ADVERTISEMENT

Professional Wrestlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Esoteric2112:
Originally posted by GDforHC:
I thought Russo was the one that helped wwf turn the tide vs wcw?
Russo was a genius when he had a strong filter. Without that filter he is a tool. He has 30 crap ideas for every stroke of genius. He has no internal filter so without an external one he just kills everything he touches.

Plus we didn't like him on the production side because he would literally change match outcomes during the match. He would add run outs, he would go grab guys from the locker room and tell them to go to a run in without telling anyone else.

Mike
This post was edited on 5/12 2:34 PM by Esoteric2112

Typical Russo to change match outcomes mid-match. That guy is going to be responsible for destroying 2 companies. Now, I'm not really that big into conspiracies and I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe Vince told him to go F over the competition? I don't know a whole lot about Russo going from WWF to WCW or his semi-recent hiring as head writer in TNA, but I do know that he sucks.

Samoa Joe annoyed me. Actually, I haven't watched wrestling consistently in a looooonggg time, but tna seemed to be getting away from what was making them entertainin.

I don't really like his character that much, but he is a good wrestler. The things he can do at his size remind me of The Giant/The Big Show in his early WCW days doing drop kicks and such, but just more extreme. Joe's agility is very impressive for someone as big as he is.

The story in the industry is that in addition to being a hit or miss writer, Russo is lazy. He didn't like the increased workload from writing for Smackdown. He and Vince got into several arguments and slapping matches about it. Then WCW thought he was behind the Attitude era success. So in a perfect storm, Russo takes the credit, Bischoff gives him a raise to do half the work, and Vince, convinced he was the reason behind the success, didn't give him a hug and a kiss on the way out the door.

Mike

Originally posted by Esoteric2112:
The story in the industry is that in addition to being a hit or miss writer, Russo is lazy. He didn't like the increased workload from writing for Smackdown. He and Vince got into several arguments and slapping matches about it. Then WCW thought he was behind the Attitude era success. So in a perfect storm, Russo takes the credit, Bischoff gives him a raise to do half the work, and Vince, convinced he was the reason behind the success, didn't give him a hug and a kiss on the way out the door.

Mike

Interesting. I had known some of that but coming from someone who has some connections and experience it gives me a new perspective. Thanks for all of the stuff you've been posting in this thread.

Originally posted by DustinMcComas:
Fascinating thread. One of the best I've ever read.

Add to it, Dustin. You and I have had some good conversations about this stuff and I think that you could bring another voice to the conversation.

what does "shoot" mean? beat the crap out of?

Originally posted by caldonna:
If I ran TNA, the first thing I would do is fire Vince Russo. I've always hated his booking. Then I'd hire either Paul Heyman or Danny Davis (he runs Hertland) and give him the book.

I'd put the belt around Ken Anderson and set up a title feud with RVD, Matt Morgan, and AJ Styles. I'd bring in the Kings of Wrestling and Haas and Benjamin to do a program with Beer Money and then start elevating both the tv and X titles.

TNA would be pretty durn good, then.

Cg

Bingo. Heyman was in negotiations with TNA about 6 months ago, but would have to do it with Russo there and Paul wanted full control of everything but Dixie wouldn't allow that. It's too bad, really. TNA could be so much better than that crap pile that it is now.

This just makes me miss Justintv because there used to be a channel showing all Monday Night RAW episodes from 1996-2003 or so. I wish I could get a copy of each weeks Raw and Nitro episodes and relive the glory years (for me at least)

Would anyone happen to have something like that?

Originally posted by fatfootball101:
This just makes me miss Justintv because there used to be a channel showing all Monday Night RAW episodes from 1996-2003 or so. I wish I could get a copy of each weeks Raw and Nitro episodes and relive the glory years (for me at least)

I've got all of Nitro from 1995 to 1999. Still waiting on my friend to send me the other 2 years of it. I don't have Thunder or the PPV's, but you can watch all of that stuff on YouTube.

I'm sorry, I meant Chris slapped Bill. If I wrote it the other way around, I apologize.

From what I have heard from Meltzer, the title going to Jericho was Vince being Vince. He knew everyone was thinking either Dwayne or Steve, so he wanted to throw a swerve to prove that the "rags" really didn't know what happened. The fact that it elevated Jericho was a happy coincidence for Y2J. I'm sure he didn't complain.

I reember a few years back taht Joey Styles actually took out Layfield. Apperantly, Joey had gotten sick of John bullying him, and one night in Wembley arena he actually lit the fool up. The worst part: no one pulled Styles offa him. He later did the "he's lucky he caught me off guard" routine, but Styles was a lockerroom hero after that.

Cg

Apparently, Butterbean knocking out Bart Gunn was a shoot.
Thats awesome if true.

I wonder how many of the guys would of ended up in UFC/MMA type stuff had that been more prominent back in the mid 90's. I wonder how many in UFC would be wrestling now.

I'm sorry, I meant Chris slapped Bill. If I wrote it the other way around, I apologize.

From what I have heard from Meltzer, the title going to Jericho was Vince being Vince. He knew everyone was thinking either Dwayne or Steve, so he wanted to throw a swerve to prove that the "rags" really didn't know what happened. The fact that it elevated Jericho was a happy coincidence for Y2J. I'm sure he didn't complain.

I reember a few years back taht Joey Styles actually took out Layfield. Apperantly, Joey had gotten sick of John bullying him, and one night in Wembley arena he actually lit the fool up. The worst part: no one pulled Styles offa him. He later did the "he's lucky he caught me off guard" routine, but Styles was a lockerroom hero after that.

Cg

Oh My God!!!!

The Great Khali works out at the gym I go to.
That's about all I can contribute to this thread.

Originally posted by mackryan08:

I've got all of Nitro from 1995 to 1999. Still waiting on my friend to send me the other 2 years of it. I don't have Thunder or the PPV's, but you can watch all of that stuff on YouTube.
you have them in DVD?

Russo always came off as a douche to me. I'm kind of surprised that he and Hogan get along well on TNA. The documentary on Netflix that someone mentioned previously about the rice and fall of WCW made it seem like Hogan didn't like Russo, especially after a confrontation at a Bash at the Beach PPV.

I bet the Ultimate Warrior was a nut. Sting was always my favorite.

Originally posted by mackryan08:

you have them in DVD?

I've got them on an external hard drive. You can download them just about anywhere. Thunder is hard to find though.

Heh. The Anabolic Warrior is beyond crazy. Have you ever listened to his radio show?

Cg

Great book to read if any of y'all get time time is Bret Hrt: Hitman. Really bares his soul.

Heh. The Anabolic Warrior is beyond crazy. Have you ever listened to his radio show?

Cg

He has a radio show?! I feel like I've been missing out on pure gold.

I've watched The Rise and Fall of WCW a few times and I learn something new every time through. You can't let the inmates run the asylum.

Mackryan, can you put those on to dvds? I can pay you for your troubles. Or can you email me them, and I can put them on dvds?

Funny thing about Austin. He made the company tons of money, but he was a nightmare to work with. You never knew if he was even going to show up or not and if he did what condition he would be in.

I remember one night at a RAW filming he was supposed to make a run in. Well it is 5 minutes till his run in and he is a no show. He turns up a minute later, in his gear, stewed to the gills, and stumbles to the Stage Manager for his cue. She gets on the line to Patterson who comes out and sees the condition he is in and says no way you are going out there Steve. Go to the hotel and take it easy. Austin says like Hell, and just runs out (a few minutes early). He proceeds to trip twice on his way to the ring, and miss the stunner he was supposed to deliver twice. Finally he falls down, rolls out of the ring, and stumbles his way back to the back. Patterson and Austin get in a shouting match, Vince gets in on it, Paul has to restrain Austin, Austin trips and tweaks his shoulder. Finally they get Austin out, but he doesn't tell anyone about his shoulder. A month later he starts to complain about it, turns out he pulled a muscle in his shoulder and he has to miss 2 months.

Mike

Rise and Fall on Netflix by any chance?

Joey Styles the announcer dominated Bradshaw? What?

Also, even when wcw was winning, their production was nowhere close to the wwe's. As someone else put it, the wwe knew how to make 5k people look like 50k people and wcw was just the opposite. I've been to a nitro, it was loud. But when I watched it at home, it sounded awful. I don't know what it was.

Mackryan, can you put those on to dvds? I can pay you for your troubles. Or can you email me them, and I can put them on dvds?

I don't have a DVD burner currently, but I can send them to you if you'd like. Shoot me an email: atxboy512@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT