ADVERTISEMENT

Texas vs Ou thread

I will say this though. I feel much more comfortable with him as the backup/emergency QB than I did a few weeks ago.

Seems everyone is more on the same page about what he can do well and his glaring weaknesses. Coaches, receivers, himself.
Card is only a sophomore and his issues are fixable regarding not connecting on the long ball and throwing the ball away if nobody is open. With a little time and experience he will not only process his reads faster and deliver the ball more confidentally, but will learn when to use his speed. I know his ankle is injured, but the team would benefit from Card running the ball 2-3 more times per game.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
310400547_5448394875239022_6515924553907371175_n.jpg
I am not bragging, nor am I an artist, but I could have added at least a thousand more “sucks” in that drawing.

I just read a stat the higher ranked team has won 19 of the last 24 RRS. So take that for what's it worth. I don't really know who's ranked higher at this point because we are both out of the top 25.

Card is only a sophomore and his issues are fixable regarding not connecting on the long ball and throwing the ball away if nobody is open. With a little time and experience he will not only process his reads faster and deliver the ball more confidentally, but will learn when to use his speed. I know his ankle is injured, but the team would benefit from Card running the ball 2-3 more times per game.

Arm strength is not fixable west. It's just not. He isn't going to be the QB at the University of Texas long term.

He's had plenty of time to show progress in how fast he can process a defense. Card is successful because Texas is calling plays that either have zero read, or very easy reads...like the RPO triple option...which is a sweet play btw.

Card will never be able to sit and process 3-4 man routes at multiple levels. He just won't.

Love the kid and his grit. I'll happily eat crow if he leads Texas to a conference title and/or natty. But I don't see it.

Wonder if @Belldozer1 remembers saying this one lol

[IMG alt="Belldozer1"]https://rivals-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/forums/texas/data/avatars/m/27/27872.jpg?1484254345[/IMG]

Belldozer1

Well-Known Member​

Now when you say sleeper team what exactly are you meaning? They won’t be competing for the conference probably middl of the pack if I had to guess/ Baylor about to get reminded of the pecking order this year; soft Riley is gone.

im already on record saying OU’s offense under Venables will be statistically better this year than under Riley’s 5th year as the OU coach. Pathetic No doubt OU defense will be better. I make my predictions well known beforehand not after the fact like some folks on this board. It's happening btw

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
I said TT would overachieve and win 8 games I never said they would win the Big XII.

And as far as Baylor goes I did pick them to win the Big XII. They got a good team and Aranda is a good coach. But they lost to many skill players from last year.

heres a fun fact/piss you off/ should make you want Texas to fkin drop 60 on blowu Saturday?

Wanna know the last time Texas was Favored against BlowU??

Anyone?

TWO THOUSAND FKING NINE.....

You know the thing about OK's offense is they have so many explosive plays. It's why they came from way behind so many times in the LR era and it's what kept them close in the KSU game.

Most explosive plays for teams is 20+. At OK it's 30+. Baylor held them to just a few and that's one reason why they won. But against TCU they only had 1. It's 1 reason why OK got blown out.

I don't know what TCU did and last year Baylor had somebody spying on Williams.

What I'm trying to ask you former players can we do what Baylor and TCU did to limit their big play capability? We never did it in the LR era.

You know the thing about OK's offense is they have so many explosive plays. It's why they came from way behind so many times in the LR era and it's what kept them close in the KSU game.

Most explosive plays for teams is 20+. At OK it's 30+. Baylor held them to just a few and that's one reason why they won. But against TCU they only had 1. It's 1 reason why OK got blown out.

I don't know what TCU did and last year Baylor had somebody spying on Williams.

What I'm trying to ask you former players can we do what Baylor and TCU did to limit their big play capability? We never did it in the LR era.
Secondary, man coverage and allow zero receptions beyond 15yds out. They are now commonly taught no holds barred beyond 15yds because a 15yd penalty is much better than a 30yd+ reception. Put the onus on the ref.
Everyone else focus on stopping the run and giving the QB hell.

Done.

Reactions: hookem777
I’m thrilled that Ewers is likely to play but the reality is that he’s still developing and will make a ton of mistakes early in his career. On the flip side, he’s going to make plays too. He needs reps badly. I wish he hadn’t been injured and missed so much time. These last few weeks would’ve accelerated his growth as a QB under Sark’s tutelage.

Reactions: westx and hookem777
I’m thrilled that Ewers is likely to play but the reality is that he’s still developing and will make a ton of mistakes early in his career. On the flip side, he’s going to make plays too. He needs reps badly. I wish he hadn’t been injured and missed so much time. These last few weeks would’ve accelerated his growth as a QB under Sark’s tutelage.
Call me crazy but I think with Quinn we have a decent shot to run the table or possibly just drop 1 more game and make the conference championship game.

Reactions: hookem777
Call me crazy but I think with Quinn we have a decent shot to run the table or possibly just drop 1 more game and make the conference championship game.

The key is going to be how quickly he adapts to defenses making adjustments on him as they accumulate more film.

Avg. QBs can do it after a couple games
Good QBs do it game to game
Elite QBs can do it series to series within each game.

The key is going to be how quickly he adapts to defenses making adjustments on him as they accumulate more film.

Avg. QBs can do it after a couple games
Good QBs do it game to game
Elite QBs can do it series to series within each game.
I just know from what I have seen from him in high school and the 5 quarters he played this season that he's going to adapt to the speed of the college game pretty quickly in my opinion. You could almost see it in that first game against La Monroe when he threw that interception on the first drive but from then on he settled in nicely. Then in that Bama game he came out on fire. His arm talent is off the charts. It's kind of disappointing because I think if he doesn't go down we are probably sitting at 5-0 right now.

It's also going to help our running game I believe. Teams have been putting 7 to 8 guys in the box and daring Card to beat them with his arm. WV came in with that plan and finally Card was able to do that.

I could be completely wrong but that's just my thoughts.

I said TT would overachieve and win 8 games I never said they would win the Big XII.

And as far as Baylor goes I did pick them to win the Big XII. They got a good team and Aranda is a good coach. But they lost to many skill players from last year.
Baylor fans are whining about their play calling. Guess Aranda bleeds like the rest.

Baylor fans are whining about their play calling. Guess Aranda bleeds like the rest.
I don't think it's their play calling. They lost their leading rusher and receiver from last years team. On top of that their essentially breaking in a new QB with Shapen. He played some last season but with young QBs there's always growing pains. On defense they lost 3 really good players from their secondary and 1 LB to the NFL draft.

Reactions: westx
Hi Crazy, nice to meet you.

I think we'd probably be in the running for the CCG but Okielite looks to be the cream of the B12 crop this year with KSt & KU (still doesn't feel right) not far behind. We'd have to run the table with the exception of OSt. Possible but not likely this year.

I think we'd probably be in the running for the CCG but Okielite looks to be the cream of the B12 crop this year with KSt & KU (still doesn't feel right) not far behind. We'd have to run the table with the exception of OSt. Possible but not likely this year.
If we have Quinn back on 10/22/22 we can beat them.

Spencer Sanders is an interception waiting for a game to happen.

Hey, he personally gift wrapped the title game to Baylor. Baylor should have given him the game ball.

And remember how he played against us the last time we were in Stillwater.

If Quinn plays better than Sanders on 10/22 we will win.

I'm just not sold on Spencer Sanders like the rest of the world is. I have never seen anything from him that just scares me. Ok. St. lost a lot of production off of last years defense and on top of that they lost Jim Knowles who was a hell of a DC. And it shows in their defensive ranking this year because they are outside the top 50 in defense.

I just know from what I have seen from our team and watching the rest of the teams in the Big 12 that there isn't a team we can't beat the rest of the way. But with that being said there's not a big gap in talent in any of the teams left on the schedule so we could easily drop another 3-4 games.

Now if Card was going to be our QB the rest of the way then I wouldn't be saying that. But I say that because I have a ton of faith in Quinn and his abilities to put this offense over the top.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I just know from what I have seen from him in high school and the 5 quarters he played this season that he's going to adapt to the speed of the college game pretty quickly in my opinion. You could almost see it in that first game against La Monroe when he threw that interception on the first drive but from then on he settled in nicely. Then in that Bama game he came out on fire. His arm talent is off the charts. It's kind of disappointing because I think if he doesn't go down we are probably sitting at 5-0 right now.

It's also going to help our running game I believe. Teams have been putting 7 to 8 guys in the box and daring Card to beat them with his arm. WV came in with that plan and finally Card was able to do that.

I could be completely wrong but that's just my thoughts.

Agreed.

There will be games where he struggles early. Doesn't process quickly...misses some reads or throws a pic. Can he make the plays in the end of the game to overcome those errors or not. That is the question.

Just like Bryce Young vs. Texas. Struggled all game, then delivered when needed.

There will be a couple of those games. Every QB has them at all levels, sometimes even against lesser competition. The elite ones just figure it out. Is Quinn elite, or just above average? I'm excited to find out.

I'm just not sold on Spencer Sanders like the rest of the world is. I have never seen anything from him that just scares me. Ok. St. lost a lot of production off of last years defense and on top of that they lost Jim Knowles who was a hell of a DC. And it shows in their defensive ranking this year because they are outside the top 50 in defense.

I just know from what I have seen from our team and watching the rest of the teams in the Big 12 that there isn't a team we can't beat the rest of the way. But with that being said there's not a big gap in talent in any of the teams left on the schedule so we could easily drop another 3-4 games.

Now if Card was going to be our QB the rest of the way then I wouldn't be saying that. But I say that because I have a ton of faith in Quinn and his abilities to put this offense over the top.

The best team BY FAR that oSu has played is Baylor. And Baylor is pretty average this year. I think you will see 2-3 losses from here on out for the pokes. But 9-3 is still a damn fine year for them after what they lost on defense.

The best team BY FAR that oSu has played is Baylor. And Baylor is pretty average this year. I think you will see 2-3 losses from here on out for the pokes. But 9-3 is still a damn fine year for them after what they lost on defense.
Knowles was a huge loss for Ok. St.. That guy can flat out coach defense. He has transformed Ohio State's already this season into a top 10 unit nationally.

I remember a few years ago when TCU had a fantastic team they should have been in the playoffs they were that good.

Sonny Cumbie came in and built an offense around Trevon Boykin and they put up huge numbers and had a great defense to go with it.

What I'm trying to say is does TCU have that kind of team again? I think they'll put KS in their place on Saturday and probably convincingly.

Just sayin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT