ADVERTISEMENT

ND Game.....

Rooster

Jun 13, 2001
Las Vegas issued a opening line of ND by 9 over the Longhorns.
Considering they aren't the power house they used to be
says a bunch for Longhorn expectations this year.

Considering this game is in Southbend, that is not a big number. I am surprised it is not larger. Vegas must believe in CS....I know I do.

I don't think this will be our year to be back in the National conversation, but our time is coming, and soon. There is a train coming......

Reactions: HornDrummer
Las Vegas issued a opening line of ND by 9 over the Longhorns.
Considering they aren't the power house they used to be
says a bunch for Longhorn expectations this year.
Lol. Does it? 3 is the typical minimum for a home team and I believe the line is more like 7.5... Sounds like they didn't want to put too much love into the Irish and are hoping to get some Texas money on the board to move the line.

You gamble bro?

The line I saw (5 Dimes) opened with ND favored by 12.5 and I believe is around that still.

Given the standard 3 points for home field, Vegas has ND as a 10 point favorite at a neutral site and would favor ND by a TD even if the game was at Texas.

Notre Dame hasn't looked great in openers under Kelly, but we're 3-0 I'm out last 3 openers with an average margin of victory of 30+ points...do that's not to bad.
Opponents weren't great, but weren't FCS either (Purdue, Rice, Temple)

I think ND wins, but whether or not they cover comes down to the consistency of Texas's OL and QB

At this point, Texas offense is a total mystery. If you get the offense that ended the year against Arkansas then that line is very conservative. If we have improved as much as I'm hearing, then I would take Texas and the points.

I'm no gambler, but even if I were, I probably wouldn't touch this game either way.

Reactions: hammer horn
ND is going to be a more run oriented read option team. Zaire has got a fantastic arm (see the 65 yard in the air pass to Fuller) from blue gold game. His arm is just as strong as Golson's, and not as accurate, but he's a better runner.

Offense should be really good. Top 5 receiving corps according to some services, top 5 oline according to almost everyone.

Defense has a good LB and CB/Safety group, dline is still a bit of a mistery but the potential to be better than just good is there. If we control the line and run the ball with some play action mixed in, I think ND wins and covers the spread. Let's see what happens. Good luck to the Longhorns. I hope the more deserving team wins.

I hope were good too! We're looking at GA Tech, Clemson, and USC as the most difficult games of a pretty difficult schedule. Openers are always tough, but I think most ND fans expect to win based on returning starters ( ND has 19) and talent

They did have the #1 defense in the SEC (statistically speaking anyways) going for them.....and if it wasn't for 3 big plays by LSU it wouldn't have been close. That offense was horrible.

Yup, horrific offense and a 9th overall D based off the lack of offense they played. They were at least pretty good on D.

And we still ran it for 263 on 50 something carries...we've got a great oline this year. I just hope Kelly is smart enough to take advantage

I'll say this, I think the Notre Dame game is much more winnable than people think.

1-ND returns a lot, but they weren't a very good team last year. They finished 8-5 and these are the teams they beat. Rice 7-5, Michigan 5-7, Purdue 3-9, Syracuse 3-9, Stanford 8-5, North Carolina 6-7, Navy 8-5, and LSU 8-5. In other words, they didn't beat a team last year that had fewer than 5 losses.

2-They remind me a lot of OU a couple years ago after the beat Alabama. A lot of hype around ND simply because they beat LSU in their bowl game. That LSU team wasn't very good last year, and they were in the middle of a messy divorce with Chavis.

3-Malik Zaire, ND's QB, is relatively inexperienced. A QB that's only thrown for 266 career yards sure is getting a lot of hype.

Reactions: hammer horn
That's the ND hype machine for you. This team is better on a talented level than the 2012 squad that made it to the bus championship and got hammered.

The whole bugger, stronger, faster thing would apply. I think Zaire gets the hype because ND fans have been longing for the Tony Rice type for a while and I think his style of play somewhat forces Kelly into a more read option style, which would play to ND'S strengths anyways...

I don't know too much about Texas other than what I read, but based on that, and the fact that ND plays at home...I'd expect a win. ND has done pretty good in the last 2 or 3 openers. Well see how it pans out.

How good is your offense/defense supposed to be? I was reading that there were questions at QB and certain parts of the defense?

If Heard takes the job from Swoopes, Texas beats ND.

That is the whole situation isn't it? We don't know what the situation is at QB! We know so damned little it is unnerving. It is possible that Heard is in fact ready, but Swoopes is improved to the point that a change won't be done. Wouldn't it be great that instead of being a problem, that the QB position is suddenly a position of strength.
I don't know that we learned a damned thing in the spring game. All I know is that I am ready for some football!

Reactions: cornbread3604
It should be a good game, but I think ND has more talent at the skill positions and will win. Definitely not trolling just stating an opinion based on what I've seen from the spring games, etc. I'll have a better opinion after the first few drives by both teams hahah. Texas should definitely be improved from last year though

Reactions: oldhorn2
Texas should definitely be improved from last year though
If we are still contending in the 4th quarter, we'll have turned the corner on last years bowl disaster.

We've definitely got a puncher's chance, and I hope we give you a good game, and one with no serious injuries on either side.

Hook 'em

Trust me, ND is not tsking this game lightly. Their sole focus is not stinking it up in the opener against a name opponent. If Texas comes in and blows ND out, not much to argue against, but solely based on returning players, skill position, etc, I'd hope thst experience ends up being the deciding factor in an ND victory.

And as far as injuries go, I absolutely agree. No injuries please to either side. Players can get revved up the first game of the year

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
Trust me, ND is not tsking this game lightly. Their sole focus is not stinking it up in the opener against a name opponent. If Texas comes in and blows ND out, not much to argue against, but solely based on returning players, skill position, etc, I'd hope thst experience ends up being the deciding factor in an ND victory.

And as far as injuries go, I absolutely agree. No injuries please to either side. Players can get revved up the first game of the year

13 posts to get to this one - so far you seem like a decent poster with a logical and reasonable head on your shoulders. Most Domers are pains in the butt. Hope to see you stick around and post more here bud.

Here is what I don't like about this match up.

1. Texas is really young at linebacker and the offense ND runs will put a lot of pressure on the linebackers and defensive ends to make the proper reads. I feel good about our DE but linebackers scare me.

2. Our Oline is still young and raw plus it's the first game installing a new offense. That is not a good combination for success

3. We are going to need our QB to step up and make plays with both his arm and legs. Can he do it?

Here is what I do like

1. Texas has the dine to put a lot of pressure on the qb and force him to get rid of the ball out of rythum. Texas also has the DBs to shut down the receivers. I like our chances when we put them in long yardage situations

2. If a defense is not used to seeing a hurry up spread, it can cause a lot of mistakes and opportunities for easy scores. It's not a offense you want to see the first game of the year, especially when you have young DBs

The fact is, Texas is going to have to play above themselves and Notre Dame is going to need to make some mistakes for us to pull this off

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT