ADVERTISEMENT

I thought it was "Big Hat, No Cattle"

FreeBowlOfSoup

Nov 3, 2014
?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...onghorn-network-is-all-hat-no-cattle-051115On

The Longhorn Network Is All Hat, No Cattle

Aug. 26, 2011, the Longhorn Network, a joint partnership of Texas and ESPN, launched to equal parts acclaim and controversy. ESPN had inked a 20-year deal that guaranteed Texas $300 million for the newly christened LHN, an average of $15 million a year over the life of the partnership. Texas Longhorn administrators and fans heralded the new network as the product that would make Texas a truly national brand. Sportswriters wrote feverish columns speculating on who the next school to follow in the Longhorn footsteps and launch its own network would be. It was truly a proud day for Longhorn supporters -- the beginning, they believed, of a generation of dominant athletics.

But the rest of the Big 12 eyed the new network apprehensively. Having recently chosen not to join the Pac-10's audacious expansion bid to 16 schools, Texas had driven a high price to remain in the Big 12 -- the Longhorn Network was its prize. While ESPN has received much of the criticism for the LHN's launch, if ESPN hadn't partnered with Texas on the channel then it's likely Fox or Comcast or another major media company would have stepped up to launch the channel. Those other companies may not have paid as much as ESPN, but one thing was certain -- if the Longhorns were staying in the Big 12, Texas was going to have its own network.
So as we near the four-year anniversary of the network's launch, it's worth asking: How's the Longhorn Network doing?
The answer depends on who you ask.

According to SNL Kagan, the Longhorn Network now has 6.5 million in-state subscribers paying an average rate of .29 a month. Based on SNL's numbers, that means in 2015 the Longhorn Network will bring in $22.6 million in revenue from those 6.5 million subscribers in Texas. ESPN doesn't comment on particular revenue numbers for channels, but ESPN says the LHN actually has 20 million subscribers. That's a big difference in subscriber numbers, but when you parse the difference between those subscriber numbers, the revenue isn't much different. That's because, according to SNL Kagan, all of the national subscribers outside the state of Texas -- that's roughly 13.5 million subscribers -- are paying $0.02 a month, or $0.24 a year, for the Longhorn Network. Those 13.5 million subscribers would add just $3.2 million more a year in revenue, meaning after four years the Longhorn Network is still just doing $25.8 million a year in revenue. (Putting that number in a sports TV context, the Longhorn Network is on pace to do less revenue in 20 years than Mayweather-Pacquiao did in one night of pay-per-view boxing.)

Lulz

It's funny how eat up with the LHN, AGGY and SEC beat writers are. One Team, One network, One teams content, nobody else has anything like it....

Since the day it launched (and the year preceding the launch), after all the endless hype...

1. texas football has fallen off the face of the earth for 5 straight years.
2. Our conference is now a mid-major after losing Neb, A&M and Mizz
3. The network itself is an abysmal failure and has lost ESPN millions every year.

I enjoy it..................... It's tier 3 rights... It probably gets dissolved at some point, but I'm glad I have a network I can watch for know that doesn't have any other teams crap on it!

I enjoy it..................... It's tier 3 rights... It probably gets dissolved at some point, but I'm glad I have a network I can watch for know that doesn't have any other teams crap on it!
If you're right and it gets dissolved, would you expect Texas to head to PAC12, BIG10, SEC, go Indy, or hang in with the BIG12? Without LHN, I would expect a move. I could see a big shakeup, if it happened. Thanks

If you're right and it gets dissolved, would you expect Texas to head to PAC12, BIG10, SEC, go Indy, or hang in with the BIG12? Without LHN, I would expect a move. I could see a big shakeup, if it happened. Thanks
I DON'T SEE IT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON... Texas controls it's own destiny in the end game. They can land in whatever conference they want when it comes down to it. Obviously, there is not a good enough reason to make change until the current Big12 agreement expires. I doubt anything happens over the next 10 years unless the Big 12 dissolves.

Same for me. I care about UT, and UT sports. It's a badass network that creates a lot of jealousy from lessers. I will never, as long as it exists, give two shits about how much money it makes.

Why do you care, Soup? Can you answer that honestly?

regardless how it may be viewed, Texas gets its 15 mil per year and your fans get to watch all Texas stuff. The only question is would a big 12 network had been more profitable and would the added profits had been worth it to Texas fans to have to view other school's stuff.

and we'll just keep kicking your ass...you're welcome
A) I see you didn't dispute that you do what we tell you to do. That's the correct response.
B) We have a 16-game lead on you head to head. You'll never have that advantage in your lifetime.

Same for me. I care about UT, and UT sports. It's a badass network that creates a lot of jealousy from lessers. I will never, as long as it exists, give two shits about how much money it makes.

Why do you care, Soup? Can you answer that honestly?

I care, because on this very board 5 years ago...there was no less than 20,000 posts concerning how the LHN was going to propel the horns to recruiting and on the field dominance. Now, 4 years since the launch, none of your big 3 programs are even flirting with being ranked...and football, oh son...you're the 4th best program in your state and a very distant 4th at that.

regardless how it may be viewed, Texas gets its 15 mil per year and your fans get to watch all Texas stuff. The only question is would a big 12 network had been more profitable and would the added profits had been worth it to Texas fans to have to view other school's stuff.
The other Big XII schools voted that down. So not the fault of Texas despite all of the ignorant haters.

A) I see you didn't dispute that you do what we tell you to do. That's the correct response.
B) We have a 16-game lead on you head to head. You'll never have that advantage in your lifetime.

OU didn't hitch it's wagon to texas, unfortunately we hitched our wagon with Okie St. No one wanted okie st and here we are.

Speaking of lifetimes..OU has a winning record vs texas in my lifetime. But that's not that big of deal...you're just a middle of the road nobody in a shitty conference.

OU didn't hitch it's wagon to texas....
Yeah you did. Like I said, just keep doing what we tell you and you'll keep making money. Again, you previous paupers are ignorant of the past and also ungrateful but it's OK. You're still welcome for our help.

Since the day it launched (and the year preceding the launch), after all the endless hype...

1. texas football has fallen off the face of the earth for 5 straight years.
2. Our conference is now a mid-major after losing Neb, A&M and Mizz
3. The network itself is an abysmal failure and has lost ESPN millions every year.

Yet it is still up and running fine. How much did your school make off its own network? Funny how ours makes us money yet it is a failure.....

Espn is losing money on it? During a period of time when we are down? Do you tie your own shoes or is Velcro easier? just stop..

I DON'T SEE IT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON... Texas controls it's own destiny in the end game. They can land in whatever conference they want when it comes down to it. Obviously, there is not a good enough reason to make change until the current Big12 agreement expires. I doubt anything happens over the next 10 years unless the Big 12 dissolves.
You are probably right. If it is only a Texas deal, Texas can most likely pick its landing spot. I always wonder about politics. Do you think Baylor, TCU, and Tech would be a problem? I doubt anyone wants those guys. They bring very little to a confernce, as far as dollars go.

Yeah you did. Like I said, just keep doing what we tell you and you'll keep making money. Again, you previous paupers are ignorant of the past and also ungrateful but it's OK. You're still welcome for our help.

I know I've enjoyed your "help" 10 of the last 15 Octobers...

lol

I would like to see you guys jump to PAC12 or BIG10, and let those 3 see their real value.

You are probably right. If it is only a Texas deal, Texas can most likely pick its landing spot. I always wonder about politics. Do you think Baylor, TCU, and Tech would be a problem? I doubt anyone wants those guys. They bring very little to a confernce, as far as dollars go.
If the Big 12 dissolves. It's an end game for the lessors, Texas and OU are the only two that could jump into a partnership with any of the remaining power 5. Politics would have to take a backseat after Ag's 100 year decision.

I know I've enjoyed your "help" 10 of the last 15 Octobers...lol
You also enjoy paint chips apparently. Look, the Big 8 was circling the drain and was dirt poor at the formation of the Big XII. OU had no money, now you're rich. Thanks to Texas and just following us. Continue to ignore reality if it makes you feel good though. LOL.

You also enjoy paint chips apparently. Look, the Big 8 was circling the drain and was dirt poor at the formation of the Big XII. OU had no money, now you're rich. Thanks to Texas and just following us. Continue to ignore reality if it makes you feel good though. LOL.

The Southworst conference sucked too.

OU has always been a top 15 sports revenue school, just behind the top 6 or 7 programs...just like we are now. Are you ever right?

and never forget, we took you four southworst refugees in to OUR conference...that's why it's called the Big XII, not the southworst XII. OU was a better football program before '96 and we're a better program after '96.

OU has always been a top 15 sports revenue school, just behind the top 6 or 7 programs...just like we are now. Are you ever right?
Complete lie. You were broke when the Big XII formed.

And another thing, you tried to go to the PAC without us but they didn't want you so know your role and follow your leader.

The only thing that seemed neat to me about the longhorn network was the horns ability to see all of the home baseball games. With our switch to the SEC, the SEC Network+ has given me the ability to watch almost every baseball game besides the road non conference games. I'm very happy with the switch.

With our switch to the SEC, the SEC Network+ has given me the ability to watch almost every baseball game besides the road non conference games. I'm very happy with the switch.
Couple of things:

1) You could've had the same thing here with a joint network with us that Deloss offered but that chode Bill Byrne was too stupid.
2) So why are you still hanging out on the Longhorn website? Go talk to your new friends.

The Southworst conference sucked too.

and never forget, we took you four southworst refugees in to OUR conference...that's why it's called the Big XII, not the southworst XII. OU was a better football program before '96 and we're a better program after '96.
The Southwest was better than this shit ya'll call SEC and others, at least it was football instead of who goes to jail on Today!

Complete lie. You were broke when the Big XII formed.

And another thing, you tried to go to the PAC without us but they didn't want you so know your role and follow your leader.
We didn't go to the PAC cause they wouldn't take okie st...they just wanted us. OU could have left for any conference on its own...surely you're not that simple. I mean, everyone here knows you're always wrong but do you honestly think that the SEC or PAC would have passed on just OU?

Also, to continue with your "wrong streak" ...back in 1982, OU and GA sued the NCAA over revenues if you remember and both OU and GA were top 10 revenue schools then so.....how is that possible if we didn't that 4th best program in the state of texas to hitch to? Odd huh.

We didn't go to the PAC cause they wouldn't take okie st...they just wanted us.
Another bald faced lie. They didn't want you without us. :D

...back in 1982, OU and GA sued the NCAA over revenues if you remember and both OU and GA were top 10 revenue schools then so.....how is that possible if we didn't that 4th best program in the state of texas to hitch to? Odd huh.
So why did you hitch up with us in the Big XII and allow us to write the rules then? Because your tv deal sucked and your revenue sucked. Just because you're ignorant of facts and a dishonest person doesn't change that, okie. You're just a part of a sh*tty group of human beings, it's not your fault. You're a product of your environment.

Another bald faced lie. They didn't want you without us. :D

You honestly think the PAC wanted Utah and Colorado but wouldn't take OU alone? The Xanax toll from those RRS ass whoopins seem to be adding up. You're a joke, dude...similar to the middle of the pack football program you root for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT