ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the season and the rest of Charlie's time here

Did I say Watson was a good hire? No that would be one of the mistakes. And by the way Texas has been missing on the QB position for much of the last decade. A big reason Strong is here to begin with. I also disagree that if it was about talent Strong would still have his same staff. Unlike most I don't see coaching staff changes as some kind of weakness. Needs change, styles change, maybe what you thought would be a good fit wasn't. Especially after the first year. Now if you continue to get staff hires wrong that's an issue. It appears though that Charlie has made the right changes. It will be interesting to see what he does at DC. I'd like to see him keep calling it and maybe bring in a young guy/good recruiter to maybe do the gsme planning.
All of them except Traylor have been fired or demoted in less than 3 seasons. That's unprecedented at Texas, right? That's more than some changes. That's a complete overhaul because he got it all wrong the first time. All wrong.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Bottom line - Strong has blown a lot of opportunities in recruiting and with hiring. If he wins 8 and is competitive in a bowl game, he should return.

Additionally, Watson recruited 4 star QB Kai Locksley (enrolled at UT in June 2015). He was moved to WR and transferred from UT. Poor coaching and talent evaluation.

Watson also recruited QB Matthew Merrick (redshirted in 2015). True freshman QB Shane Buchele is our starter. Once again, it appears that Merrick was a miss at the QB position.
@ryan_sublett, you say there wasn't a ton Strong could do about a QB. He and his staff could have been better QB talent evaluators of the above.

Win 3 out of last 4,he stays I have heard,UWV is ranked #11 in the country,good players,Did anyone watch TCU vs Baylor,TCU ripped them apart and won by 40,Texas beat Baylor by 1.I would state the odds are stacked against him but as a Texas fan I hope the team can win and pull it off.

@ryan_sublett, you say there wasn't a ton Strong could do about a QB. He and his staff could have been better QB talent evaluators of the above.
What do you mean? They inherited Swoops, Ash, and Heard

They went and got Shane one of the best QB recruits out there who is stsrting and playing well as a freshman. They didn't "miss" on Kai. He changed positions and transferred largely because he wasn't going to see the field. Oh and they have another highly rated QB coming in.

So how exactly could they evaluate it better? The only mistake I think they made is not going with Heard and a spread style from gsme 1.

This is why the outside perception is Strong is getting a raw deal the goal posts keep moving

"It's all about wins"
Strong gets on a bit of a roll
"Yeah but he's making coaching mistakes"

He brings in what could be the best QB since VY forget colt

"Yeah but he missed on"

It just feels like there is always yeah but with Strong. That's why I say regardless of what happens the two sides need to seperste. I don't think there is any number of wins that will ever satisfy some when it comes to Charlie Strong

What do you mean? They inherited Swoops, Ash, and Heard

They went and got Shane one of the best QB recruits out there who is stsrting and playing well as a freshman. They didn't "miss" on Kai. He changed positions and transferred largely because he wasn't going to see the field. Oh and they have another highly rated QB coming in.

So how exactly could they evaluate it better? The only mistake I think they made is not going with Heard and a spread style from gsme 1.
Shane is playing great. No one will dispute that. But, there is a reason a QB switches to WR-not a good QB or the coach is terrible. Well, our original OC/QB coach has been replaced and Kai transferred. So, we will never know what Kai would have looked like as a QB for Gilbert.

The 2014 and 2015 QB recruiting didnt go well for Strong. 2016 was better- Shane Buchele. The jury is out on 2017. No one has signed and the high school player has to produce wins at Texas for relevance. The argument isn't based on perception. It's based on outcomes.

Reactions: westx
You do understand on sports message boards people criticize mistakes related to sports? Don't you?
Sure I do. Doesn't mean prespective should be non existent. Every week during the week we say "Strong needs to win". On Saturday he wins and some say "here's why that wasn't good enough". If we're looking for an OC who never makes a bad call or a coach who never makes a mistake by all means fire Strong but be ready to fire the next guy to.

This is why the outside perception is Strong is getting a raw deal the goal posts keep moving

"It's all about wins"
Strong gets on a bit of a roll
"Yeah but he's making coaching mistakes"

He brings in what could be the best QB since VY forget colt

"Yeah but he missed on"

It just feels like there is always yeah but with Strong. That's why I say regardless of what happens the two sides need to seperste. I don't think there is any number of wins that will ever satisfy some when it comes to Charlie Strong
You seem to believe that a coach is above being critiqued.

Every Texas coach will have to earn their job every season - Strong is no different. He got the job and pay for his performance at Louisville. Regardless of any situation, he cannot expect (nor can you) to be paid for losing and bad decisions.

He got on the hot seat for: losing seasons, breaking records that losers break, having to fire his coordinators and most of his original staff, making simple coaching errors (referees explaining to accept a penalty, 3 blocked field goals in a half, failure to adapt to the other teams' game plan), penalties, poor defense (his specialty), poor offense, poor special teams, etc.

Texas is very forgiving and willing to look past all of that if he can get to 7-5 or 8-4.

Shane is playing great. No one will dispute that. But, there is a reason a QB switches to WR-not a good QB or the coach is terrible. Well, our original OC/QB coach has been replaced and Kai transferred. So, we will never know what Kai would have looked like as a QB for Gilbert.

The 2014 and 2015 QB recruiting didnt go well for Strong. 2016 was better- Shane Buchele. The jury is out on 2017. No one has signed and the high school player has to produce wins at Texas for relevance. The argument isn't based on perception. It's based on outcomes.
Systems change and certain players were recruited to run a certain system and no longer fit. Or they were recruited by a certain coach and that coach(AC orHC) leaves and the kid transfers. Happens in every program in college football. Texas has benefited from it at times. I don't knock the coach or the player for that. The HC has to make a judgement on what's best for the team and future of the program. Even if it means losing a player or two. Strong made the right call switching to Gilberts system. Shane is the starter for the next 3-4 years. Got another one coming next year. Best of luck to Kai. That's how I see it anyway

You seem to believe that a coach is above being critiqued.

Every Texas coach will have to earn their job every season - Strong is no different. He got the job and pay for his performance at Louisville. Regardless of any situation, he cannot expect (nor can you) to be paid for losing and bad decisions.

He got on the hot seat for: losing seasons, breaking records that losers break, having to fire his coordinators and most of his original staff, making simple coaching errors (referees explaining to accept a penalty, 3 blocked field goals in a half, failure to adapt to the other team's game plan), penalties, poor defense (his specialty), poor offense, poor special teams, etc.

Texas is very forgiving and willing to look past all of that if he can get to 7-5 or 8-4.
Critique is fine. I avoid it most of the time because there is a lot that goes on in making decisions that we don't have access to, but it's fine. Imo the stuff with Strong has gone above critisim. I just think the enviorment has become to toxic for him to really succeed here and both sides should move on.

For example we all know Watson was a mistake. He's gone and he's not coming back. To bring that up as a reason Strong should be fired to me is out of bounds. He's since moved oN, and if you didn't fire him last year the Watson thing is a dead topic

He should of brought in a grad transfer QB. Agsin then fire him last year... as of now dead topic

I just feel like there is so many people that wanted him gone last year they are gonna keep banging these drums basically forever. Not telling anyone how to be a fan just not something I choose to do. And if that's what is going on inside the boosters we need to either seperste from Stromg or let the past be the past and focus on the now.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Systems change and certain players were recruited to run a certain system and no longer fit. Or they were recruited by a certain coach and that coach(AC orHC) leaves and the kid transfers. Happens in every program in college football. Texas has benefited from it at times. I don't knock the coach or the player for that. The HC has to make a judgement on what's best for the team and future of the program. Even if it means losing a player or two. Strong made the right call switching to Gilberts system. Shane is the starter for the next 3-4 years. Got another one coming next year. Best of luck to Kai. That's how I see it anyway
The Big 12 is a spread conference. That was the right call from the start-it shouldn't take 2 seasons to discover that. But, I'm glad he finally did.

I'm glad, after 2 plus seasons, Strong realized our players weren't learning to execute basic defense and fundamentals from his DC Bedford.

I hope this isn't representative of how fast it takes Strong to learn when things aren't going well and he needs a change/intervention. I'm hopeful that was his steep learning curve to transition to the Big 12 and we are beyond it now.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Critique is fine. I avoid it most of the time because there is a lot that goes on in making decisions that we don't have access to, but it's fine. Imo the stuff with Strong has gone above critisim. I just think the enviorment has become to toxic for him to really succeed here and both sides should move on.

For example we all know Watson was a mistake. He's gone and he's not coming back. To bring that up as a reason Strong should be fired to me is out of bounds. He's since moved oN, and if you didn't fire him last year the Watson thing is a dead topic

He should of brought in a grad transfer QB. Agsin then fire him last year... as of now dead topic

I just feel like there is so many people that wanted him gone last year they are gonna keep banging these drums basically forever. Not telling anyone how to be a fan just not something I choose to do. And if that's what is going on inside the boosters we need to either seperste from Stromg or let the past be the past and focus on the now.
Trends are never dead. Mistakes are forgiven. But, when you continue making mistakes or repetitively make the same ones, it is concerning.

I am not so upset with the wrong staff hires as that sort of thing happens everywhere. What pisses me off is the confused clusterfu*k play on the field that has been around since CS got here. Since Gilbert took over the OC role, that side of the ball at least acts like it knows what it is doing. Since Strong took over the DC job that side of the ball has finally started looking better each week. My complaint is.....why has this taken so damned long?

That's why I think the two sides need to separate. Charlie basically came in to this year fired and had to save his job.

No he came into this year needing to put up or shut up. Seriously, some people here act like they have never had a job before.

Seriously, if you are a jet fighter and in your first year flying an F-18, you crash it, then in year 2 you get another one and you crash that one. Then in year 3 you crash that one. At what point do you lose your wings?

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I disagree. When you have boosters saying "well I'm not rooting against them but I'm hoping for a loss so this can be over". That's not buisness that is kind of personal.

Keep in mind, those same boosters are extremely successful businessmen, they know a lame duck when they see one. My only issue is to say that shit to the press. To be honest I also know Charlie is a lame duck coach, but I have held back saying it because I really want him to somehow turn this around.

Bottom line is he needs 3-0 between now and T+2 to insure he gets another year, and if by chance he gets his 3-0, next year he needs 10 wins minimum. This isn't going to get easier. If he wants easier, I'm sure Texas State will welcome him in with open arms.

I just feel like there is so many people that wanted him gone last year they are gonna keep banging these drums basically forever.

Hiring, coaching, and recruiting mistakes are hard to see real time - it's only after some time and games that you see how they pan out.

I don't think most people are out to get strong, but back to back losing seasons and minimal W-L improvement in the third year deserves criticism. If Strong comes in and goes 8-5, 10-3, and then another 10-win season, 95% of that criticism flies out the window. But instead, we're sitting here looking at another 6-6 and trying to point out how and why we suck so bad.

Also, rooting for a team to lose to get rid of the coach can definitely be a business, not personal, decision. You don't want employees who do the bare minimum to not get fired, because they suck but you don't feel right firing them. So your business just scrapes by, when it could be doing much better if you just got that guy out of there.

So the only way we can critique someone is if we do it before they screw up? Strange.

A person in ANY job should be judged by the entirety of the job. Your logic is if a coach wins his last game of the season he is therefore on track and the school and fans are just being too critical when he lost 7 games during that season....?

Many of us wanted and still want Strong to succeed...but....we give our reasons WHY we think he is not the guy. Does not make us too critical or impossible to satisfy. The records he has set have been the "worst" in school history...my God he can ONLY go up from here.

So the only way we can critique someone is if we do it before they screw up? Strange.

A person in ANY job should be judged by the entirety of the job. Your logic is if a coach wins his last game of the season he is therefore on track and the school and fans are just being too critical when he lost 7 games during that season....?

Many of us wanted and still want Strong to succeed...but....we give our reasons WHY we think he is not the guy. Does not make us too critical or impossible to satisfy. The records he has set have been the "worst" in school history...my God he can ONLY go up from here.

Even I'll admit that no one should accuse you of that. You have been consistently ripping him since the vary beginning. You didn't just wait until he was really down.

I will always go back to this analogy.

If you pay a race car driver $5M a year to win the Daytona 500 and when he shows up to the race, you give him a go-cart, you can't get too mad that he comes in dead last. When he can build a car that can compete as fast as you like, you can't get too mad. You can criticize his decisions and why he hired a pit crew you didn't like, but you honestly have to ask yourself would a different pick crew have turned a go-cart to a winning car any faster.

I personaly don't think they would have. That is one point that you and I disagree on. The other is whether or not he was given a go-cart. That's probably something we are not going to ever see eye to eye on.

My biggest problem is the assertion that the more you make, the faster you should do something. Faster isn't always better.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Even I'll admit that no one should accuse you of that. You have been consistently ripping him since the vary beginning. You didn't just wait until he was really down.

I will always go back to this analogy.

If you pay a race car driver $5M a year to win the Daytona 500 and when he shows up to the race, you give him a go-cart, you can't get too mad that he comes in dead last. When he can build a car that can compete as fast as you like, you can't get too mad. You can criticize his decisions and why he hired a pit crew you didn't like, but you honestly have to ask yourself would a different pick crew have turned a go-cart to a winning car any faster.

I personaly don't think they would have. That is one point that you and I disagree on. The other is whether or not he was given a go-cart. That's probably something we are not going to ever see eye to eye on.

My biggest problem is the assertion that the more you make, the faster you should do something. Faster isn't always better.
I ripped the Watson hire before he ever called a play.....I was right.

I ripped Strong for saying in his first press conf (caught hell from you and others for it) that he would have a wide open fast paced offense and then going with the train wreck he went with.

I never ripped Strong for anything that he should not have been ripped for. Strong made the hires he made and he was not made to make them. Strong is the one who went with Watson the 2nd year when the first was the worst offense I have ever witnessed at Texas. Strong is the one who kept Bedford as DC after the worst performances on defense I have ever seen at Texas.

For those of you saying it is just "talent" issues.....Why fire Brown then? Why not just give him time to get "talent" back to Texas.....after all he had PROVEN he could get talent into Texas. He had proven he could win a National Championship and should have gotten 2....at least.

You are saying Brown should have been fired because he did things over time to show the program was headed in the wrong direction. I agree Brown should have been fired. It is just you give Strong all the benefits of a doubt for some reason.

As far as your analogy the race car vs. go cart battles.....Are you saying Texas ONLY lost because they did not have the talent of the teams they lost to? Texas played the best they could with what they had? No other reasons? I disagree and you are right...we will never agree on that. I don't think Texas should have won every game the last 3 years. I do think the blowouts and the inconsistency and game management are unacceptable at Texas.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
He's back in 2017, this team isn't going to give up on him. It's become rather obvious that he is a better HC when he is hands on.

While there are still in game situations that bug the shit out of me. I don't mind seeing him back with the kids we have.

He's back in 2017, this team isn't going to give up on him. It's become rather obvious that he is a better HC when he is hands on.

While there are still in game situations that bug the shit out of me. I don't mind seeing him back with the kids we have.

I agree. Plus there is no one really out there that moves the needle much. I think we lose one more game. He'll close up solid in recruiting with recruiting not going to pull off a top 5 class but solid. It's 10 wins or gone next year.

Mack got fired after going 8-5, Charlie is still hoping to break the .500 plateau in his 3rd year. That is horrible to be permitted at a blue blood school like Texas.

Absolutely reasonable argument against Strong remaining. That's why he's fighting for his job. 7-5 probably gets him another year though.

Mack got fired after going 8-5, Charlie is still hoping to break the .500 plateau in his 3rd year. That is horrible to be permitted at a blue blood school like Texas.

It's life, we aren't getting a new coach every 3 years. Even if they aren't the answer some of the hires are going to get a 4th year.

Reactions: TexExSpur
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT