ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Two guys have really taken off this spring...)

Absent a freak who can run (VY, etc.), it is supposed to be that way if you're playing constantly against a talented defense that knows you. Do we know if guys like Mac Jones tore up his defense in spring training?
Elite quarterbacks are typically elite all the time because they have the dominant super power.

When talking about the ones who made it, yes. 6/11 were 218+ and 5/11 were under 218. So maybe being a little bit thicker is the key vs. being lighter.

It is splitting hairs though seeing it's basically even.
Only 10 made it.

1. 2006 Sergio Kindle (6-4, 225)
2. 2007 Keenan Robinson (6-3, 211)
3. 2007 Travis Lewis (6-1, 213)
4. 2010 Corey Nelson (6-0, 210)
5. 2014 Otaro Alaka (6-3, 210)
6. 2015 Malik Jefferson (6-2, 218)
7. 2017 Kenneth Murray (6-2, 208)
8. 2017 Baron Browning (6-3, 230)
9. 2017 Anthony Hines (6-3, 218)
10. 2017 Levi Jones (6-3, 225)

Only 10 made it.

1. 2006 Sergio Kindle (6-4, 225)
2. 2007 Keenan Robinson (6-3, 211)
3. 2007 Travis Lewis (6-1, 213)
4. 2010 Corey Nelson (6-0, 210)
5. 2014 Otaro Alaka (6-3, 210)
6. 2015 Malik Jefferson (6-2, 218)
7. 2017 Kenneth Murray (6-2, 208)
8. 2017 Baron Browning (6-3, 230)
9. 2017 Anthony Hines (6-3, 218)
10. 2017 Levi Jones (6-3, 225)

So you are mainly talking about 4+ star linebackers from Texas in general though.

I was referencing of the 10 or 11 that made it, it's a moot point about their weight seeing that it's right down the middle basically.

Reactions: bd tejas
So you are mainly talking about 4+ star linebackers from Texas in general though.

I was referencing of the 10 or 11 that made it, it's a moot point about their weight seeing that it's right down the middle basically.

10% of all 4-stars or more who weight 218+

1 in 10 make it.

Guess I misread the article.

What's the ratio of all 4 star linebackers from the state of Texas? Only provide if you have it off-hand, not asking for a deep dig.

This needs to be updated

The 5 stars.

2006 - Sergio Kindle (Texas)
2013 - Mike Mitchell (Ohio State)
2015 - Malik Jefferson (Texas)
2016 - Erick Fowler (Texas)
2017 - Baron Browning (Ohio State)

Active Players: 2019 Marcel Brooks (LSU) and 2021 Clayton Smith (Oklahoma)

Breakdown

* Three of the five players (60.0%) were drafted by NFL teams: Sergio Kindle (2nd round), Malik Jefferson (3rd round) and Baron Browning (3rd round)

* Of the other two linebackers that didn't have NFL careers, both proved to be historically bad busts, as neither even made a single tackle at Texas (Fowler) and Ohio State (Mitchell), respectively.

* Brooks is currently playing wide receiver at TCU and is going to be regarded as one of the biggest busts of the 2019 recruiting year.

* On a personal level, I've graded 8 linebackers from Texas since 1997 as five-star prospects: 2001 Derrick Johnson (Texas), Kindle, 2007 Keenan Robinson (Texas), 2010 Tevin Jackson, 2011 Steve Edmond, Jefferson, Fowler and Browning. The hit percentage of players from that group that was drafted by NFL teams is 62.5%.

The High 4 Stars:

2006 - Michael Morgan (USC)
2010 - Tevin Jackson (Texas)
2011 - Steve Edmond (Texas)

Active Players: 2020 Drew Sanders (Alabama) and 2022 Harold Perkins (Texas A&M)

Breakdown

* None of the three players (0.0%) were drafted by NFL teams:

* Personally, I'm 0 for 7 on high four stars since 1997. It's ugly. Here's the list: 1997 Mike Clay (Missouri), 1997 Everick Rawls (Texas), 1999 Devon Davis (Tennessee), 2002 Marvin Byrdsong (Mississippi State), 2002 Aaron Harris (Texas), 2005 Chris Brown (Texas), 2016 Jeffrey McCulloch (Texas). Of this group, Harris was at least an all-American at Texas and qualifies as one of those rare standout college players that was viewed as value-less by NFL teams. Byrdsong and Rawls were solid college players.

Mid 4 Stars

2006 - Anthony Lewis (Texas A&M)
2006 - Jared Norton (Texas)
2007 - Keenan Robinson (Texas)
2007 - Derrick Stephens (Texas A&M)
2008 - Justin Johnson (Oklahoma)
2009 - Tom Wort (Oklahoma)
2013 - Deoundrei Davis (Texas)
2014 - Zach Whitley (UCLA)
2014 - Otaro Alaka (Texas A&M)
2015 - Richard Moore (Texas A&M)
2015 - Anthony Wheeler (Texas)
2017 - Anthony Hines (Texas A&M)
2018 - Alston Orji (Vanderbilt)

Active Players: 2017 Levi Jones (USC), 2020 Josh White (LSU), 2021 Kendrick Blackshire (Alabama) and 2022 Kobie McKenzie (Oklahoma)

Breakdown

* One of the 13 players (7.7%) was drafted by NFL teams: Robinson (4th round)

* Two others have played in the NFL: Alaka and Hines

* Of the other 10 linebackers that didn't have NFL careers, you'd have to say that Norton and Wheeler were the best of the bunch and neither were ever full-time starters.

* Jones transferred from USC to NC State and is hoping to be drafted this spring, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz about him that I can find. White is currently in the Portal and has emerged as a target for the Longhorns. Blackshire was used exclusively on special teams as a freshman in 2021.

This needs to be updated

The 5 stars.

2006 - Sergio Kindle (Texas)
2013 - Mike Mitchell (Ohio State)
2015 - Malik Jefferson (Texas)
2016 - Erick Fowler (Texas)
2017 - Baron Browning (Ohio State)

Active Players: 2019 Marcel Brooks (LSU) and 2021 Clayton Smith (Oklahoma)

Breakdown

* Three of the five players (60.0%) were drafted by NFL teams: Sergio Kindle (2nd round), Malik Jefferson (3rd round) and Baron Browning (3rd round)

* Of the other two linebackers that didn't have NFL careers, both proved to be historically bad busts, as neither even made a single tackle at Texas (Fowler) and Ohio State (Mitchell), respectively.

* Brooks is currently playing wide receiver at TCU and is going to be regarded as one of the biggest busts of the 2019 recruiting year.

* On a personal level, I've graded 8 linebackers from Texas since 1997 as five-star prospects: 2001 Derrick Johnson (Texas), Kindle, 2007 Keenan Robinson (Texas), 2010 Tevin Jackson, 2011 Steve Edmond, Jefferson, Fowler and Browning. The hit percentage of players from that group that was drafted by NFL teams is 62.5%.

The High 4 Stars:

2006 - Michael Morgan (USC)
2010 - Tevin Jackson (Texas)
2011 - Steve Edmond (Texas)

Active Players: 2020 Drew Sanders (Alabama) and 2022 Harold Perkins (Texas A&M)

Breakdown

* None of the three players (0.0%) were drafted by NFL teams:

* Personally, I'm 0 for 7 on high four stars since 1997. It's ugly. Here's the list: 1997 Mike Clay (Missouri), 1997 Everick Rawls (Texas), 1999 Devon Davis (Tennessee), 2002 Marvin Byrdsong (Mississippi State), 2002 Aaron Harris (Texas), 2005 Chris Brown (Texas), 2016 Jeffrey McCulloch (Texas). Of this group, Harris was at least an all-American at Texas and qualifies as one of those rare standout college players that was viewed as value-less by NFL teams. Byrdsong and Rawls were solid college players.

Mid 4 Stars

2006 - Anthony Lewis (Texas A&M)
2006 - Jared Norton (Texas)
2007 - Keenan Robinson (Texas)
2007 - Derrick Stephens (Texas A&M)
2008 - Justin Johnson (Oklahoma)
2009 - Tom Wort (Oklahoma)
2013 - Deoundrei Davis (Texas)
2014 - Zach Whitley (UCLA)
2014 - Otaro Alaka (Texas A&M)
2015 - Richard Moore (Texas A&M)
2015 - Anthony Wheeler (Texas)
2017 - Anthony Hines (Texas A&M)
2018 - Alston Orji (Vanderbilt)

Active Players: 2017 Levi Jones (USC), 2020 Josh White (LSU), 2021 Kendrick Blackshire (Alabama) and 2022 Kobie McKenzie (Oklahoma)

Breakdown

* One of the 13 players (7.7%) was drafted by NFL teams: Robinson (4th round)

* Two others have played in the NFL: Alaka and Hines

* Of the other 10 linebackers that didn't have NFL careers, you'd have to say that Norton and Wheeler were the best of the bunch and neither were ever full-time starters.

* Jones transferred from USC to NC State and is hoping to be drafted this spring, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz about him that I can find. White is currently in the Portal and has emerged as a target for the Longhorns. Blackshire was used exclusively on special teams as a freshman in 2021.

TY.

So basically, all 4 star linebackers from Texas have a fairly low hit rate if I am reading this right. I was intrigued by the extra data point of weight due to this being a thing (height/weight) for other positions like D-End, but from reading what I have, that appears to go either way for linebackers.

TY.

So basically, all 4 star linebackers from Texas have a fairly low hit rate if I am reading this right. I was intrigued by the extra data point of weight due to this being a thing (height/weight) for other positions like D-End, but from reading what I have, that appears to go either way for linebackers.
Yes, but the hit rates are even lower than the already low hit rates.

Four-star linebackers of that size hit at rates of high three-star players at all positions nationally.

Reactions: Shotgun30Horn
He's gonna have to swim on his own very soon.

yep, and being part of the 1996 champion team will only buy him so much leeway. i hope UK didn't go for the "our guy" deal too hard. Alabama went outside to get DeBoer. Pope only has 5 years as HC at a mid-major, BYU and a good stint at Utah Valley but good isn't good enough at UK. the upside is Pope should certainly know what expectations are at UK and if he's able to win big at UK he's only 51 so he could have a long successful run. Calipari was coach for 15 years, pretty sure that's the second longest run other than Rupp himself who coached for 41 years at UK.

gonna get in touch with my buddy who's a diehard UK fan and see what he thinks of Pope as UK's new coach. one thing he made clear he's not sad to see "Coach Pretty Hair" as he called Calipari go!

yep, and being part of the 1996 champion team will only buy him so much leeway. i hope UK didn't go for the "our guy" deal too hard. Alabama went outside to get DeBoer. Pope only has 5 years as HC at a mid-major, BYU and a good stint at Utah Valley but good isn't good enough at UK. the upside is Pope should certainly know what expectations are at UK and if he's able to win big at UK he's only 51 so he could have a long successful run. Calipari was coach for 15 years, pretty sure that's the second longest run other than Rupp himself who coached for 41 years at UK.

gonna get in touch with my buddy who's a diehard UK fan and see what he thinks of Pope as UK's new coach. one thing he made clear he's not sad to see "Coach Pretty Hair" as he called Calipari go!
It was time for change, but hiring the right coach is hard, man.

It was time for change, but hiring the right coach is hard, man.

oh yeah. Cal's approach worked in the early days of "one and done" but he was certainly getting diminished returns in recent years. even with a NC banner to his name getting bounced twice in a row by a 15th seed in the first round with a second round exit in between doesn't play well at UK. and he had the first losing season at UK since Eddie Sutton in 88-89.

all of my UK buddies are happy to see Cal go. what they think of Pope i don't know yet. probably split on it.

i also think Cal decided on an exit strategy to avoid another disappointing season where he'd certainly have been fired and save UK from having to payout 30 million. the Arkansas job has enough upside to take it and exit UK on his terms and he owes UK a lot for his tenure there. as Dan Wetzel said last week it's a rare Win/Win/Win for Cal, UK and Arkansas.

Last edited:
Considering all the factors in that Holloway Gaethe fight, I think it might be one of if not the best sports moments of all time. Certainly combat sports.

Reactions: Ketchum
oh yeah. Cal's approach worked in the early days of "one and done" but he was certainly getting diminished returns in recent years. even with a NC banner to his name getting bounced twice in a row by a 15th seed in the first round doesn't play well at UK. and he had the first losing season at UK since Eddie Sutton in 88-89.

all of my UK buddies are happy to see Cal go. what they think of Pope i don't know yet. probably split on it.

i also think Cal decided on an exit strategy to avoid another disappointing season where he'd certainly have been fired and save UK from having to payout 30 million. the Arkansas job has enough upside to take it and exit UK on his terms and he owes UK a lot for his tenure there. as Dan Wetzel said last week it's a rare Win/Win/Win for Cal, UK and Arkansas.
Cal was good at NIL before it was legal and out in the open.

• Haha
Reactions: SR60
10. WR - Johntay Cook
9. WR - Isaiah Bond
8. Edge - Ethan Burke
7. Edge -- Trey Moore
6. Edge - Barryn Sorrell
5. RB - Jaydon Blue
4. CB - Malik Muhammad
3. LB - Anthony Hill
2. QB - Quinn Ewers
1. LT - Kelvin Banks

===========================================

If 3 of the top ten players on the team are edge rushers (and another edge rusher is a true freshman who will probably get better and better as the season goes on) how much better should we expect the pass rush to be this year than last year, or years prior?

oh yeah. Cal's approach worked in the early days of "one and done" but he was certainly getting diminished returns in recent years. even with a NC banner to his name getting bounced twice in a row by a 15th seed in the first round with a second round exit in between doesn't play well at UK. and he had the first losing season at UK since Eddie Sutton in 88-89.

It was their Mack Brown 2013 moment in history

10. WR - Johntay Cook
9. WR - Isaiah Bond
8. Edge - Ethan Burke
7. Edge -- Trey Moore
6. Edge - Barryn Sorrell
5. RB - Jaydon Blue
4. CB - Malik Muhammad
3. LB - Anthony Hill
2. QB - Quinn Ewers
1. LT - Kelvin Banks

===========================================

If 3 of the top ten players on the team are edge rushers (and another edge rusher is a true freshman who will probably get better and better as the season goes on) how much better should we expect the pass rush to be this year than last year, or years prior?
Measurably better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT