ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Leaving the Big XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
son of a b... i have some calls and apologies to make for giving misinformation.

massybv & GDforHC-

Apologies to you guys. That's the nature of a rick roll though, to trick others into believing something is real. This was my first, and probably last RR. That said, if you can tell me you've never intentionally deceived/tricked someone in person or on the board for a laugh, then I'll take down the post. But, I think we all know there isn't an adult alive that hasn't "tricked" someone at some point in time on a day other than April Fools. The point of the faux article wasn't to get laughs or be funny (though that seems to be a lot of the response it received), but rather to spur discussion of a hypothetical departure from the Big XII. Judging by the threads on the board, that mission was accomplished. That innumerable OBs think it was the best rick roll in OB history is simply unintended gravy. Again, my apologies. The article certainly wasn't intended to be mean spirited or to screw with anyone. Hook 'Em!

= Ice Man =

Originally posted by = Ice Man =:
massybv & GDforHC-

Apologies to you guys. That's the nature of a rick roll though, to trick others into believing something is real. This was my first, and probably last RR. That said, if you can tell me you've never intentionally deceived/tricked someone in person or on the board for a laugh, then I'll take down the post. But, I think we all know there isn't an adult alive that hasn't "tricked" someone at some point in time on a day other than April Fools. The point of the faux article wasn't to get laughs or be funny (though that seems to be a lot of the response it received), but rather to spur discussion of a hypothetical departure from the Big XII. Judging by the threads on the board, that mission was accomplished. That innumerable OBs think it was the best rick roll in OB history is simply unintended gravy. Again, my apologies. The article certainly wasn't intended to be mean spirited or to screw with anyone. Hook 'Em!

= Ice Man =
Yeah, your mission was accomplished. Congratulations.

It's kind of like when Huff posted "Cedric to the Titans..." or "done deal, _______ to the Cowboys."

Hey, but whatever, I'm in the minority here so I'll drop it. I just dont' really expect it from you, that's all. Won't ruin my day.

massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =

if two guys were offended out of 100, i think you can probably count this one in the win column. hell, some guys would bitch if you hung'em with new rope.
smilie2.gif

Originally posted by GDforHC:
massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =
Yeah, your mission was accomplished. Congratulations.

It's kind of like when Huff posted "Cedric to the Titans..." or "done deal, _______ to the Cowboys."

Hey, but whatever, I'm in the minority here so I'll drop it. I just dont' really expect it from you, that's all. Won't ruin my day.
You know, I really appreciate you saying your peace (or is it piece?). No need to feel like you can't. I wasn't trying to be malicious, hurt any feelings, tick anyone off, or be act like one of our resident juvenile brats. That's not my character, as I appreciate you pointing out. I just wanted to introduce a discussion topic and have a wee bit of fun in the process. Consider your input given and well received. This will be the last of my RRs. But, come April Fools.....don't click on any of my threads!
smilie2.gif

Originally posted by Armadillo Slim:

massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =

if two guys were offended out of 100, i think you can probably count this one in the win column. hell, some guys would bitch if you hung'em with new rope.
smilie2.gif

laugh.gif

They are the same ones claim they throw (insert name of uber hot chick here) out of bed for eating crackers.

Well played AS, have a great weekend.

Good job Ice.

Originally posted by echeese:

Originally posted by Armadillo Slim:

massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =

smilie2.gif

laugh.gif

They are the same ones claim they throw (insert name of uber hot chick here) out of bed for eating crackers.

Well played AS, have a great weekend.

Good job Ice.

That's bs. I don't have hig hstandards when it comes to that.

Well done and appreciate the work. Confess I wasn't convinced but did hope it true and smile throughout, no love from/for B12. If only 2 folks get pissed you're doing better than Jesus or anybody else. Cheers Ice.

massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =

good grief don't be silly. I live for doing stuff like this (harmless gags). I forwarded it to some friends and took second hand credit for the gag!

Good stuff

Pretty nicely written. Only a couple of editing giveaways though.
That second paragraph is VERY difficult to proof. Tricky construction. However, you do need an apostrophe after "CBS Sports", since that's a possesive. Thus, "CBS Sports' partner conference, the ACC".

Same sentence, lose the comma between "Director" and "Deloss Dodds".

Still same sentence, lose the comma between "Commissioner" and "John Swofford".

Same comma issue: In the fourth paragraph, second sentence, lose the commas before and after "Nebraska".

Again, same comma issue at the end of this paragraph - however, the "the" before Big East makes that tricky. My advice would be to rewrite the end of this sentence like so:
"...the Big XII has languished behind more notable basketball conferences, namely the Big East and the ACC, in both post seasons performance and reputation."

Fifth paragraph, third sentence - there's an extra "a" in there, right after "Currently ranking".

Penultimate paragraph, third sentence - lose the comma after "Big East member".

Last paragraph, last sentence - AP Style dictates that number under 10 should be written out. Hence, it should read "six to eight additional teams".

Good prank, though.
laugh.gif

massybv & GDforHC-

= Ice Man =

No reason to apologize my man, just didn't think it was thaaaat funny. I figured there was no way it was real after about the first two sentences and scrolled down to verify through the link, and boom. Only time one should get mad about a RR is if it's the looping one.

I did think posting it on the MB was ghey.

This has definitely made its way over to the OU boards and they are throwing major fits. Someone posted the "article" and it is now the longest thread on one of the sites.

The typical whiny Longhorns, the "can't beat 'em so leave 'em", we have 6 conference championships crap. Also claiming Texas will lose any luster it has in recruiting and they'll just come in and take them all.

Guess they're unaware Texas never wanted to join this crap conference in the first place, and they're tired of carrying the monetary load.

A few have said they do want to see divisions dropped to have a more legitimate championship game played between the actual 2 best teams in the conference, so I'll give them that small credit.

Originally posted by Reiko384:
This has definitely made its way over to the OU boards and they are throwing major fits. Someone posted the "article" and it is now the longest thread on one of the sites.

The typical whiny Longhorns, the "can't beat 'em so leave 'em", we have 6 conference championships crap. Also claiming Texas will lose any luster it has in recruiting and they'll just come in and take them all.

Guess they're unaware Texas never wanted to join this crap conference in the first place, and they're tired of carrying the monetary load.

A few have said they do want to see divisions dropped to have a more legitimate championship game played between the actual 2 best teams in the conference, so I'll give them that small credit.

Wow... they still haven't caught on that it isn't true?...
indifferent.gif

No, most realized it wasn't real, but that's still the general reaction regardless.

Originally posted by jdanmiller:
Jeff - This story sparkles just like the diamonds you broker. Great job!
Dan, I'm giving you a free pass since it's so late.
smilie2.gif

~ Lake

Originally posted by jdanmiller:
Jeff - This story sparkles just like the diamonds you broker. Great job!
Dan, I'm giving you a free pass since it's so late.
smilie2.gif

~ Lake

Sorry - It's been a long day and I am not thinking very straight! Doesn't change the fact that the "news release" was absolutely BRILLIANT! Now it needs to make the email rounds and have people checking with Snopes to see if it's true or not. I think that your scenario for what would happen to the rest of the Big 12 if we went to the ACC is very accurate. Again, my apologies Lake.

By the way, I think David has a referral for you - he was telling me about it earlier tonight.
Dan

I meant to say this days ago, but got distracted. Excellent work, Ice. The best part is that it just keeps on delivering. GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT