ADVERTISEMENT

ORANGE VS WHITE SPRING GAME THREAD

Based off of how many passes sir?
He just put two back to back 50+ yard passes right on the money. Yes it was only 2 passes but I’ve not seen Quinn be that accurate on deep balls since really the bans game.

He is definitely WAY more accurate on the deep ball than Quinn has been
Sark even said besides playbook one thing Murphy has to work on is his deep ball accuracy. He had a great pass today. But often over throws WRs

He just put two back to back 50+ yard passes right on the money. Yes it was only 2 passes but I’ve not seen Quinn be that accurate on deep balls since really the bans game.
Quinn had a beautiful 40+ pass to worthy in the first?

And 2 passes you're ready to say he's been "WAY" more accurate?

Quinn hit on really his only one of today

Quinn hit on really his only one of today
It was a good pass. It looked like worthy maybe had to adjust to it.

It’s no secret sark wants to throw the ball down the field and he has the weapons to do that on the outside for maybe the first time since he’s been here. The guy that plays QB for him is going to have to complete those balls

It was a good pass. It looked like worthy maybe had to adjust to it.

It’s no secret sark wants to throw the ball down the field and he has the weapons to do that on the outside for maybe the first time since he’s been here. The guy that plays QB for him is going to have to complete those balls
Go back and watch the worthy pass. Worthy should have walked in the end zone but ran out of bounds. Murphy looks good. But he's facing 2s and 3s. Let's just tap tap tap those breaks

Quinn will probably win the job, but Murphy is going to push him in fall camp.

Looking at the WR’s today I can see why Thompson decided to transfer. Not sure he would have saw the field much.

Go back and watch the worthy pass. Worthy should have walked in the end zone but ran out of bounds. Murphy looks good. But he's facing 2s and 3s. Let's just tap tap tap those breaks
Sure. He’s playing against the twos, but he’s also playing with the two’s

Ewers had a good game. Good decisions.
Murphy has a cannon and will definitely be a good back up and push ewers
Mitchell looks like a beast at wr
Whittington is clutch in the slot
RBs are going to be committee this year

Reactions: westx
Look out for Jontay Cook and Deandre Moore. They got open deep today Moore dropped his, but I could see that happening a lot in the regular season with so many other guys to account for.

For a Spring scrimmage, Murphy and Mitchell were the highlights. However, there’s nothing complicated being thrown out there by the defense and offense. You also have 3rd and 4th stringers mixed in on both sides which also disrupts the flow and timing. In other words, the players who played great aren’t necessarily going to be consistently great like today and those who didn’t play as well aren’t necessarily going to be as subpar as they showed today. The coaches have been watching and evaluating players for the past 6 weeks and they know what each player is capable of doing and what they need to be successful.

Murphy = raw
Quinn still needs to get well. I think he still has a nagging "something".
Manning throws exactly like his uncle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hookedonit
Murphy = raw
Quinn still needs to get well. I think ge still has a nagging "something".
Manning throws exactly like his uncle.
Agreed. I think the sternum / shoulder thing he got against Bama did something to him. He made some good throws but before the Bama hit, the 30 yard out he threw looked like Murphy’s ball down the middle.
He hasn’t had that snap on his ball since he came back. Hopefully he’s learned to only use it when he needs it but I don’t think he’s that advanced yet.
Footwork was 1000 times better than last year but arm strength is different. Talked to a buddy that’s been to a few practices this spring and he said he doesn’t hear the same velocity out of Q thet he heard last year.

I guess I watched a different game. I thought Quinn had plenty of zip on his balls. I also saw some better footwork. Overall I thought he looked solid. He had a couple of throws to Mitchell that had a bunch of zip on them.

Footwork was night and day difference from last year til today and I said he made some good throws. All I’m saying is his velocity hasn’t returned to where it was pre Alabama cheap shot. What we saw today wins a bunch of games but he definitely hasn’t got the gas he had last year. That doesn’t mean he sucks. He had elite arm talent to begin with so it’s not like he’s gonna turn into a journeyman. It just means that it appears the injury changed him either physically or mentally.

I guess I watched a different game. I thought Quinn had plenty of zip on his balls. I also saw some better footwork. Overall I thought he looked solid. He had a couple of throws to Mitchell that had a bunch of zip on them.
His footwork is improving. No doubt. He doesn't look like he's "heavy" back in the pocket. He gets on his toes a little better. Still room for improvement.

But his arm-- watch this video again-

At the 24 second mark. Watch the throw from the 22- inside the far hash- to the sideline at the OTHER 49. That is a 29-30 yard out from near the far hash.
Do you know how impossible it is to defend that? I know you know. Nobody can defend that. Unless the corner knows EXACTLY where that ball is being thrown and just goes and stands there, you can't defend that. Not at any level. Deion Sanders couldn't defend that.

Now be honest- did you see a throw of THAT calibre today from Quinn. That was one of the most BEAUTIFUL throws I've seen a college kid make in years. Absolutely PERFECT in every aspect. I literally felt my heart leap from my chest when he threw it.
I'm sorry, but he didn't make a throw like that today. At least I didn't see one. At one point, he was capable of it. I'm just afraid he may never get that back.

RB's

Blue
Wood
Red
Baxter

Blue and Wood looked really quick. If we can get the IOL to block, those 2 backs are going to be deadly.

To think, some here said losing Blue was no big deal.....

His footwork is improving. No doubt. He doesn't look like he's "heavy" back in the pocket. He gets on his toes a little better. Still room for improvement.

At the 24 second mark. Watch the throw from the 22- inside the far hash- to the sideline at the OTHER 49. That is a 29-30 yard out from near the far hash.
Do you know how impossible it is to defend that? I know you know. Nobody can defend that. Unless the corner knows EXACTLY where that ball is being thrown and just goes and stands there, you can't defend that. Not at any level. Deion Sanders couldn't defend that.

Now be honest- did you see a throw of THAT calibre today from Quinn. That was one of the most BEAUTIFUL throws I've seen a college kid make in years. Absolutely PERFECT in every aspect. I literally felt my heart leap from my chest when he threw it.
I'm sorry, but he didn't make a throw like that today. At least I didn't see one. At one point, he was capable of it. I'm just afraid he may never get that back.
Ya, he looked good today but you are correct. That zip just isn't there. I wonder why.

Spring game don’t mean jackshyt. It’s mostly scripted, nothing of note is put on film and everyone is just trying not to get hurt. It’s mostly a big marketing/hype day for the fans and all the real work and progress will be shown in the fall when things matter.

I liked what I saw from Murphy but on the two big plays he made they were against walk-on DB JaFarr Johnson.

The big question for us is will we be able to consistently run the ball effectively. We have a bunch of talented backs so it’s likely a committee approach this season. We need one or two of those guys to step up in a big way and take the RB1 job. Quinn will also need to be a runner more often and take what the defense gives him. If we can’t consistently run the ball, Sark won’t be able to set up big plays in the passing game.

If Quinn’s injury in the Bama game is still bothering him 8 months later… that’s kind of an issue.

We have 3 great QB’s. The most talent at that position in decades. QE looks much more comfortable and decisive. Malik has immense potential and will continue to improve. A year ago, QE and Malik looked like Arch today. They have the benefit of a full year in the system. I can’t wait to see Arch after learning and growing in this offense for a full year. To me, he looks like a very young Joe Burrow. I recall Burrow struggling big time at Ohio State as an early enrollee freshman. We need to let Arch focus on learning for the next year. Let him and Malik battle for the job in 2024.

We have 3 great QB’s. The most talent at that position in decades. QE looks much more comfortable and decisive. Malik has immense potential and will continue to improve. A year ago, QE and Malik looked like Arch today. They have the benefit of a full year in the system. I can’t wait to see Arch after learning and growing in this offense for a full year. To me, he looks like a very young Joe Burrow. I recall Burrow struggling big time at Ohio State as an early enrollee freshman. We need to let Arch focus on learning for the next year. Let him and Malik battle for the job in 2024.
Yeah we aren’t going to need anything from Arch in 2024 which will be good for him.

I don’t need to watch anything, I’ve watched the whole game twice now. He didn’t make a throw like that Bama game because he didn’t throw any out routes. The only thing I needed to see was him complete a deep ball and he did that.

The most important thing I saw from him today was his decisiveness. He made all the right reads and that’s what matters the most to me. He also wasn’t just forcing the ball into X.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT