Int Rating 196.4
2017: 4,627 43 TD 6 Int Rating 198.9

Joe Burrow
2019: 5,671 60 TD 6 Int Rating 202.0
Both?

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

What is your definition of "very good"?

Four or more losses in all each full season doesn’t say very good to me. It says aight. Never won a conference. His one appearance we got worked. Never sniffed a playoff. 1-3 against ou isn’t very good. He wasn’t very good at roster construction.

I’d say Pierce before this year has been very good but not great. And I think it’s all about to crash for him. The portal world can flip it either way so fast.

Yes. The game has turned into a giant version of what used to suck about NBA All Star games: no defense, just a bunch of guys trying to make highlight reel plays. I know it thrills the low info crowd, but as a guy who loved the game in its initial incarnation as a team sport, I just don't like it.
I feel like college teams play defense, at least the good ones.

Reactions: styrbjorn
Not on the field.

That's not to say there weren't major areas of concerns or problems.
I was focusing the whole. It seemed obvious to many that the team and program was rudderless and about spiral even further. It seems like Kevin Eltife, for one, but this re-hashed enough. Go ahead with a response and lets both move on.

That's not what I said at all.

Ewers had his worst statistical game of the year in that game and when the team had four plays from inside the 10 to win the game, he didn't make the play needed.
The frustrating part is that he didn’t even give AD a chance to make a play. The last three passes were whiffs.
I love the Man with 2 brains. Underrated.

after spring football the over/under on players hitting the out portal is 6 you on the over or under?

I was focusing the whole. It seemed obvious to many that the team and program was rudderless and about spiral even further. It seems like Kevin Eltife, for one, but this re-hashed enough. Go ahead with a response and lets both move on.
Look, I'm no super fan of Tom, but he got railroaded over The Eyes saga and it's dishonest in a big way to not ignore how that issue...

a. Turned off money people
b. Turned off fans.
c. Turned off recruits.
d. Made his job managing the team much more difficult.

Last edited:
The frustrating part is that he didn’t even give AD a chance to make a play. The last three passes were whiffs.
I love the Man with 2 brains. Underrated.
Another one that I can't ever remember seeing.

Wow. It wasn't just one or two players he couldn't recruit. Those were just the most obvious examples. Legacy football players with a family that bleeds orange not wanting their kids to walk into a dumpster fire. Herman was imploding the program top to bottom and had lost the vast majority of supporters - with good reason - except the Orangeblood mods.
The program was imploding because of a very unfortunate situation because of The Eyes. There are plenty of people to blame for that one. 32-18 as a head coach and four winning seasons is far from a failure. That being said, a parting of ways was probably best for everyone involved, and Sarkisian has this program pointed in the right direction.

The program was imploding because of a very unfortunate situation because of The Eyes. There are plenty of people to blame for that one. 32-18 as a head coach and four winning seasons is far from a failure. That being said, a parting of ways was probably best for everyone involved, and Sarkisian has this program pointed in the right direction.

This is all fair...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT