ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Taking some of my own advice)

Re: Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Taking some of my own advic

Originally posted by HornOwl:
Anyone But Chelsea....

Leaving any EPL team mid-season to jump on the band wagon of the runaway league leading Chelsea run by the worst kind of Russian oligarch. It really deserves it's own thread to keep you from sinking into the abyss.

Ketch, you do have to be able to sleep at night.
giphy.gif

Oregon that far back is pretty laughable.

Originally posted by RLong68:
Oregon that far back is pretty laughable.
Who ahead of them are they clearly better than?

You should have blasphemed God, or make a sculpture of Mother Mary out of feces--no one would have noticed.

My biggest concern about Swoops is does he have the "It" factor. And by the "it" factor, I mean does he have the competitiveness to be great. Does he have a burning passion to win? Or, is he just trying not to mess up when playing the game. I thought he might have the "it" factor after the comback in Iowa State. Watching the three games since then and his demeaner after and during games, I just don't know that he has "it". I hope he proves me wrong.

Originally posted by HornOwl:
Anyone But Chelsea....

Leaving any EPL team mid-season to jump on the band wagon of the runaway league leading Chelsea run by the worst kind of Russian oligarch. It really deserves it's own thread to keep you from sinking into the abyss.

Ketch, you do have to be able to sleep at night.
HornOwl - With respect, cut Ketch just a little slack... He's a newbie soccer fan and wants to captivated and entertained by the EPL... So, with that in mind, it would be pretty natural for him to start following the best team; with the top goal scorer; with the best manager; in the largest market. Wouldn't it?... Oh, and I didn't even have to write that team's name for you to know exactly who I was referring to... Frankly, even the football pundits in the UK agree that (the team that shall not be mentioned) are MUST SEE TV each week...

One of my biggest fears about Dodds' realignment debacle is that it would ultimately strengthen more Texas teams. We certainly saw that on Saturday as CS's first decent win was the 4th best win by a Texas team.

If you want to watch greatness, watch Real Madrid this season. They are unbelievably fun to watch and have 7 players hitting on all cylinders. EPL is very boring compared to watching the Spanish giants. I watch both, but there is no question who the best three teams in the world are and none of them are in the EPL (2 Spain 1 Germany).

Good luck to you, your family and your son with the upcoming surgery. Positive prayers and thoughts headed your way.

Ketch, because of your 'core values' and your commitment to evolve {spiritually, I assume} as a human being {father, husband, son, friend, etc} means you make, & will continue to make a positive difference in peoples' lives!

I know for myself that if I can get to the end of my physical life, and can honestly say to myself: "I'm leaving this world a little better off than when I first arrived," I'll be a happy, serene, fulfilled man! So far, so good {despite all the blunders & fails}.

Too bad we live in a world where selfishness, self-seeking & self aggrandizement {in the most material & shallow of ways} is rapidly becoming the norm. However, its people like you that gives me hope that maybe, just maybe we can, together, "right the ship."

Hook 'em!

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Originally posted by hornrush:
I, respectfully, disagree with your assessment of Mr. Swoopes.

Let these facts sink in a bit

Just before the 6 minute mark of the 4th qtr, the Texas offense was 2 of 8 on 3rd down and had amassed a grand total of 28 yards in the 2nd half. WVU put 8 in the box and dared Swoopes to beat them with his arm. He didn't. His decision making process was poor, he stared down his receivers and the balls he threw were mostly go routes that ended up being jump balls. He ran into his backs, misread blitzes to check down to simple slant routes and was off target the entire half. It was almost as if he were fighting a concussion. Since he wasn't, a conclusion could be reached that at least his progression is stagnate and at most is regressing.

Hook'em!
Yes, if you look at his progress in a vacuum, you might reach that conclusion.
Considering that this is the 3rd game in a row where Swoopes has not performed well, as compared to the ou and the ISU games, as well as taking in his performance in the first half which, had it not been for the running game busting loose, the lead would have probably been much smaller going into the half and finally hearing from those who coach and watching the coaching of him on the sidelines, that's a pretty large vacuum.

Look, I get it...he's your boy and I know you disagree. But dispassionately, he doesn't seem to be improving, to my eyes or the eyes of others that I mentioned. He may have all of the tools but he still doesn't know how to use them.

Hook'em!

No. 4 - College Football this and that …

… Remember when a lot of folks were up in arms over the idea that the regular season in college football would be devalued with a four-team playoff? Well, I'd argue that the last six weeks have represented the best college football regular season that we've ever lived through. From week to week, there are all of these mini-playoff games that will eventually produce a playoff. It's been an incredible amount of fun.

This post was edited on 11/9 9:49 PM by Ketchum
Hard to say right now in my opinion. To me the college football champion meant the season's best team. Currently there are three undefeated teams Miss St, Florida State, and Marshall and a lot of football to be played. It does not appear Marshall will make it in the top four. If we assume the top two undefeateds remain undefeated I'd say it would devalue the losses of the teams they played.

Realistically I think Miss St loses one(at least) and FSU probably stays undefeated. If we were under the old system I don't see how the excitement over the past few weeks is any different at all. You'd be looking at #1/2 as undefeated, the same teams scrambling to stay at one loss that are scrambling now or likely be out of the picture, and everyone hoping for an upset. At the end there is likely to be the same or more confusion and injustice of teams being left out and still the potential of an undefeated team having to play a team with at least one loss to just be able to play for the title.

… If I had a vote that mattered …

1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Baylor
6. Arizona State
7. Oregon
8. Ohio State
9. Mississippi
10. Auburn

Ketch,

I have to respectfully disagree with your rankings. Think you need to flip TCU and Baylor. Say what you want about the powder puff schedule Baylor had at the beginning of the year. They beat TCU in the head to head match up. To me, that is the end all be all. Secondly, beating OU in Norman is no small feat. OU just does not lose at home like that... Not saying TCU isn't a really good team... they are.

One of the two SEC teams you have in your top four will be out of the top four after this week. Should be interesting.

Ketch,

Hope everything goes well for your son's surgery. Glad to have you back.

Seems like TCU and Baylor are both in good spots going forward. The SEC teams will keep beating the hell out of each other. They need Alabama to beat Miss St and and Auburn to beat Alabama.

Ketch:

First, welcome to unintended consequences regarding your Mississippi comment. I actually didn't find it objectionable and I believe Mississippi has earned the right to be the butt of a joke regarding segregation/desegregation. But whatever.

I had my own unintended consequences post at OB a couple of years ago regarding the OB Letterman's jacket. The thread quickly got out of hand, thanks to my "bullheadedness". I am combative by nature, too sensitive to criticism or lighthearted jokes at my expense, so I wore out the "LOL. Ignore" phrase. But time heals most everything.

Second, I pray for your little guy. I have a just-about two year old boy and I would be devastated if anything happened to him. So may God bless your boy and bring him through his surgery with most positive of outcomes.

You are a good man, Ketch, from reading your posts over the years and I truly believe that good nature of yours will ultimately be rewarded. As we used to say in the '60s, "keep on trucking".

My own opinion---shame on Mississippi and those who lynched, burned alive, and otherwise abused fellow Americans during that period of hatred and bigotry. I said on this forum last week, I served in the Marine Corps with black Marines who bravely and courageously put their lives on the line for this country in Vietnam only to return to those hateful southern states like Mississippi to be treated like dogsh*t.

Over and out.

This post was edited on 11/10 10:34 AM by TexasX

Originally posted by 1011marytime:

Also remember this about the EPL, just bc they're a giant doesn't mean they're favorites. For example, man city is absolutely loaded every year, and they win the league a lot. But when they go play champions league they consistently get their heads kicked in. With all the competitions they play in, there are lots of opportunities to be a favorite and an underdog.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
I think trying to correlate the number of games that a top side plays each season to their Champion's League performances is a bit of a stretch. Teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Münich and even Chelsea seem to do just fine with the same challenge. Also, it's clear that these teams are well-funded to the extent that they can field a 2 and sometimes 3 deep rotation that would better the starting 11 in most of the teams in their respective leagues.

No, I think the problem with MCFC is more mental. Even though they are a big team in financial terms, they have a small team mentality due to the simple fact that they're not even the biggest team in their home post code. Casting off the "little brother" yoke is something that we (as Texas fans) know a little something about considering little brother over in Collie Station. Again, it's a mentality that takes decades to overcome.

Ketch, first and foremost, prayers for your son. Find comfort in that so many of us have experienced terrifying issues with our kids at some point only to see God perform some incredible miracles, present company included. Stay optimistic and know that Hendrix will be just fine. All the best.

Great write-up all the way, especially #1. Speaks volume about your character in how you handled the aftermath of the regrettable tweet.

Originally posted by tooker00:
My biggest concern about Swoops is does he have the "It" factor. And by the "it" factor, I mean does he have the competitiveness to be great. Does he have a burning passion to win? Or, is he just trying not to mess up when playing the game. I thought he might have the "it" factor after the comback in Iowa State. Watching the three games since then and his demeaner after and during games, I just don't know that he has "it". I hope he proves me wrong.
Not sure Colt had "it" right away. Or Aaron Rodgers. Or Tom Brady.

Originally posted by TexasX:
Ketch:

First, welcome to unintended consequences regarding your Mississippi comment. I actually didn't find it objectionable and I believe Mississippi has earned the right to be the butt of a joke regarding segregation/desegregation. But whatever.

I had my own unintended consequences post at OB a couple of years ago regarding the OB Letterman's jacket. The thread quickly got out of hand, thanks to my "bullheadedness". I am combative by nature, too sensitive to criticism or lighthearted jokes at my expense, so I wore out the "LOL. Ignore" phrase. But time heals most everything.

Second, I pray for your little guy. I have a just-about two year old boy and I would be devastated if anything happened to him. So may God bless your boy and bring him through his surgery with most positive of outcomes.

You are a good man, Ketch, from reading your posts over the years and I truly believe that good nature of yours will ultimately be rewarded. As we used to say in the '60s, "keep on trucking".

My own opinion---shame on Mississippi and those who lynched, burned alive, and otherwise abused fellow Americans during that period of hatred and bigotry. I said on this forum last week, I served in the Marine Corps with black Marines who bravely and courageously put their lives on the line for this country in Vietnam only to return to those hateful southern states like Mississippi to be treated like dogsh*t.

Over and out.

This post was edited on 11/10 10:34 AM by TexasX
Pretty self-righteous post ("shame on Mississippi and those who lynched..."). And sadly hypocritical. I'd say shame on you using your standards.

Everyone in Mississippi didn't do the things you mention. Just as you and everyone in Texas hopefully don't have the views of the Texans interviewed below (a point obviously lost on you):

JASPER, Tex. - For more than 100 years, a rickety iron fence separated
the black graves from the white ones at a cemetery in this East Texas
town. Months after the brutal murder here of James Byrd Jr.,
a black man chained to a pickup truck and dragged to death by three
white men on June 7, 1998, the fence was torn down by residents as a
sign of unity and reconciliation.

Related

Fired Jasper Police Chief Is at Center of Divide

(June 22, 2012)

Connect With Us on Twitter

Follow @NYTNational for breaking news and headlines.

Twitter List: Reporters and Editors

22jasper-webmap-articleInline.jpg

The New York Times

Enlarge This Image[/URL]

JASPER-3-articleInline.jpg

[/URL]

Michael Stravato for The New York Times

Rodney Pearson and his wife, Sandy. His hiring and firing divided Jasper.

Enlarge This Image[/URL]

JASPER-2-articleInline.jpg

[/URL]

Albert Snell, a member of the board of directors of
the segregated cemetery where Mr. Byrd is buried.

Enlarge This Image[/URL]

JP-JASPER-articleInline.jpg

[/URL]

Lance Caraway, center, the owner of a gun store in town, opposed Mr. Pearson in the dispute.

Fourteen years later, Jasper City Cemetery remains segregated: blacks,
including Mr. Byrd, are buried near the bottom of the hill, while whites
are buried at the top.

"It's our custom, here in the South, here in Jasper," said Albert K.
Snell, 80, a retired teacher who is white and a member of the cemetery's
board of directors. "We have the same cemetery, but we don't mix the
white and the black graves. They're separate. Put a black up here? No,
no, we wouldn't do that. That would be against our custom, against our
way of doing things."

Again welcome back Ketch. IMO you need to go see The Judge with Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall. I think your Oscar list would change.

Originally posted by Baguette:
Ketch, because of your 'core values' and your commitment to evolve {spiritually, I assume} as a human being {father, husband, son, friend, etc} means you make, & will continue to make a positive difference in peoples' lives!

I know for myself that if I can get to the end of my physical life, and can honestly say to myself: "I'm leaving this world a little better off than when I first arrived," I'll be a happy, serene, fulfilled man! So far, so good {despite all the blunders & fails}.

Too bad we live in a world where selfishness, self-seeking & self aggrandizement {in the most material & shallow of ways} is rapidly becoming the norm. However, its people like you that gives me hope that maybe, just maybe we can, together, "right the ship."

Hook 'em!
Be better every day. That's my constant task.

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus:

Ketch, Here is Chelsea's Diego Costa start to his EPL career. Just 10 games in. Fun player
Pretty sick.

Originally posted by hornrush:
Considering that this is the 3rd game in a row where Swoopes has not performed well, as compared to the ou and the ISU games, as well as taking in his performance in the first half which, had it not been for the running game busting loose, the lead would have probably been much smaller going into the half and finally hearing from those who coach and watching the coaching of him on the sidelines, that's a pretty large vacuum.

Look, I get it...he's your boy and I know you disagree. But dispassionately, he doesn't seem to be improving, to my eyes or the eyes of others that I mentioned. He may have all of the tools but he still doesn't know how to use them.

Hook'em!
I still think you're viewing this through a vacuum (and I understand why).

Let's go through a view things, including issues you've brought up for discussion.

First and foremost, Stoopes play has to be viewed in the full sample size of 2014 and not in a smaller sample size, good or bad. What has to be viewed with Swoopes is the overall growth from January to November and how much more room for browth there will be when we hit the next January through November stretch.

I would add that while Swoopes' play in the last three games has been below standard, it hasn't been empty of things to build on.

a. Whether he's been the major piece of the puzzle or not, he's helped guide/quarterback the team to one-sided wins in each of the last two weeks.
b. Up until the fourth quarter of this last game when he really started to press, Swoopes has done a really good job of attacking teams without putting the offense in trouble with turnovers. I think the fact that he has only six interceptions in nine starts is fairly impressive, especially when you consider the fact that he likes to push the ball into dangerous places (he is not afraid to throw into the middle of the field). He has one interception in the last three games, which should put his poor stretch of ball into some proper perspective.
c. Swoopes actually started out well on Saturday and the day just got away from him. A seven for 11 start that had people taking things too far the other way with his progress was a small piece of success within the overall struggle of the last three weeks.

Don't confuse me looking at a bigger picture than you and seeing more clay to work with than you as him simply being my boy. I'm not married to the idea that he is definitely the guy and I'm a loud advocate for bringing in added competition for next season.

I'm simply seeing a more complete picture than you in my opinion, one that takes the bad and the good in equally.

utfan101:

I stand by my post, notwithstanding that you said: "Pretty self-righteous post ("shame on Mississippi and those who lynched..."). And sadly hypocritical. I'd say shame on you using your standards. Everyone in Mississippi didn't do the things you mention. Just as you and everyone in Texas hopefully don't have the views of the Texans interviewed below (a point obviously lost on you).

If you lived in Mississippi during that period, regardless of whether you did any of those horrible things to those Americans, and did nothing to strike back against the racism and hatred, then shame on you. As for me, I served as a Texas prosecutor and would have certainly prosecuted those Texas white guys for the horrible thing they did if they had been in my jurisdiction. I would have asked for the death penalty. In Texas, we have had plenty of our own embarrassing actions towards others---including Mexicans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and in East Texas black Texans. We should be ashamed for what those damnable Texans did to people of color.

But it especially has galled me to think about my friends in the Corps during Vietnam from Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama who went back home to be treated like crap. For Texas, I am ashamed that our Medal of Honor winner (now deceased) Special Forces Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez might have been stopped by the Border Patrol or the militia members we have down here these days for being of Mexican ethnicity---looking Mexican---if he had visited down here in South Texas where I live these days.

Finally, I reject your language claiming my post was "self-righteous" and "sadly hypocritical". To treat others as you would have them treat you isn't a standard I created.

This post was edited on 11/10 11:57 AM by TexasX

Originally posted by pied:
Hard to say right now in my opinion. To me the college football champion meant the season's best team. Currently there are three undefeated teams Miss St, Florida State, and Marshall and a lot of football to be played. It does not appear Marshall will make it in the top four. If we assume the top two undefeateds remain undefeated I'd say it would devalue the losses of the teams they played.

Realistically I think Miss St loses one(at least) and FSU probably stays undefeated. If we were under the old system I don't see how the excitement over the past few weeks is any different at all. You'd be looking at #1/2 as undefeated, the same teams scrambling to stay at one loss that are scrambling now or likely be out of the picture, and everyone hoping for an upset. At the end there is likely to be the same or more confusion and injustice of teams being left out and still the potential of an undefeated team having to play a team with at least one loss to just be able to play for the title.
The goal is to find the best team, period. I don't know that it's possible to really determine that based on the apples and oranges and grapes of the sport without some sort of a playoff. I don't view FSU as truly the best team just because they haven't lost a game. Their schedule has been very kind and those things don't always mean as much as they should when trying to find a top 2 is the only goal.

Originally posted by rtryer:

I have to respectfully disagree with your rankings. Think you need to flip TCU and Baylor. Say what you want about the powder puff schedule Baylor had at the beginning of the year. They beat TCU in the head to head match up. To me, that is the end all be all. Secondly, beating OU in Norman is no small feat. OU just does not lose at home like that... Not saying TCU isn't a really good team... they are.

One of the two SEC teams you have in your top four will be out of the top four after this week. Should be interesting.
TCU is better IMO. Baylor beat them by three at home in a game where my eyes told me TCU was better in throughout. I do understand anyone that puts Baylor in front of TCU.

This isn't the same as 2008 because Texas beat OU emphatically by 10 on a neutral field.

Originally posted by pied:

The goal is to find the best team, period. I don't know that it's possible to really determine that based on the apples and oranges and grapes of the sport without some sort of a playoff. I don't view FSU as truly the best team just because they haven't lost a game. Their schedule has been very kind and those things don't always mean as much as they should when trying to find a top 2 is the only goal.
There are lots of ways to determine a champion, with the model most soccer leagues employ being clearly the best and only way in my opinion.

Of course that's format is impossible for college football and most American sports. So we know we are starting with a flawed system. A playoff simply rewards the team hot at the end of the year, moreso as the number of teams in the tournament get higher.

That's not the point though, the point is how would the excitement be any less if we were looking at two teams and not four? Only difference is we KNOW that there will be teams with losses competing for the title, which does in fact make them less important.

Originally posted by TexasX:
utfan101:

I stand by my post, notwithstanding that you said: "Pretty self-righteous post ("shame on Mississippi and those who lynched..."). And sadly hypocritical. I'd say shame on you using your standards. Everyone in Mississippi didn't do the things you mention. Just as you and everyone in Texas hopefully don't have the views of the Texans interviewed below (a point obviously lost on you).

If you lived in Mississippi during that period, regardless of whether you did any of those horrible things to those Americans, and did nothing to strike back against the racism and hatred, then shame on you. As for me, I served as a Texas prosecutor and would have certainly prosecuted those Texas white guys for the horrible thing they did if they had been in my jurisdiction. I would have asked for the death penalty. In Texas, we have had plenty of our own embarrassing actions towards others---including Mexicans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and in East Texas black Texans. We should be ashamed for what those damnable Texans did to people of color.

But it especially has galled me to think about my friends in the Corps during Vietnam from Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama who went back home to be treated like crap. For Texas, I am ashamed that our Medal of Honor winner (now deceased) Special Forces Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez might have been stopped by the Border Patrol or the militia members we have down here these days for being of Mexican ethnicity---looking Mexican---if he had visited down here in South Texas where I live these days.

Finally, I reject your language claiming my post was "self-righteous" and "sadly hypocritical". To treat others as you would have them treat you isn't a standard I created.

This post was edited on 11/10 11:57 AM by TexasX
TexasX, thanks for your response.

Here's the problem: While you now qualify your accusation of racism by directing it to those who "lived in Mississippi...and did nothing" your original post didn't. You just applied the characterization to everyone. A prosecutor, of all people, should know better.

Should everyone assume first that you are just like the people of Jasper, Texas who lynched the African-American gentleman in 1998? Or would you rather they ask first how you feel about it and what you've done to make things better?

Most Mississippians I know have been and still are working hard to change things for the better in Mississippi in the area of race relations. They aren't especially helped by a few yahoos from another confederate state characterizing them as racists when it isn't true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT