ADVERTISEMENT

Stars Matter....

So, Wickline isn't a OL guru and Watson cant make a qb?
Not in half a year. And not when 3/5 of your starting line and your starting QB disappears in game 1.

Its obvious they don't know what they are doing still...
We'll see if the new offense works with Swoopes or Heard. I think it will be much better. And they've added much depth to the OL since last year.

Go ahead and start the regressing Sumlin stuff, but let me know when Strong actually reaches 8-5 at Texas.....
Let me know when your tubby drunk wins something for the first time in his career. Strong has skins on the wall already.

Also, aggy rob, I do appreciate you trying to ignore your complete faceplant on the star issue. Very entertaining. Keep up the spin/trash talk, loser. :D

I guess stars do matter.....Stumblin sure is taking and offering a lot of 3 stars lately. Spin away aggs.

2013 5* Darius James has been given an unconditional release. There's ya another highly touted recruit that couldn't climb the 2 deep and struggled with academics.

Background
http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Darius-James-out-for-the-spring-due-to-knee-academic-issues-36401283

Didn't know who it would be but more attrition was expected. It's a shame this guy couldn't stay healthy but if he was never going to fit into Strongs program might as well let him go elsewhere and free up a scholly.

[
According to Ketch

1 in every 1.43 5 stars got drafted. 70% (.6993)

1 in every 5.16 4 stars got drafted 19% (.1938)

1 in every 13.97 3 stars got drafted 7% (.0715)

1 in every 56.47 2 stars got drafted 2% (.0177)

Since the Ags have glommed on to 3 star Charlie and ignored that Coach Strong's 2011 class put three-stars into the draft at 1 out of 2 ratio which is seven times higher than the national average I thought I'd look at the 3 four-stars from that class. 2 out 3 drafted for 66% which is 3.5 times the national average. The third 4 star was signed by Steelers to a UFA contract.

Didn't know who it would be but more attrition was expected. It's a shame this guy couldn't stay healthy but if he was never going to fit into Strongs program might as well let him go elsewhere and free up a scholly.
He wasn't on the 2 deep and wasn't a likely candidate to play in 2015, by transfering... He can start over, get healthy and have three years to play two. I wish him luck.

So, what is Rob's take on 3* recruits with 8/12 current commits to the 2016 class being just that? Hoping for that SEC bump? I'm sure a few will get it...

But..but....all these 3 stars will be high 4stars or 5stars when signing day comes..,aggy logic at its best

A team dominated by 4 Stars with some 5 Stars matters little without fabulous TEAM CHEMISTRY. Texas among others has proven this over the past handful of years. YOU have ALL the stars you need to win a NC. The problem is CHEMISTRY. I would submit that any team regularly in the recruiting top 15 -20 has the REAL potential to win a NC -- their Stars are sufficient, it's just a matter of CHEMISTRY. (and, a little luck)

and, Go Cats !! and, Hook 'em for the Wife !

Keep up the spin, aggy.

The average 247 composite rating of Strong's players from Louisville who were drafted was 0.8770. For the five Texas players drafted, it was 0.9445. Two 5-stars, two 4-stars and one 3-star at Texas, while all but three of the Louisville guys were 3-stars. 3-star Charlie indeed. :D

Strong-influenced Draft

May 4, 2015 by By Eric Nahlin

Charlie Strong. (Will Gallagher/IT)

The evaluation of college programs’ ability to identify and develop talent is in, and yet again, Charlie Strong proved himself to be one of the most capable instructors in the country. Ten players from his previous stop were selected over the 3-day NFL draft, and five players were drafted from Texas. He doesn’t get full credit for the Texas players, obviously, but he certainly helped more than he hindered.

Credit must also go to some other familiar names who followed Strong from Louisville; Vance Bedford, Shawn Watson, Brian Jean-Mary.

Let’s take a closer look at those who were drafted with a slant towards recruiting. We’ll start in Louisville first. Basically last weekend’s draft put an exclamation point on a statement we already knew; Charlie Strong is great at developing talent.

1.WR Devante Parker (Louisville, KY)

Class of 2011. Committed: 1/21/11

Recruiting: 3-star, #77 wide receiver in the nation

Drafted: Round 1, Pick 14, Miami Dolphins

Comments: A jump of 74 slots in the minds of NFL draft-think is extremely impressive. Certainly Rivals goofed this evaluation some, but Parker was properly developed and maximized while in college. It should be noted Parker held a 1st round grade entering the season but Bobby Petrino extracted more production on a per game basis than Strong/Watson ever did. Still, this isn’t about scheme but development of talent. Take note of how late Strong gained Parker’s commitment.

Reminds me of: Dorian Leonard. Outside receiver with size and solid athleticism who was a bit underrated coming out of high school (#58 wide receiver in the nation).

2.OG Jamon Brown (Louisville, KY)

Class of 2011. Committed: 12/16/09

Recruiting: : 3-star, #58 defensive tackle in the nation

Drafted: Round 3, Pick 72, St. Louis Rams

Comments: The rare early commitment for Strong. Notice anything interest? Brown was a defensive tackle who was moved to offensive tackle. He’ll play inside because he lacks length. Strong has a vision for each player and a plan to develop and utilize them.

Reminds me of: Marcus Hutchins. Defensive tackle who moved to offensive tackle. Hutchins would be a guard in the NFL if he had that type of upside (I don’t think he does).

3.OG John Miller (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 12/10/10

Recruiting: : 3-star, not nationally rated

Drafted: Round 3, pick 81, Buffalo Bills

Comments: A late cycle take whose best offer was Kansas State. Miller’s an athletic, undersized guard who hails from Strong’s recruiting stomping grounds.

Reminds me of: Sedrick Flowers.

4.DE Lorenzo Mauldin (Atlanta, GA)

Class of 2011. Committed: 5/17/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, not nationally rated

Drafted: Round 3, pick 82, New York Jets

Comments: Mauldin will play OLB in the NFL but was a defensive end in college. He was projected as a 1st rounder entering the year but slid to the 3rd. Notice when he signed, way after NSD. Charlie Strong is the ultimate late cycle recruiter.

Reminds me of: Shiro Davis. I’m hoping Shiro has a big year and then sheds weight immediately following the season to work as an OLB at his pro day.

5.S James Sample (Sacramento, CA) – TRANSFER

Class of 2011. Signed with Washington out of high school.

Recruiting: 4-star, #9 safety in the nation

Drafted: Round 4, pick 104, Jacksonville Jaguars

Comments: After playing two seasons at U-Dub, Sample went Juco for a year before landing at UL in April of 2014. This is a Petrino player, not a Strong player.

6. DE Deiontrez Mount (Fort Walton Beach, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 1/14/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, #34 weakside defensive end in the nation

Drafted: Round 3, pick 177, Tennessee Titans

Comments: Exited high school at 6-foot-5, 215 pounds. Enters the NFL at 6-foot-4 3/8 and 250 pounds. A late cycle commitment, Mount looks like an outside linebacker in the NFL.

Reminds me of: Naashon Hughes from a size and athleticism standpoint. Hughes must become more physical.

7.CB Charles Gaines (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011: 12/10/10

Recruiting: : 3-star, #43 wide receiver in the nation

Drafted: Round 6, pick 189, Cleveland Browns

Comments: Another position switch (and late cycle commitment), Gaines was physical enough to make the transition from receiver to undersized cornerback. If he sticks, he’ll play in sub packages and on special teams.

Reminds me of: Duke Thomas, a former high school quarterback.

8.DE B.J. Dubose (Oakland Park, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 2/2/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, #24 strongside defensive end

Drafted: Round 6, pick 193, Minnesota Vikings

Comments: Dubose picked UL over Miami late. Came in as a big defensive end and leaves as a swing player who can play inside and out.

Reminds me of: No current Longhorns.

9.S Gerod Holliman (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 10/8/10

Recruiting: 4-star, #4 safety in the nation

Drafted: Round 7, pick 239, Pittsburgh Steelers

Comments: Holliman’s draft position doesn’t jibe with his high school reputation or the fact he won the Thorpe award in 2014 after recording 14 interceptions on the season. I’d have to believe Holliman would have been drafted higher had Strong stuck around. The NFL is about translatable talent more than production. Holliman didn’t always give max effort and missed far too many tackles. There’s no denying his instincts, however.

Reminds me of: No current Longhorns.

10. TE Gerald Christian (West Palm Beach, FL) – TRANSFER

Class of 2010. Signed with Florida out of high school.

Recruiting: 4-star, #2 tight end in the nation

Drafted: Round 7, pick 256 (Mr. Irrelevant), Arizona Cardinals

Comments: Had 28 receptions for 426 yards in Strong’s final season meaning they were scheming that guy open. 15.2 yards per reception is good for a wide receiver let alone a tight end.

Reminds me of: Andrew Beck

Some other interesting points:

– Between the NFL draft class of 2014 and 2015, 10 players Strong recruited from the class of 2011 were drafted. That class held just 21 players!

– That Louisville class was ranked #29. Texas was #3. What would retroactive recruiting grades do to those rankings? I have an idea. Texas experienced more attrition whether through injury or transfer than the impressive number Strong had drafted from the class of 2011.

– Just a defensive coach? Of those 10 players, four were on offense.

– One player who projected to offense ended up on defense and vice versa.

– I’ve lamented time and time again how Strong likes to finish recruiting classes aggressively. Remember this stat next time you’re worried about a position grouping. In 2011, Louisville took three defensive ends, all of which were drafted in 2015. The earliest one committed was 1/14/11.

– Often times Louisville was a player’s best offer, or at least one of them. This underlines Strong’s ability to not only identify player’s who are nowhere near their ceiling, but also his understanding of how they fit his scheme.

– Charlie Strong has never landed a class with anywhere near the amount of talent as 2015. No wonder he was so happy on National Signing Day. NFL evaluators and Texas fans will come to know that class as the Key Strong Pipeline.

Well heck, based on these strong observations, we should go ahead and award the CFB Playoff Championship trophy to the Texas Longhorns.

He just went 6-7 with five players that were drafted in the worst power five conference. Give me a break!

I know this was already said, but Texas entered game 1 of last season with a veteran QB and a veteran oline and ended game 1 of last season with a freshmen QB and losing 3 out of 5 of those linemen. Where would the aggsy offense been last year of they lost that? Answer: About where Texas was. But then again, they would have also been there if without all that if they had to play the Texas non-conference schedule.

So, Wickline isn't a OL guru and Watson cant make a qb? Strong knew Ash is a hit away from going out so not having a qb ready is ridiculous. Its obvious they don't know what they are doing still with the way they continue to ignore the problem and not bring in a transfer qb. Horn excuses are ridiculous and you guys are already giving him a pass on being a 500 coach after two seasons. That is even worse. Go ahead and start the regressing Sumlin stuff, but let me know when Strong actually reaches 8-5 at Texas.....

A veteran offensive line can make any coach and any offense look good, just ask Sumlin; hell just ask Mack. When he came to Texas that is what he inherited and look how that turned out. Mack got some momentum and turned Texas into a juggernaut. Texas ended the season last year with 8 offensive linemen and 1 of those was a converted DT. Wickline gets a pass for last year.

Swoops from the first of the year to the end made huge strides, he didn't end strong, but some of that is on him and some is on the oline. The games he did well were also the games our oline played well (go figure). But the QB I saw in the spring is miles ahead of the one I saw last season, that is all on Watson. Watson is one of the best QB developers in the country, no one doubts that. Can he run a offense, now that is the question we Longhorns are still debating.

The only thing you aggsy have to hang your hat on is our record, and you completely ignore that 4 of your 8 wins came against teams Cedar Creek high school could have beaten. Yes, you played a tougher conference schedule and look how you fared in that tougher league. You were bent over by every good team and dry ****ed.

Your conference record is exactly what we thought it would be when you left the Big 12. One day you will admit that your fluke win over Alabama was just that a fluke and nothing more. Your great recruiting class is mediocre in your own conference, and it shows in results. Sumlin in year 4 is picked almost dead last in his division. I will be shocked if you move above 8 wins in the next 3 years.

I will be equally shocked if by year 4 Strong hasn't moved above 10 wins.

Well heck, based on these strong observations, we should go ahead and award the CFB Playoff Championship trophy to the Texas Longhorns.
giphy.gif

I know this was already said, but Texas entered game 1 of last season with a veteran QB and a veteran oline and ended game 1 of last season with a freshmen QB and losing 3 out of 5 of those linemen.
I have yet to see a single aggy admit to this obvious truth. Completely dishonest group of people.

10/14 aggy commits are now 3 star or worse. The narrative has certainly shifted for aggys in terms of 3 star players.

Per Rivals it's 11/14 for now. He may be sorta Black Mack, but Mack filled up early with 4*s. Aggy's now think he's the great evaluator because most of them hold a Strong offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: utisdabomb12
Per Rivals it's 11/14 for now. He may be sorta Black Mack, but Mack filled up early with 4*s. Aggy's now think he's the great evaluator because most of them hold a Strong offer.

It's way too early to tell what will happen. Sumlin's 7-1 start goes against what many horns said in February.

Dude, it's a bunch of 3's and some will likely get a bump but, Chuck has a shit ton of offers out. The H2H battle is no longer going to be like the Mack years princess. Your stud OL is eying two of your Western foes. Bigger things to worry about than h2h with The U of T AND YOUR 3.2 AVERAGE ON 14 PLAYERS. The new narrative in Aggsyland, Sumlin is a great evaluator....

I'd brag if we were talking high 4's and 5's. Otherwise, there are some good prospects with legit upside if they're developed.

Last edited:
aggy should be worrying about beating other $EC west teams for top recruits. Not Texas. They play against those teams, not the Longhorns.

It's way too early to tell what will happen. Sumlin's 7-1 start goes against what many horns said in February.

Never have and still don't care about H2H. Saban loses the most H2H battles in the country because he offers so many players, I don't think he cares.

Keep rolling with the H2H numbers as "black Mack" keeps landing early 3 star commits.

This is what's hilarious about aggys, they care more about commits having Texas offers than actually being good players. When Robinson committed all aggys cared about was whether he had a Texas offer.

Never have and still don't care about H2H. Saban loses the most H2H battles in the country because he offers so many players, I don't think he cares.

Keep rolling with the H2H numbers as "black Mack" keeps landing early 3 star commits.

This is what's hilarious about aggys, they care more about commits having Texas offers than actually being good players. When Robinson committed all aggys cared about was whether he had a Texas offer.

Actually, many Ags read horn responses to the Robinson commitment. He was a big blow to your fox position. Especially after the commitments that followed. Based on Leans and CBs, your left with hoping Thornton doesn't go LSU. After that it will be the two star from Florida.

Let's be honest, many of your important offer sections on 247 are filled with players committed to other schools. Most are down to the backup offer players.

Every time I need a good laugh I come read the aggy comments here. I mean what other fanbase is so excited about their team who is picked last in their division and who for years has touted the #WRTS stupidity yet have most of their 2016 class are 3 stars but of course now having 3 stars is good until it's not. LOL

Reactions: utisdabomb12
Aggiebrent shouldn't you be taking a break from posting dumba$$ $hit since TCU took care of that overrated "we were number 1" baseball team of yours. Take your a$$ to Aggieyell and leave this forum to LONGHORNS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT